Cost-Benefit Analysis of Fixing Up an Old Conshelf vs Just Buying a New Reg

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Just bought 4 "new" Conshelf 14s (guy claimed they were leftover inventory from when he shuttered a Caribbean dive shop). One went to Japan/Australia to live with @buddhasummer as he favors the Conshelfs (though when he received it he said he remembered why he like the 21 better than the 14 (for him, was hose routing.)

The Conshelfs are dead easy to work on, and parts kits are still plentiful. Yours should be a great candidate to learn on, particularly since parts kits are there

I will likely move one of the three I still have and keep the other two for the duration. I snagged 10 parts kits from Amron International. Closing in on 60 YO, I figure that's probably a lifetime supply.

They still offer the rig, new, primarily to public safety and commercial dive community:

I understand that Silent explorers also has kits, but I don't believe they are AL OEM. Not that there's anything wrong with that ... I don't think AL has some special access to magical o-rings ...

Keep it. Or pass it on to one of us.

1726097540081.png

Hi
Question :)
I often see posts and pictures about this Conshelf first stage but can it be found-modified in DIN?

@jale I've never seen one in DIN, but the Mares I have that apparently uses the same parts is a DIN

Hi
Question :)
I often see posts and pictures about this Conshelf first stage but can it be found-modified in DIN?
There are Conshelf DIN kits, but I believe they are hard to come by.

All I can say about servicing the Conshelf is that I have an LDS that just did a C 21 first stage for me, and if all else fails, there are places it can be shipped to for service. This has been covered here already.

I will say that the C 21 first is my favorite of the lot for its 4 LP and 1 HP port configuration, a feature that won't be noticeable for your pony bottle application, but one which is very useful using it as your primary regulator. My preference for metal seconds dictates that I use a C XIV or other 1085 box for that purpose, so I mix and match generations to get what I want. (The C XIV first has one less LP outlet and arrangement is less handy for me.)

I haven't done a DIY build on either of my C21 first stage regs yet, but I've now accumulated the parts, tools, and information to do so when needed. At 75 YO I plan to do the rest of my diving with the regs I've got though. I won't be buying a new one.

Froggie 🐸

PS I know this is off topic, but the Aqua Lung Aquarius is an even easier to rebuild 1st stage, and I have one in my chowder box in case I decide I need a pony bottle.🤔

@Green Frog Good to hear. I too like the 4 LP port config. My current first stage, a Tusa RS1001, is a 2 HP, 4 LP config, which is frankly more than I need right now, but if I should ever get into drysuit diving (It's on the list, eventually) I'll appreciate that fourth port.

As for pony bottles, mine's not set up yet, as I'm lacking a (working) reg for it, but I definitely think they're a good thing to have. Self-reliance, versatility, they don't weigh that much (assuming a standard 19 cu ft pony), and if you plan it right they make good stage bottles for longer dives.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom