Cost-Benefit Analysis of Fixing Up an Old Conshelf vs Just Buying a New Reg

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

@herman @James79 @Still Kicking I mean, I guess it is just for use as a pony reg, so I should get plenty of chances to ensure it works properly without any risk. I’ll look into it. Any tips where to start when it comes to Conshelf 21?

To mail it for service to the place I found that will service the first stage will cost about ~$100 (including parts and labor).
This may be the mail in service option you mention, Airtech in NC has a good reputation. I have been happy with the work they did on my used regulator purchases.
Airtech price list shows 1st stage service cost of $35 excluding service kit, the service kit should be $35 or less.

If you ever do go DIY, the Cost-Benefit of used vs new can lean nicely in favor of proven regulators such as Conshelf 21 and many others. If paying someone else to do the service work, its a bit more of a grey area but still can be worthwhile.
In this situation I would pay for service and keep the Conshelf 21 vs buy new since it has standard size ports and is a solid first stage.

Regarding trade in value, unlikely you could get trade in credit from LDS but depending on condition you could find a buyer in the $35 to $50 range.

@herman @James79 @Still Kicking I mean, I guess it is just for use as a pony reg, so I should get plenty of chances to ensure it works properly without any risk. I’ll look into it. Any tips where to start when it comes to Conshelf 21?
Parts wise, silent explorers has a 1st stage kit for approximately $35; Silent Explorers Maple Grove Minnesot United States Online SCUBA
Second stage should only need a soft seat and a -14 o-ring... I punch my own seats from a sheet of silicone. I'll mail you the seat and an o-ring if you do me an address to mail it to.
Vintage double hose has a link at the bottom for manual... Just use the Conshelf XIV manual for all Conshelf 1sts.
The late Bryan of VDH did a video on it; If you have any questions, feel free to shoot me a message... My kids and I dive all metal Conshelfs that I maintain.

Respectfully,

James

FYI, the guys at Airtech are first rate, well trained and professional, I know them well as they are local to me. Matter of fact, I was trained in reg repair by the owner of Airtech .

the import stuff is cheap enough that paying for servicing of old regs may not make sense. dive it till it creeps then replace it.

@James79 The offer is greatly appreciated. I'm going to watch the videos and I might take you up on the parts offer. However, I've discovered something that makes me a bit more apprehensive. I hooked the regset up to my tank and cut the valve on; there's a steady leak from the primary second stage.

@herman The airtech rep I spoke to said they could not service the second stage, and that servicing the first stage would cost ~$85 all told. Factoring in shipping, I question if getting such an old reg up and running is worth it, especially without a second stage for it. I'd love to hear your thoughts on the subject.

and @runsongas Can you share more info about that reg? $70 is frankly alarmingly cheap. It says "for stage/pony bottles" Is it not useable on a main tank?

due to the design, its not as recommended for a main reg where you might have two stressed divers breathing off it at the same time during an emergency because if you put two high flow 2nd stages on it, the piston design might not keep up. but its perfectly usable for most normal scenarios.

@James79 The offer is greatly appreciated. I'm going to watch the videos and I might take you up on the parts offer. However, I've discovered something that makes me a bit more apprehensive. I hooked the regset up to my tank and cut the valve on; there's a steady leak from the primary second stage
Two things can typically cause that (both are actually normal reasons for servicing). One is high IP (intermediate pressure), generally caused by HP seat wear (first stage valve seat). This can be checked with an IP gauge (I feel every diver should have one, just to monitor the health of their regs); Amazon.com
The other common cause is second stage seat wear/taking a set. The seat in these second stages is just a rubber puck.... I've done a beach side repair by just flipping the seat, (using the previously untouched side), but a full teardown/servicing also allows for a good thorough cleaning.

Best,

James

And they say, that when you are anxious, breathing heavily, and having had to resort to your auxilliary bottle
you should be breathing a reg that breathes best or equal to or better than the primary reg you just spat out

The Conshelf is a workhorse regulator who's design goes back 70 plus years. I cannot tell you the abuse I have put them through commercial diving. I have hooked the first stage to a K bottle lying in the floor of a boat, ran 150 feet of hose to a band mask, and worked all day in 30feet of water cutting off piles. I have hooked them to a stage bottle and ran impact tools and drills off of them at 100 feet. I have personally used Conshelf's in 270' of water at Dipolder on air. The Conshelf first stage was a standard bail out regs for sat divers.

The only part you need to buy is the high pressure seat, and occasionally a filter. You can buy a plug punch at harbor freight, a piece of red gasket material the correct thickness, and punch out 50 2nd stage seats for a few bucks. The rest is o rings.

If you find someone that knows how to tune them, they are a fine regulator. If you don't want it, please send it to me, I will fix it and add it to my collection.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom