why should I need to buy a new reg?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

rmannix:
You need a new reg
1. If parts are no longer available
2. Your current reg does not meet and cannot be upgraded for new requirements (DIR, cold water, deeper diving, Nitrox, etc)
3. To keep up with the Joneses
4. If your name is Jones, disregard reason 3

I agree with this. Getting parts for old regs would be the main issue, since they should be serviced regularly. My reg is a Dacor Pacer, probably 20 years old and works great. But when I take it in for service, the shop always moans how hard it is to get parts. I work for a company that made parts for the outside of the reg, and those dies have been collecting dust for a while now. Because of that, I will probably take advantage of the Mares trade-in offer on old Dacor regs. It expires this year, so that kind of times it for me.

Dean810:
I agree with this. Getting parts for old regs would be the main issue, since they should be serviced regularly. My reg is a Dacor Pacer, probably 20 years old and works great. But when I take it in for service, the shop always moans how hard it is to get parts. I work for a company that made parts for the outside of the reg, and those dies have been collecting dust for a while now. Because of that, I will probably take advantage of the Mares trade-in offer on old Dacor regs. It expires this year, so that kind of times it for me.

Those Pacers were nice. My first wife used one and got it when we split up. 950's seem to be getting pretty good prices on eBay lately.

rmannix:
Those Pacers were nice. My first wife used one and got it when we split up. 950's seem to be getting pretty good prices on eBay lately.

I'll get something like $150 off on a Mares Abyss when I trade it in.

mtis2000:
Why should I need to buy a new reg?
I got hold of a conshelf SE2 (probably 15 years old) with one second stage still attached to it. I read with interest an old post about oldest working regs and since the conshelf is described as a bullet-proof antique I was wondering what (other than compulsive shopping) would drive me to buy anything else as I am a newly qualified OW diver! It would be interesting to know why, you, old veterans, are making those apeks and mares companies richer while buying new shinny (or nicely matted) piece of equipment.

thanks for your always appreciated feedback.
I still have the sister reg to yours, a USD Calypso VI from 1979. It is still in excellent condition and was used this past year. My LDS owner wants it for his "scuba museum".I must confess, I bought an Atomic B2 last year because I thought it was time to update a bit. I like the lighter second stage and comfort swivel but nobody is getting my antique! I did just give away a Mares set up that was about ten years old. Your profile doesn't state where you are from but in America, the land of the free, you can have what you want. Now go get wet!

Some divers are too much concerned about the cosmetic and showup matter.

I have a Conshelf SE2 that I bought in 1990, and it still works great. A few years ago, I had an environmental kit installed. I have a bunch of Apeks regs too, and I don't notice much difference in breathing to the Conshelf.

Mike

in the mean time you were replying kindly to my earlier post I have been offered to buy a v16 proton from mares for a ridiculous (means cheap) price. but since I read your experiences I will definitlly keep my conshelf as a backup. the only drawback is the lack of octopus on the rig I got. I would love having a matching one using those nice large bore 1/2" lp port.
thanks again for your interest shown in this question of mine!

happy diving....

My wife dives a Conshelf 20 and I dove a Conshelf 21 (recent upgrade due to boredom) both were bought 2nd hand and used for 10+ years, 1000+ dives. They are tough as nails and parts are common. I will say the hose placement of the older Conshelf models is not as convient as the new stuff out there.

Back
Top Bottom