Regulator dilemma (first buy, new to diving) [scubapro] MK 25/19 evo (BT) G260 cb/S620 ti

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I came across a badly negected Mk 25 the other day. Looked as though it had never been rinsed. There was heavy corrosion on the inside of the reg body.

After an ultrasonic soak, I polished it up. Sealed no problem.

Attachments

• 20241020_143651.jpg
    20241020_143651.jpg
    73.8 KB · Views: 26
I too would echo Nemrod's choices: G260 x2 for the second stage regardless of which first stage you choose. As to the first stage, while the Mk 25 Evo will probably serve you in all circumstances, a sealed diaphragm like the Mk 19 Evo, or the soon to be released Mk17Evo2 would be my choice for cold or contaminated water, as it is less prone to free flows from ice formations or sediment ingress. Just my opinion.

I polished it up

Did you polish off the remaining chrome and copper with a lump of aluminium with sandpaper on it man

IMG_2623 (1).JPG

I have been using the MK25 since it came out circa 25 years ago and used the MK20 before that. I used it in NY/NJ/MA/RI (and all over the world) without any issues at all. I have friends who use it diving in the Great Lakes and all over the US for technical diving without ANY issues. The MK25 with the S600 second stage is sort of a standard for technical diving around the world.

I own 10 sets of the MK25 and use them in my dive school also. I own one set of the MK19 with G260. I have had the MK19 since it came out (3 years ago ?). It is really a tough choice between the two but no issues with either. I live and dive in Libya now and the standard high quality regulator they use here is the MK25/S600. All commercial fisherman and deep divers here use the MK25/S600 and they NEVER have them serviced, I mean never since there are no service center here in Libya. This combination is as bullet proof as one can get (but not as bullet proof as the Atomic regulators).

I still say go with the first package and you will never look back and say "what if..." I am sure that you are getting a sweet deal for the package.

Good luck to you and let us know what you bought. It isn't an easy decision.

BTW, I'd pick the S620Ti over the G260 without ANY doubt.
Thanks! this post helps :)

Ill let you guys know when I made the dicision!

I have been diving dual "Scubapro" MK25's with G260's for years with very favorable results. In early June, I dove the wreck of "Stolt Degali" (off the NJ coast) to 120' at 47 F and my only regret was that I had to eventually surface. Although I have put some thought into MK19's, I am completely satisfied!

"Stolt Degali"

You bring back many great memories, I dove it many times in late 80's and through the 90's.

Well now like everybody else that does, and those that don't, or haven't yet or don't know, you all can!

he told me to go for XXXXXX it's one of the best brands.
I will tell you a big secret. All commercially available regulators will deliver adequate air. Some will be big, some small, some black, some silver, some heavy, some light (and expensive). So many options. Even the historical ones do work in most cases. Just make sure you can service the reg or get it serviced, as it will serve you a long time. Like decades. In cold water you will want an environmentally sealed 1t stage instead of a piston.
I don't care about the price, I like to have a high end regulator thats below €1.000,-
Or half of that, for a single tank setup.
All I care about is that it breaths as good as possible and is durable and it won't fail me in the couple of years.
Many regs are adjustable. The easier you make them to breath the easier they will freeflow in cold water. Anyway, that's adjustable. When it comes to breathing, maybe you should take long deep deliberate breaths instead of outsourcing this to the reg.
I'll dive a lot on holidays, liveaboard
If you fly, weight matters. Carbon fibre is expensive.
So are there people who can help me choose and favor the one or the other?
Serviceability is important. Weight might be important if you travel by air a lot.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom