Regulator dilemma (first buy, new to diving) [scubapro] MK 25/19 evo (BT) G260 cb/S620 ti

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

The next purchase I want to go for some regulators. Here I thought I already decided for the Aqualung Leg3nd Elite set.
But then I spoke with my dive instructor who's a PADI Course Director, he told me to go for Scubapro, in his eye's it's one of the best brands.
You’ll get lots of opinions on different brands. For sure, ScubaPro makes good gear. However, they aren’t the only ones that do. Don’t just go by what someone says is the best.

You’ll need to get it serviced. Go around to the shops in your area and see what they are like. I don’t own a single piece of SP gear for this reason. I can’t stand the SP dive shops in my area, so don’t want to give them any business in the future.
What is important to know, I don't care about the price, I like to have a high end regulator thats below €1.000,-
All I care about is that it breaths as good as possible and is durable and it won't fail me in the couple of years. (offcourse I'll service the Regs).
I'm not sure for the future what specialties and courses I will go for, but the regs need to be future proof, so I don't have to buy new stuff in the near future.
I'll dive a lot on holidays, liveaboard, day trips. (tropical). But also dive arround Europe and my home (the Netherlands) [cold].
For now I dive Single tank.
For the cold dives, a sealed reg is better. Sealed diaphragms are generally easier to deal with at service time than sealed pistons.

DIN regs are probably more future proof when it comes to specialties down the road. That’s probably readily available in EU, but may pose a bit of a challenge for the tropical dives as some locations may only have yoke tanks. An adapter can solve that, though.

Don’t just go by what someone says is the best.
100%
I missed that part of OPs question

You’ll need to get it serviced. Go around to the shops in your area and see what they are like. I don’t own a single piece of SP gear for this reason. I can’t stand the SP dive shops in my area, so don’t want to give them any business in the future.
And this also 110%
I only started getting SP regs when I started with DIY service; my LDSs (all of them) here are all SP (some exclusive some not) shops; I can dive with them but I don’t like their dealer side — they always oversold me on stuff so I was just running away from it

Since you may be diving cold water in the future, I would go for the MK19 evo, as it's an environmentally sealed diaphragm first stage. The Mk25 is a piston reg and there is a risk of ice formation below 10C/50F.

Second stage is up to you, they will both be reliable. Pick whichever one looks cooler, I suppose.
That's what I've read on all discussions on different Forums.

My bias is mk19/g260, I use them (normal version) and love them (so far)

But here’s a recent thread about mk25/19 with a similar choice question
Thanks, I already read it.

First, don’t bother with black tech or carbon unless you love the look, I don’t generally care for the MK 25 because it’s unsealed but it is a very high performance regulator with a long history of outstanding service. The MK 19 I haven’t any experience with but I just bought one to try out since the basic architecture internally is the same as the new mk17, I can’t get the 17 yet so I went for the 19.

In general I find the G260 to be just about the best second stage available (after the D420 :wink:) I would try to get the 270 octo to pair with it.

The same thing my instructor said. I love the black, it looks to beautifull. But it isn't worth the extra price.

Have you tried the S620 ti yourself? So you know the difference between the S620 ti and G260?

Already did some dives with the MK19? Can you share your experience?

Or Mark 17 Evo 2 (more compact) with two G260 second stages and rig for primary donation. Or Mark 11 Evo (even more compact) and either two G260s or two C370s.

Yes Scubapro is a major and leading brand of scuba gear with a long history of product support, excellence and innovation.

Sealing of first stages is becoming a interweb thing. There is not much reason to bother sealing a diaphagm first stage as the only thing exposed is a stainless steel spring, unless you insist on freezing your axx off in the coldest of water I see no need for sealing. The Mark 25 Evo is a unsealed piston regulator, it is possible for debris to enter the ambient chamber and over the course of many dives scour the sealing surface or for corrosion if it is not properly rinsed. The Mark 25 Evo is CE250A certified as are all Scubapro first stages and there is no regulator on the planet that can exceed it's over the top performance (around 300 cfm), it is excessive to the point of being ridiculous. My G260 Carbons on a Mark 17 Evo:

The G260 has a larger demand diaphragm and in the opinion of some this provides a smoother and more natural response. The case is made from 30% glass fiber reinforced polyamide material and is exceptionally durable. The carbon face is carbon fiber but it is just decorative and cool looking.

The C370 and S620 are more compact second stages, the C370 has a well designed demand lever that operates smoothly and the poppet is less restrictive it is said and is known to be an exceptionally nice regulator. The S620Ti has a titanium air barrel to virtually eliminate corrosion occurring to this part.

IMO, the Mark 19 Evo is just too large, too heavy and the Mark 25 is not exactly tiny for travel. For travel purposes I would prefer the slightly more compact (and new to market) Mark 17 Evo 2 or the new Mark 11 Evo. Even the Mark 11 (prior to Evo) is 250A certified, very compact and has a (unrestricted) flow rate of nearly 200 cfm vs for example the AL Legend/Core/Helix at around 70 cfm.
Thank you for this.

If you had to choose between the MK 25 and MK 19 which one would you choose to dive with?

This is about as good as you can get from SP; First stage, second stage and Octo. Best overall. The MK25 EVO is tops and has been around since early 2000's. No issues using the MK25 in cold or warm water (I say this based on personal experience).

If you can afford it, go for it and never look back. This will satisfy ALL types of recreational diving you will ever do.

This is the second best combination. The R105 octo. isn't as good as the S270. I wouldn't get an $105 octo myself. Either an S270 or a G260/S600/S620Ti.

This combo is still a great combo and it will enable you to do all types of recreational diving.

I still prefer the first package.

NOTE: I own and used all above combo. I sold the R105 octo after I used it for few dives. I have all other first and second stages listed above.
Thank you for this post. This was just the thing I was looking for :wink:

Nice that you own all of them and tried them yourself.

You pushed me more to the S620 ti and S270.
I know this octo is a balanced one and the others are not.

The only thing I can't decide is MK25 or MK19.

I have replied to similar threads this same way. You can't beat the MK25 EVO, been diving in 43degF water without any issue. I know the diaphragm regulators have their followers, but the MK25 EVO has never failed me.
Now the important part, please get two identical second stages. When stuff goes wrong and you need the alternate regulator you want it to breath and operate as your primary. If they are identical then you can rotate their use after each service. Then both are getting the use evenly and longevity is better. If it were I, then the G260 pair is what I would buy. The S600 or S620 are great regulators, but they are more expensive without any noticeable difference in breathing. I have a pair of S600s and a pair of G250s ( the predecessor of the G260) and both breath as well as the other. Both first stages are the MK25 Evo. I will suggest that you not spend the money on titanium, it is not really worth it.
Hi Thank you for your answer.

The TI version isn't that much more expensive.
You've helped me to getting into a direction, thanks!

I have the G260 and the S620Ti, it isn't just the Ti with the S620, it is the "WoB". It is "better" breather than the G260 based on using both on the same first stage and alternating breathing from them. Getting the MK25/S620Ti/S270 means that he is getting all great second stages with substantial discount as a package.
Thanks.

You got it correct, I get a nice discount from this package.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom