Regulator dilemma (first buy, new to diving) [scubapro] MK 25/19 evo (BT) G260 cb/S620 ti

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

You’ll get lots of opinions on different brands. For sure, ScubaPro makes good gear. However, they aren’t the only ones that do. Don’t just go by what someone says is the best.

You’ll need to get it serviced. Go around to the shops in your area and see what they are like. I don’t own a single piece of SP gear for this reason. I can’t stand the SP dive shops in my area, so don’t want to give them any business in the future.

For the cold dives, a sealed reg is better. Sealed diaphragms are generally easier to deal with at service time than sealed pistons.

DIN regs are probably more future proof when it comes to specialties down the road. That’s probably readily available in EU, but may pose a bit of a challenge for the tropical dives as some locations may only have yoke tanks. An adapter can solve that, though.

Thank you.

That is just why I put this thread up. Because I want to know more then just 1 opinion.

Al the dive shops arround me are selling SP. And all dive shops arround here are good and friendly. They all do it with passion and they are not that commercial.

There is no doubt about the connection type. Ill choose DIN for sure, with a travel adapter.

+1
I can’t comment on 250/260 vs 620 bit from experience, haven’t dived an S sr. Yet

But.. the 270 is a huge plus, it’s a balanced second stage, essentially a cheaper plastic 620 so that’s actually a plus.. vs the R series

I still have my own bias for the 260 since its a „full size“ case, and has a seat saver

The r105 is.. well unbalanced, so that can be a downside value wise
Thanks, I know the octo is making a difference.

I see you are in the Netherlands … have you considered Apeks or Poseidon regulators ?

Lots of Scubapro fans on this site. I got rid of my MK25 because it breathed as noisy as Darth Vader behind my head. Not a good soundscape for videos.

As others have mentioned, piston regulators are in general not as good in cold or dirty water.
No I have not.

So you suggest MK19 if you have to choose between MK25 and 19

Unless you're diving in a slurry pit, i wouldn't be too worried about contamination. A good rinse should be part of the routine anyway.
And the biggest factor to prevent regulators from freezing, much more important than the design, is dry gas.
Even the best, sealed diaphragm reg can freeze if you feed it moist gas.
What would you choose? MK25 or MK19

This interweb thing of the Mark V, 10, 15, 20, 25 getting internal scratches is a bunch of baloney. Maybe if you dive in a quartz slurry and never rinse the thing out. The Mark 25 is a rugged beast of a regulator with unsurpassed flow rates, exceptional responsiveness, durability and reliability and the 25 Evo is cold water rated.

And sealed diaphragms, another interweb thing. The only exposed part in a so called unsealed diaphragm is the spring which is stainless steel. It is true that a fully sealed piston or diaphragm, can be more cold tolerant. And then to adjust IP the cap has to be removed. Good Lord.

I have diaphragm regulators but I am a piston guy. Too many little parts, I would not a diaphragm is superior to a piston first in performance or durability.

What other company uses 30% glass fiber reinforced cases for their second stages? I am sure there are others but most are just molded ABS plastic. Scubapro innovates, everyone else copies, their 109 and G250 are the most copied second stages and their original Mark V and Mark 10 the most copied first stages, even Atomic is just a goo filled version of the Mark 10 piston. What other company has a record of supporting most products, not for just years but decades, of course to be supported for decades it has to be capable of lasting for decades.

OP, see what you did, now we are in a diaphragm vs piston and sealed vs unsealed wrestling match :cheers:.
Yea, and All i wanna know is what people will pick...

The MK 19 or 25

And the S620TI or G260 sets

And why they pick it.

haha

Ok Guys. Thank you all for posting.

Now I want to let you vote on 2 polls:

MK 25 EVO vs MK 19 EVO, which one would you choose if these are your only options!

Also the same for the REGS sets.

If you would like you can respond with explanation why. (reply this post)

The same thing my instructor said. I love the black, it looks to beautifull. But it isn't worth the extra price.

Have you tried the S620 ti yourself? So you know the difference between the S620 ti and G260?

Already did some dives with the MK19? Can you share your experience?
I have a few dives in with the MK 19, I would still take a MK 17 over it but would take the 19 over the 25, I prefer no swivel on the low pressure side.

I have tried the 620ti and did not like the performance, it’s a good regulator and well made but in a head to head I would take the G260 over it because it tunes better for “me” you would likely never see the difference and neither would I if I didn’t keep playing with different stuff, I dive the D420 because it better than either of the others (for me)

I have been using the MK25 since it came out circa 25 years ago and used the MK20 before that. I used it in NY/NJ/MA/RI (and all over the world) without any issues at all. I have friends who use it diving in the Great Lakes and all over the US for technical diving without ANY issues. The MK25 with the S600 second stage is sort of a standard for technical diving around the world.

I own 10 sets of the MK25 and use them in my dive school also. I own one set of the MK19 with G260. I have had the MK19 since it came out (3 years ago ?). It is really a tough choice between the two but no issues with either. I live and dive in Libya now and the standard high quality regulator they use here is the MK25/S600. All commercial fisherman and deep divers here use the MK25/S600 and they NEVER have them serviced, I mean never since there are no service center here in Libya. This combination is as bullet proof as one can get (but not as bullet proof as the Atomic regulators).

I still say go with the first package and you will never look back and say "what if..." I am sure that you are getting a sweet deal for the package.

Good luck to you and let us know what you bought. It isn't an easy decision.

BTW, I'd pick the S620Ti over the G260 without ANY doubt.

Ok Guys. Thank you all for posting.

Now I want to let you vote on 2 polls:

MK 25 EVO vs MK 19 EVO, which one would you choose if these are your only options!

Also the same for the REGS sets.

If you would like you can respond with explanation why. (reply this post)

Neither. I would see if I could wait for the new Mark 17 Evo 2 and G260s. My second choice would be a Mark 11 Evo with G260s. If I could not I would probably get the Mark 25 Evo and G260s.

I would two G260s, not a G260 and R whatever.

Back
Top Bottom