Advice needed: Second stage for Scubapro MK25 EVO. Or go Atomic?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Hey everybody,

I have been diving for a few year, but only on rental equipment. I did mainly dive in warm water and on vacation in the past, but decided to get more serious about the hobby - and am now looking for my first own set of equipment.

Looking at equipment, I want to satisfy two criteria: (a) the equipment should be very rugged and durable, easy to service, and have a good coverage of service spots and (b) I want to be able to use it for many areas of the sport (e.g., being able to dive deeper/in cold water/etc.).

I have read the countless threads discussing the benefits and drawbacks of the three obvious choices, the A700, the S620Ti, and the G260. However, some of the discription mismatch and I don't know if this might be due to internal revisions of the models by SP or just different preferences.

Being in Germany, I can currently score complete sets of regulators with MK 25 EVO as the first stage for (with discounts):
- S620Ti (+ S270) -- 800€
- A700 (+ S270) -- 800€
- G260 (+ R105) -- 600€ (or 800€ for the BT variant, just being a sucker for the aesthetics and fully aware that this does not affect performance)

On the forum I have read that SP service tech would not recommend the A700, as it is not great to service and is a "marketing scam". Other say it breathes wonderfully and highly recommend it. Similarly, for the S620Ti, some love the small form factor and less weight and say it breathes like a breeze (having less WOB breathing out), others say thar given the smaller form factor and everything else being equal, breathes take a bit more effort and some consider it "loud". The G260 seems to be an all time classic that is well regarded, others find the newer models breathe better. In my case, I am only offered these nice prices on bundles and I find the R105 not too great (shop does not change the bundle even if I pay on top).

Did anybody dive multiple/all of these second stages and can give me their impressions? I know that all of them are a great choice and it comes down to preference, but would appreciate all of your input and experience to make an informed decision.

I have also heard great things about Atomic, but would need a pointer in the right direction to get into the right types of models as my dive shop does not offer them. I am willing to spend the 800€ and more, given that the reg gives me a lot of years of good service.

Thanks so much!
Rondobo
Not knowing if and where you will travel Atomic is not a brand that can be serviced everywhere. I have not been anywhere where SP could not be serviced.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom