Advice needed: Second stage for Scubapro MK25 EVO. Or go Atomic?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Sidebar:
@Nemrod that is a fine collection of goodlooking g250s — may they forever run smoothly

Besides the metal case (and heat exchange element) and ignoring the soft cover issue ; what advantages would the A700 (aesthetical heir to BA) bring over a g260 (functional heir to BA)?

Sidebar 2:
In the 2nd picture I see a splitter; what’s that for? I’m desperately trying to find a good HP splitter and you might have the answer for me 🤞🏽

The SP G250 is widely considered one of the best second stages to have ever been made. I still have quite a few older G250s in my rotation of regulators for different purposes (back gas, stages, deco, bailout, etc.). The G260 is the modern version of the original G250 and I absolutely love mine. When tuned properly, it is the best breathing regulator I have tried (across multiple other manufacturers too). A lot of the newer regulators, including some from SP, have smaller diaphragms (which can make the work of breathing harder) or are loaded up with plastic parts which are not great for longevity (a tradeoff I'm not willing to make to save a marginal amount on weight). You will never go wrong with a Mk25 / G260 combo.

Sidebar:
@Nemrod that is a fine collection of goodlooking g250s — may they forever run smoothly

Besides the metal case (and heat exchange element) and ignoring the soft cover issue ; what advantages would the A700 (aesthetical heir to BA) bring over a g260 (functional heir to BA)?

Sidebar 2:
In the 2nd picture I see a splitter; what’s that for? I’m desperately trying to find a good HP splitter and you might have the answer for me 🤞🏽

The A700 is no slouch in performance. Personally I do not like the ears with screws for both esthetics and maintenance reasons. I would prefer a clamp more like the 109/156 had (or thread in like the G250/G260). The small, metal case makes it a little heavy in the water but since the exhaust tee rests on the chin I would not say it is especially noticeable. I have only used an A700 once for a day of diving but a friend has a set and he loves them. But, always a but, the G260 is IMO the better regulator for the reasons already mentioned.

The G250/G260 covers can be removed in the water, should that need arise (some tech people consider that important). For an A700 you would need a screw driver with a Phillips head or some such nonsense, no thanks. The Atomic can be equipped with a "tech" cover for an additional $125. The G260 comes with the tech cover out of the box.

Sidebar 2:
That Y adapter comes from long gone Dacor and was one method of jury rigging an inflator hose back before first stages had multiple LP outlets. The regulator second stage fed from one and the inflator from the other.

The closest to it is this from Piranha and might actually be better for DSMB deployment which is what I use mine for:

My front teeth were taken away by an "accident" I will not get into here. But they are replaced by implants my entire life and they are fragile. I cannot bite on the usual oral inflator so the Y adapter works for me. The admonishments that I will die because the DSMB is going to get entangled I rank right in there with my regulator is going to explode on Nitrox because I use 100% food grade silicone instead of the expensive stuff that cakes and gets hard or washes out in one or two dives. In other words, I will get hit by a meteor sooner. When either happen, y'all can say I told you so :nyah:.

If you are buying a set then you will likely want to sell the octo that they provide. You will want two identical second stages for many reasons. When you need your octo you will want the same breathing regulator that you are used too and not something with different breathing characteristics. The cost of two S620s is significantly higher that the cost of two G260s and you will not see the cost benefit in breathing. I have had my Mk25 Evo for many years in saltwater and never had an issue, no reason to change that decision. I have both the S600s and G250s on MK25 Evos and can't tell the difference. So, save your money and get a pair of G260s.

Thank you all for contributing so much knowledge!
I think I will get 2xG260s to get good value for my money.

@Nemrod: those face plates for the G260s look really nice, are those the carbon BT ones or did you hydro dip them yourself?
@Mobulai: Thank you for the reg geeks videos, I finished the first one. After seeing Robert Singlers arguments, I am leaning a bit more towards the MK 19 EVO (same price here as well).
Where I am, they service the MK19 EVO and MK25 EVO for the same price.

I have a shiit load of MK25/S600 (let's say more than 10), one MK19/G260 (with S600 alternate), several MK17/C370 and a big pile of Atomic regulators.

I have one MK19 with G260 and S600. I keep changing between the G260 and the S600 underwater and ALWAYS switch back to the S600. I started with the G260 as the primary and the S600 as alternate but several dives later, I switch the hoses and the S600 became the primary. Both are tuned to the lowest cracking pressure per mfg. specs. For ME, the S600 is a better second stage.

The Atomic regulators when properly tuned to the lowest cracking pressure per mfg. specs, they ARE noticeably better than anything else on the planet. They are also the LEAST trouble and go on for a VERY long time between needing service. Atomic regulators are best value with least total cost of ownership over few years compared with other brands. What is also nice about the Atomic regulators, their least expensive regulator, the Z3, performs just as well as their most expensive regulator when properly tuned per mfg specs (except for the new TFX regulator).

@Nemrod: those face plates for the G260s look really nice, are those the carbon BT ones or did you hydro dip them yourself?
Those are the carbon fiber face plates from Scubapro. They did inspire my carbon fiber hydrodip madness of late.

Everybody, my MK19 evo and the G260s just arrived -- very happy about them and just want to thank you again for kindly taking the time and sharing your wisdom!!

Can't wait for my first dives this year :)

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom