When to buy a first regulator?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

For me, if what I really need is at a lower price then I would hope to have the self discipline to buy only what I need.

As someone who is single, with kids grown up and no longer at home, I face exactly the same choice in the supermarket all the time. The small pack of meat at a higher price per Kilo or the family pack size at a significant discount ….

You may think scuba regulators are different, but luxury cars on “special” vs small economy cars, and almost all consumption decisions, present similar challenges.

You are missing the point, a Mercedes E class at a price of a C class, which way would you go?

I'm a very beginner diver (recently OW certified), pool diving each week in a club and planning to dive on holidays approx 30-40 dives per year.

My local dive shop has a great deal on a Scubapro MK19EVO G260 + R105 with 200€ off. I'm wondering if I should splurge now considering that I'm still very early in my diving "career".

When did you buy your first reg and what would you consider great timing doing so?

Many thanks!
Hi
Good indeed to get your own regulator but mask and suit are also a good idea.
You could also get a complete set from LBC and get it checked at your shop or at the VC in Paris and get plenty of money left to go diving :)

You are missing the point, a Mercedes E class at a price of a C class, which way would you go?

Do I want a Mercedes? Higher insurance, service, maintenance and fuel economy costs … 😂🤣

Edit: And a higher likelihood of being stolen.

Do I want a Mercedes? Higher insurance, service, maintenance and fuel economy costs … 😂🤣

Edit: And a higher likelihood of being stolen.

Are you related to my wife by any chance???????????????????????

Are you related to my wife by any chance???????????????????????

🤣🤣🤣

I may be a bit of a Stoic.

Looking forward to diving with you one day. What’s the diving like in Tunisia ?

Thanks everyone for your precious advice!

I ended up buying it, especially because it was on sale and I could get it for a "good" price (500€-ish). I already own fins, mask, snorkel and wetsuit so these parts were already covered.

Now I think I'll wait a few months before buying a computer, I've spent all of my diving-allocated income for this month 😂

Looking forward to diving with you one day.

Same here!!

What’s the diving like in Tunisia ?

You mean Libya :)

It is southern Mediterranean. Lots of antiquities UW from pre-Roman times including ancient whole cities in 5 - 10 meters UW and wrecks from all periods of history. Libya has almost 2000 km of coastline on the Med. It can be a dive destination if and when we become a functioning state. Lots to see and do above surface too. We have lots of antiquities including ancient cities, Pyramids, Mummies, etc. Lots of history. Most of UW antiquities haven't been documented so far. Lots to discover :)

Thanks everyone for your precious advice!

I ended up buying it, especially because it was on sale and I could get it for a "good" price (500€-ish). I already own fins, mask, snorkel and wetsuit so these parts were already covered.

Now I think I'll wait a few months before buying a computer, I've spent all of my diving-allocated income for this month 😂
Ha, that will give you the opportunity to start a new thread regarding what computer to buy :)

Congratulations!! You now have top of the line regulator that will last you a life time :)

Now I think I'll wait a few months before buying a computer, I've spent all of my diving-allocated income for this month
Skip few meals, stop drinking anything but water, save your pennies and you should have enough in a month or so to buy a good dive computer :)

Same here!!

You mean Libya :)

It is southern Mediterranean. Lots of antiquities UW from pre-Roman times including ancient whole cities in 5 - 10 meters UW and wrecks from all period of history. Libya has almost 2000 km of coastline on the Med. It can be a dive destination if and when we become a functioning state. Lots to see and do above surface too. We have lots of antiquities including ancient cities, Pyramids, Mummies, etc. Lots of history. Most of UW antiquities haven't been documented so far. Lots to discover :)

Is it safe to travel in Libya as a non-US citizen foreigner ?

Sorry I got the country wrong ! 😑

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom