When to buy a first regulator?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

So he passes a very significant deal/discount on a regulator that won't be repeated soon? Are you folks nuts or just skip read and read what you want to read not the whole thing?

I expect that SP will release a new Mk19 Evo2 shortly after the Mk 17 Evo2, bringing some of the improvements in the new Mk17 to the Mk19 that are not already there. HP hose layouts, fins on the body etc.

Maybe it’s not a lot of upgrades but it will make it harder for dealers to shift the older Mk19 models.

SP can’t have a marketing lineup where a lower pecking order regulator (Mk17) is better than a higher pecking order regulator (Mk19).

I expect that SP will release a new Mk19 Evo2 shortly after the Mk 17 Evo2, bringing some of the improvements in the new Mk17 to the Mk19 that are not already there. HP hose layouts, fins on the body etc.

Maybe it’s not a lot of upgrades but it will make it harder for dealers to shift the older Mk19 models.

I didn't see this in the 24/25 catalog I received from SP. Perhaps in 26'?

I didn't see this in the 24/25 catalog I received from SP. Perhaps in 26'?

Sometimes I’m a cynic, and the cynic in me would say “clearing out inventory from the channel first” 🙈. Hence attractive discounts on existing Mk19s from dealers. Not that they are a bad deal … just moving out old inventory first.

Sometimes I’m a cynic, and the cynic in me would say “clearing out inventory from the channel first” 🙈. Hence attractive discounts on existing Mk19s from dealers. Not that they are a bad deal … just moving out old inventory first.

The customer is the winner at the end here. Great product at a much reduced price :)

The customer is the winner at the end here. Great product at a much reduced price :)

I would agree with you, but only if you are already in the market for a Mk19. A deal is only really a good deal if that is what you needed to buy regardless of whether there is a deal on offer.

Otherwise it’s just consumption.

I would agree with you, but only if you are already in the market for a Mk19. A deal is only really a good deal if that is what you needed to buy regardless of whether there is a deal on offer.

So if I started out with me wanting to buy something less expensive but I find a usually much more expensive something at a much lower price that is very competitive with the less expensive thing and is better than the less expensive thing I should just ignore it and buy the less expensive thing even when they are about the same price?

For me, it isn't just a good deal but also a very smart deal to buy the much price reduced better thing.

in my humble opinion, the MK11 is the most perfect regulator for recreational diving. Now, if you can get your hands on the titanium version....
Got two!

SP can’t have a marketing lineup where a lower pecking order regulator (Mk17) is better than a higher pecking order regulator (Mk19).
On the bare face of things, the MK17 **IS** a better reg than an MK19. It does what a 19 does in a smaller package. All the 19 offers is more brass, bling and bulk for my money. Well, not MY money. Somebody else's money, I suppose.

A very nice package deal from SP, buy it and you'll have a great regulator set for years, even decades to come.

So if I started out with me wanting to buy something less expensive but I find a usually much more expensive something at a much lower price that is very competitive with the less expensive thing and is better than the less expensive thing I should just ignore it and buy the less expensive thing even when they are about the same price?

For me, it isn't just a good deal but also a very smart deal to buy the much price reduced better thing.

For me, if what I really need is at a lower price then I would hope to have the self discipline to buy only what I need.

As someone who is single, with kids grown up and no longer at home, I face exactly the same choice in the supermarket all the time. The small pack of meat at a higher price per Kilo or the family pack size at a significant discount ….

You may think scuba regulators are different, but luxury cars on “special” vs small economy cars, and almost all consumption decisions, present similar challenges.

Back
Top Bottom