When to buy a first regulator?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I knew that I wanted my own stuff to go through my OW cert so I purchased when I signed up for the class. If you have the money to do so and plan on diving as much as you can it’s worth investing in your own stuff. That being said. For those that haven’t purchased rent a few different brands, see what you like. Ask here or at your dive shop to get people’s perspectives.

Also, think long term, how far will you want to take your diving. Spend a bit more earlier on so you don’t end up buying twice. I did not take that approach and regret it.

I'm a very beginner diver (recently OW certified), pool diving each week in a club and planning to dive on holidays approx 30-40 dives per year.

My local dive shop has a great deal on a Scubapro MK19EVO G260 + R105 with 200€ off. I'm wondering if I should splurge now considering that I'm still very early in my diving "career".

When did you buy your first reg and what would you consider great timing doing so?

Many thanks!
I think someone who wants to dive regularly should buy their own gear as soon as possible. BUT you don't need to buy the top of the line. I bought all my gear before I even finished the OW course. A lot of it was used but not the regulators. Often you can get almost brand new gear from some rich guy who took an OW course, bought all his gear and then never dived again. If money isn't super tight get some starter gear, get some dives under your belt and upgrade your equipment down the road. Your first set can always be used as your backup gear later.

Thanks everyone for your precious advice!

I ended up buying it, especially because it was on sale and I could get it for a "good" price (500€-ish). I already own fins, mask, snorkel and wetsuit so these parts were already covered.

Now I think I'll wait a few months before buying a computer, I've spent all of my diving-allocated income for this month 😂
You should be able to pickup a decent used puck type computer for 50 bucks or so (or whatever the euro is nicknamed). As long as it can handle nitrox and has user changeable batteries it should be fine. And perhaps a readable screen size depending on how well you can focus at arms length. When money permits get something fancy and use the old computer as a backup.

Back
Top Bottom