When to buy a first regulator?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Sometimes I’m a cynic, and the cynic in me would say “clearing out inventory from the channel first” 🙈. Hence attractive discounts on existing Mk19s from dealers. Not that they are a bad deal … just moving out old inventory first.
So what?
It’s not like the reg is obsolete and a paper weight after a year. All Scubapro regs are excellent, and they will make service kits for years to come.

Thanks everyone for your precious advice!

I ended up buying it, especially because it was on sale and I could get it for a "good" price (500€-ish). I already own fins, mask, snorkel and wetsuit so these parts were already covered.

Now I think I'll wait a few months before buying a computer, I've spent all of my diving-allocated income for this month 😂
Congratulations!!
I know I’ll get bashed for this, but you can use tables if you wish until you get computer. It takes about an hour to learn them forwards and backwards and then you’ll know it. Yeah, they are square profiles and computers are far and away superior in all aspects, but at least you can get in the water and do some diving. A lot of us used tables for years before computers so it can be done, regardless what some here think.
BTW, I was forced to buy my reg set when I took AOW. I was five minutes too late to the dive shop and the last rental set already went out. So that’s when I decided to step up and buy a MK20 with a G200B and an Air2 as my first set. I also bought a BC too, compass, depth/pressure gauge on a console. Still have the MK20/G200B but sold the Air2 shortly after and got an R190 octo. Best purchase I ever made even though it was considered expensive at the time.

I ended up buying it, especially because it was on sale and I could get it for a "good" price (500€-ish). I already own fins, mask, snorkel and wetsuit so these parts were already covered.

Now I think I'll wait a few months before buying a computer, I've spent all of my diving-allocated income for this month 😂
They got these things called "credit cards" now. No money required!

Regarding the computer purchase, in some ways a dive computer is an extremely useful tool for a new diver because it will alert you if you’re ascending too fast. IOW, it can help you to develop good dive habits.

But spending a lot for a high end computer that does all sorts of things, gas switching, etc, can be a big waste of money for a new diver, or any recreational diver for that matter. It’s really important for new divers to learn as much as they can about factors in decompression sickness, types of dive behavior that have a real impact on your safety, and rely on that knowledge instead of a device to dive safely. Any inexpensive dive computer will do the essentials; track N2 loading with an algorithm that has proven to be successful, alert the diver to fast ascents and NDL violations, and track O2 exposure in the case of nitrox use. And new divers can use tables; it’s a good intellectual exercise but it does require more knowledge and self awareness in terms of managing your profile. Developing that knowledge and self awareness might be the most important and effective safety strategy for any new diver. Using a computer does not preclude developing in that way, it just doesn’t force you to. It’s a tool like anything else, and how you use that tool is ultimately more important than the features of the tool itself.

If I were advising a friend with limited disposable income (and buying dive gear is really ‘disposing’ your money, lol) I’d say get an inexpensive computer, maybe a used oceanic or similar (there must be thousands of them around) and use it on a few dive trips. It’s very useful for place like Cozumel, Bonaire, and recreational live-aboards where you are diving multiple times/day, sometimes fairly deep, and where you need to be able to hold depth in open clear water.

Hi @BryanBM

I would suggest doing your homework prior to investing in a dive computer. Personally, I would pass on the recommendation for a Scubapro Luna 2.0 for a number of reasons. One is that it does not run straight Buhlmann, there is a thread discussing this

I expect that SP will release a new Mk19 Evo2 shortly after the Mk 17 Evo2, bringing some of the improvements in the new Mk17 to the Mk19 that are not already there. HP hose layouts, fins on the body etc.

Maybe it’s not a lot of upgrades but it will make it harder for dealers to shift the older Mk19 models.

SP can’t have a marketing lineup where a lower pecking order regulator (Mk17) is better than a higher pecking order regulator (Mk19).
But, the 19E already has these features (except for the 15deg offset HP ports), it has the fins and the double spring

Congrats and welcome to the churn of spending all disposable income on gear 😅

Congrats, you will love having your own regulator and are wise to support your LDS. If you have a good LDS you can have a long mutually beneficial relationship with them. A great deal is a bonus.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom