why should I need to buy a new reg?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I have a conshelf and it is a very nice reg. Aqualung still makes parts for it (same kit as the newer Titans I think) and they breath fine. I was looking for an enviro seal for it when a friend sold me his seald oceanic for cheap. I will still look for an enviro kit and will use the conshelf for a pony tank when I get around to setting one up.

The only issue that they had was that some of the yellow second stages developed cracks in the plastic around the valves. If you look at where the hose attatches some would develop cracks there. If they went all of the way through it was time to retire that second stage.

"The only issue that they had was that some of the yellow second stages developed cracks in the plastic around the valves. If you look at where the hose attatches some would develop cracks there. If they went all of the way through it was time to retire that second stage."
No need to retire it! I have a conshelf 22 octo that had that problem simple replaced the housing $8.00 at annual service so it's in new condition and cheap fix too!

mtis2k : There are converters for the ports available. You can grab a new octo on the cheap from Ebay and have a complete backup reg set.

mtis2000:
Why should I need to buy a new reg?
I got hold of a conshelf SE2 (probably 15 years old) with one second stage still attached to it. I read with interest an old post about oldest working regs and since the conshelf is described as a bullet-proof antique I was wondering what (other than compulsive shopping) would drive me to buy anything else as I am a newly qualified OW diver! It would be interesting to know why, you, old veterans, are making those apeks and mares companies richer while buying new shinny (or nicely matted) piece of equipment.

thanks for your always appreciated feedback.

If you have the answer, why ask the question? A better question might be why purchase an old reg if it's going to run you $100 to have it serviced on top of a $100 pricetag to purchase?

I looked at purchasing older stuff, and the math did not add up. I found a shop going out of business and got a new Zeagle DS50/ZX for just over $200. So you end up with a 15 year old setup that cost you $200, and a new reg setup is not much more that what you spent on the old setup. New regs generally breath better as technology is allowing even the lowest end regs to be outstanding breathers.

In any event, your question is answered, and there are many old regs in service today.

There are a lot of reasons to purchase a new reg, the only one I have not seen listed is that one may run out of LP ports.

I too have a US Divers Conshelf 21 dating from the early 80's... got it from my brother in a trade. It's been a workhorse and rock solid.

Anyway, I keep all my gear in good shape but I was thinking to replace the hoses as I've never done it. Anyone have an opinion on when to change the hoses? Is there a good way to check whether there is fatigue apart from visible damage or having your hose blow on a dive?

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom