Buying New Reg: How to factor in Service Costs

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

John Trecker

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
Looking to buy a new reg for primarily holiday warm water diving. How should future service fees / costs be factored into the decision?
One LDS suggested, for example, that the Oceanic Titanium T3 might actually pay for its difference in cost quite quickly as it does not need servicing as frequently as some other regs. Part of why I am choosing to work with a LDS is I want someone locally to help with questions, servicing, upgrades, etc.
But it is a bit confusing trying to figure out what is standard / market for service from a practical perspective. I am getting the sense that it is fairly common to stretch out the period a bit (but I want to be conservative and definitely follow service requirements).
Any thoughts on this topic and how to factor in servicing in choice?
I have been looking at
- Scubapro MK25 (including Titanium version which seems super expensive), MK11 (including Titanium), maybe MK17
- Atomic T3 and possibly others
- Aqualung Micron and others

For me personally, I do a lot of traveling and have some back/neck issues where having less weight would be beneficial, but not critical, but if it seems that over a few years the $700 price difference for a T3 for example gets paid back with less service (and hassle) then maybe it is justified.

If you are worried of service cost, learn how to service the reg yourself and stay with basic equipment.
I am quite Scubapro-addicted when it comes to regulators. The most simple first stage is the Mk2 (piston) or the Mk11 (diaphragm).
Both work well, are cheap, and servicing them is easier than with more advanced models.
Regarding the second stages, get two identical, which makes servicing easy and gives you high performances also from the secondary one.
I always hated the idea of a lower-performances octo.
My favourite Scubapro second stage is the G250V.
It is simpler than the following G260 and performs the same.
But any other second stage which is balanced and with the knob for adjusting easily the cracking effort will work... For example the C370, usually sold together with the MK11.
I would stay away from the Titanium version: the weight saving is quite minimal, and titanium is more delicate than brass, and cannot be used at high oxygen percentages.
The good thing of Scubapro is that you find parts everywhere in the world and they continue to be available also for regs built 50 years ago.
Furthermore you easily find technical manuals, part lists and videos explaining how to service them.
When you learn how to service your regs, you will also learn how to evaluate if they need to be serviced.
As I am currently diving not as frequently as when young, I have seen that my regs do not need to be serviced every 2 years, as recommended by the manufacturer. I am now at 5 years interval...

That is a great suggestion - should have added that the question assumes using LDS for service. Self service not really an option under the circumstances. But I know people who have done it. I love those regs!
Anyone else who has thought about the original question? Lets try to keep on topic! ( :

One LDS suggested, for example, that the Oceanic Titanium T3 might actually pay for its difference in cost quite quickly as it does not need servicing as frequently as some other regs.
hahaha! I think that LDS owner has a boat payment due and he’s hoping you’ll make it. There are many reasons to buy regs that cost $2k+, but saving money in the long run isn’t one of them.

While different manufactures may call out different servicing requirements, they all actually require approximately the save frequency of servicing. How often they really need it mostly depends on how you use them and how you clean them.

I don't believe any manufacture recommends a less frequent servicing period for their titanium regs than their brass/chrome regs, but I could be wrong. Titanium will corrode less, but most of servicing interval is about replacing soft parts like o-rings and seats. Especially if you are good about rinsing your regs after use.

Even if you do not service yourself your regs, using basic simple low cost regulators means also smaller service cost at longer intervals.
The service kit is cheaper and a simple reg is serviced in less time.
See here, the service kit for MK2 is just 14.7 eur:

The service kit for the MK25 is 26.7 eur:

That's almost twice...
And typically the shop will double these prices, adding the cost of labour.

What nonsense. All the major scuba manufacturers now have 2 year servicing intervals. You can certainly stretch that if you are willing to give up their "free parts for life" service warranties. But to stretch it successfully requires basic care (essentially careful rinsing and drying) and monitoring (Regulator Inspection and Checklist (Rev-8)) that is identical for chromed brass and titanium regs.

If you are worried of service cost, learn how to service the reg yourself and stay with basic equipment.
I am quite Scubapro-addicted when it comes to regulators. ...

Furthermore you easily find technical manuals, part lists and videos explaining how to service them.
When you learn how to service your regs, you will also learn how to evaluate if they need to be serviced.

Until recently, I thought this was rocket science. Now I totally get the advice. I wish I had known/tried this earlier. Won't call myself a Scubapro fanatic just yet, but I concur that a beginner with a right mindset can get into this with some guidance.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom