Apeks regs not serviced for 8 years

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

@Christozs the only possible catch is you might have to spend 40 bucks on 2 second stage diaphragms that aren't included in the service kit if they happen to have degraded after nearly 10 years. but for 300 for both, they are priced to move and if you don't buy them, someone else will.

Yeah, that's where my "Where is the catch?" questions came up. I thought maybe after so many years of being unserviced and stored they may be non fixable. Or maybe there are specific things i should check before buying them.
Look over the regs and make sure there's no obvious physical damage. Scratches or minor wear won't affect functioning, but cracks in the plastic body of the second stage or big gouges or dents in the metal of the first stage are reasons to walk away.

Next, look at the top of the filter on the first stage where it connects to the tank. The filter is made of stainless steel mesh and should like reasonably clean. If it looks rusty or green or moldy or full of dirt then there's a good chance water or dirt got into the stage and was left there. If this happened, there could be major internal corrosion or scoring on inside surfaces in which case you probably also want to take a pass.

Other than that, a service should be all it needs no matter how long it sat. Regs are built to be serviced. All parts that can wear out are either automatically replaced when serviced (o-rings, filter, some seats, zip ties) or at least inspected (remaining seats, diaphragms). Everything else should be as good as new after a cleaning.

Shouldn't i get a course for that? I would be very interested in that, but i don't know if it's worth the risk.
Maybe the spare FSR i will have could be my toy 😅

@rsingler's online course is your best bet if you aren't affiliated with a dive shop. Regulator Technician Training - 2023 . It's far more in depth than any of the specific make courses the manufacturers offer to the dive shop employees as it covers regulator theory as well as multiple types of regs. He also provides workarounds for servicing at home where you might not have all the equipment available at a shop.

Thank you all for your replies, you've been really helpful!
I got them and they look in a good condition, i found a dive shop to service them for $150 and the spare FSR i will try to service it myself either by following a course or a video so that i step by step learn how to service my own regs.

I really appreciate all your input!
Safe diving!

I’m still diving my TX 100s, never had an issue getting them serviced and they’re both over 20 years old..

Thank you all for your replies, you've been really helpful!
I got them and they look in a good condition, i found a dive shop to service them for $150 and the spare FSR i will try to service it myself either by following a course or a video so that i step by step learn how to service my own regs.

I really appreciate all your input!
Safe diving!

Shoot me a DM I'll send you manuals and some literature.

One advantage of the XTX200 First Stage is that it is one of the few Apeks first stages that have removable crowns in the event some fat fisted service took place in the past.

Back
Top Bottom