Question tecline vs HALCYON deco reg

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

@Khalid82 , @whynot - color coding reg hoses is bad. However, you can flag hoses/regs with gas mixture, i.e., place a sticker that says "32%" on a reg attached to a tank with a 32%.

This practice does not replace the proper gas change protocol. It is just an additional step in gas verification. If you use this approach, you must treat tank + regulator as a single unit and invest in additional operational steps. For example, if you need to change the regulator, you'll reanalyze the tank, confirm the tank sticker, attach the new reg, and then add a new sticker to the reg. There is a bit more to it in my routine, but I'll shut up now.

Long story short - if you're just starting out, don't color code or complicate the procedure ;-)

1704315758567.png

I, just, can't, even, with, this. 4/1/24 is 89 days away - waaay too sooooon for this.

View attachment 818992

I, just, can't, even, with, this. 4/1/24 is 89 days away - waaay too sooooon for this.
You do you. Everyone has SOP. Double checking and labeling is a part of mine. I'll give you a hint - I have a strong OCD, background in human factors (industrial automation) and checklists for gas fills/verification (like checklists for rebreathers). It may be an overkill for some, but it works for me.

You do you. Everyone has SOP. Double checking and labeling is a part of mine. I'll give you a hint - I have a strong OCD, background in human factors (industrial automation) and checklists for gas fills/verification (like checklists for rebreathers). It may be an overkill for some, but it works for me.

"You do you" is where this all falls apart; it's, in fact, (albeit abstractly) "we do we."

This is diving, buddy or team diving, whatever the unit size - the **we**; solo being out of scope as this ain't the solo diving forum.

**We** have standards and standard operating procedures for the core, bottle marking, gas analysis, and gas switches holding primacy here. **You** do not have standards and standard operating procedures for bottle marking, gas analysis, and gas switches; **we** do.

Individualized (extraneous and nonsensical) procedures such as "place a sticker that says "32%" on a reg attached to a tank with a 32%" decrease the efficacy of standards and standard operating procedures; it bastardized them. It doesn't strengthen the team; it creates disparity, creates new risks, increases the existing risk (both the probability and impact of the risk arising ), and makes the individual who brings those standards and procedures into the team a significant risk to the team themselves.

As for something like "if you use this approach, you must treat tank + regulator as a single unit and invest in additional operational steps" - we already do that(!), it's fully engrained into gas switch procedures: hold the valve, charge the valve, trace the hose from the second stage to the valve/bottle, purge while looking at the bottles spg, and have the team validate the the same (not exhaustive).

^ Ok, I am not going to attempt to argue about this. You seem to have your mind set and miss the point that there is no violation of the standard gas change protocol.

At the rate "those teams" off themselves, I'd take their procedures with a grain of salt.

"You do you" is where this all falls apart; it's, in fact, (albeit abstractly) "we do we."

This is diving, buddy or team diving, whatever the unit size - the **we**; solo being out of scope as this ain't the solo diving forum.
Regulators aren't used in solo diving? /s

What makes you think that solo diving is limited to only the solo forum on SB? I'm pretty sure it is discussed everywhere but the basic forum.

For that mater, how do you know that his procedures aren't part of the SOP's for his regular dive buddies.

**We** have standards and standard operating procedures for the core, bottle marking, gas analysis, and gas switches holding primacy here. **You** do not have standards and standard operating procedures for bottle marking, gas analysis, and gas switches; **we** do.
There are a lot of standards in the dive world. You are a little new here to be thinking you know which standards are SB approved and which aren't (I've been here a little longer and I'm still too new to be able to make that claim).

Individualized (extraneous and nonsensical) procedures such as "place a sticker that says "32%" on a reg attached to a tank with a 32%" decrease the efficacy of standards and standard operating procedures; it bastardized them. It doesn't strengthen the team; it creates disparity, creates new risks, increases the existing risk (both the probability and impact of the risk arising ), and makes the individual who brings those standards and procedures into the team a significant risk to the team themselves.
Which team? His team? Do you know his team?

As for something like "if you use this approach, you must treat tank + regulator as a single unit and invest in additional operational steps" - we already do that(!), it's fully engrained into gas switch procedures: hold the valve, charge the valve, trace the hose from the second stage to the valve/bottle, purge while looking at the bottles spg, and have the team validate the the same (not exhaustive).
Who is we here? are you speaking for all of SB?

Remember you are in the Regulators sub-Forum, not the ISE sub-Forum (I don't think we have one) or the GUE sub-Forum.

Hello,
I'm relitavly new to tec diving and just finished trimix65 and looking to buy 2 sets of deco regulators for tec diving.

My original plan was to buy tecline TEC2 R2 set, didnt care much about it being balanced as much as that it has a swivle and it is cheaper than halcyon in addtion to the fact that it is the same as my recreational set. (so i can do the maintenance for all of them together). my tec twinset rig is halcyon H-75P with halo.

My question is. is tecline TEC2 R2 a good reliable regulators for deco, or should i go with halcyon ? the price difference is 300$ (TEC2, R2 vs. H-75P, Aura) i am looking to save some money as my tec diving shopping list is endless and i would like to save any possible saving without comprimising quality, specially on my life support gear.

The reason why i started questioning my original plan was an incident i had with my recreational regulator, where i had a leak from the DIN connector last week between dives. i changed o-rings and did a leak check and it was from the reg DIN, it was my second dive after it was fully serviced "annual service" from the dealer when i took it back i was informed it "could" be because the 1st stage was twisted while pressurized. the "could" part got me a bit worried about relaibility to be honset, i've been diving since 2004, never had such a problem, not that its not a valid reason, and it "could" happen to any 1st stage, just that i couldnt stop thinking if this happens during deco, i will have to jump to plan 2 or 3 in a real scenario which i "could've lol" avoid by selecting the right reg.

appriciate your feedback's
the DIN barrel become loose from twisting it out of pressurized or unpressurized tank is very common for every DIN regulator. I often see them when diver decided to twist the first stage body rather than the handwheel. And that's nothing a 6mm hex key cant fix. I've seen apeks, scubapro, and other big brands have same issue.

I've been using tecline both rec and tec as bottom and deco regs for years for over 7 years now and still happy with it. and I service my own regs (no one touches my regs)

I agree tec dive shouldn't be cheap. but we may be paying too much for brands already.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom