Question tecline vs HALCYON deco reg

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Khalid82

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
1000 - 2499
Hello,
I'm relitavly new to tec diving and just finished trimix65 and looking to buy 2 sets of deco regulators for tec diving.

My original plan was to buy tecline TEC2 R2 set, didnt care much about it being balanced as much as that it has a swivle and it is cheaper than halcyon in addtion to the fact that it is the same as my recreational set. (so i can do the maintenance for all of them together). my tec twinset rig is halcyon H-75P with halo.

My question is. is tecline TEC2 R2 a good reliable regulators for deco, or should i go with halcyon ? the price difference is 300$ (TEC2, R2 vs. H-75P, Aura) i am looking to save some money as my tec diving shopping list is endless and i would like to save any possible saving without comprimising quality, specially on my life support gear.

The reason why i started questioning my original plan was an incident i had with my recreational regulator, where i had a leak from the DIN connector last week between dives. i changed o-rings and did a leak check and it was from the reg DIN, it was my second dive after it was fully serviced "annual service" from the dealer when i took it back i was informed it "could" be because the 1st stage was twisted while pressurized. the "could" part got me a bit worried about relaibility to be honset, i've been diving since 2004, never had such a problem, not that its not a valid reason, and it "could" happen to any 1st stage, just that i couldnt stop thinking if this happens during deco, i will have to jump to plan 2 or 3 in a real scenario which i "could've lol" avoid by selecting the right reg.

appriciate your feedback's

Dude more people are getting into tecline, great regs, but because my reg box is full I haven't bought any yet

Just opened my christmas box to two 4.2kg-9.2lb stainless tecline plates

019.JPG

Magnificent!

Now the work begins

Tech diving is not where you'll save money ;-)

I don't know much about Tec2, but the Halcyons you've mentioned are ScubaPro with a different branding. These are proven regs and you'll be able to service them anywhere around the world.

Note, some Halos had issues.

I dive with Halo's cousin, G250 ScubaPro, w/o issues.

Hello,
I'm relitavly new to tec diving and just finished trimix65 and looking to buy 2 sets of deco regulators for tec diving.

My original plan was to buy tecline TEC2 R2 set, didnt care much about it being balanced as much as that it has a swivle and it is cheaper than halcyon in addtion to the fact that it is the same as my recreational set. (so i can do the maintenance for all of them together). my tec twinset rig is halcyon H-75P with halo.

My question is. is tecline TEC2 R2 a good reliable regulators for deco, or should i go with halcyon ? the price difference is 300$ (TEC2, R2 vs. H-75P, Aura) i am looking to save some money as my tec diving shopping list is endless and i would like to save any possible saving without comprimising quality, specially on my life support gear.

The reason why i started questioning my original plan was an incident i had with my recreational regulator, where i had a leak from the DIN connector last week between dives. i changed o-rings and did a leak check and it was from the reg DIN, it was my second dive after it was fully serviced "annual service" from the dealer when i took it back i was informed it "could" be because the 1st stage was twisted while pressurized. the "could" part got me a bit worried about relaibility to be honset, i've been diving since 2004, never had such a problem, not that its not a valid reason, and it "could" happen to any 1st stage, just that i couldnt stop thinking if this happens during deco, i will have to jump to plan 2 or 3 in a real scenario which i "could've lol" avoid by selecting the right reg.

appriciate your feedback's

I am sure you are aware that the H-75/MK25 is a piston non sealed and the Tec2 R2 is a diaphragm environmentally sealed reg. But anyways as far as the Tecline regs go I actually have alot of friends that dive these and they all seem to like them. But... my dive buddy (full disclosure he has an affiliation with Tecline and got several regs for free or at cost) had a complete failure on the HP side while we were on assent from 140m. It was on an intermediate trimix B/O reg and it just randomly exploded around 120m-115m, not ideal for a big 4-5hr deco dive especially when you plan team bailout, that means it affects both of us. I posted a picture earlier in the below thread.
Black Friday Gear Sales

Also note that the Tec2 R2 along with DR, Deep6, HOG, Hollis, IST, TDS, Tecnomar, etc. etc. etc is just another rendition of a Taiwan/Chines (and yes I know Tecline is a Polish company but there regs are made in Taiwan) knock off of the original made in the UK Apeks DST. Not saying that Tecline regs are bad but just take the above into account when your picking a reg.

I know me personally between the two regs you listed above I would not even have to think about it. I would take the H-75 in a heartbeat over the Tecline. As others have said tech diving is not cheap. Buy once cry once, and something like a H-75/MK25 will last you a lifetime of diving.

Also something to think about when picking regs and with your dive buddies regs is if you are doing long deco dives and you are planning team bailout remember your dive buddy is also fully reliant on your regs as well and vice versa. Personally if my dive buddy show up with some generic XYZ reg and we are about to do a 180m 6+hr deco dive I am calling the dive if he/she does not change it out for a reliable reg I trust my life with. Silly things like is my dive buddies regs ok can throw your mental game off and that's not something you want on a big dive.

Yeah, and Volvo used to be owned by Ford and now it's owned solely by one Chinese gentleman
and Taiwan took over from Japan being the No1 manufacturer of stuff in the region from the 70s

and this certainly brings to my mind how anyone would dive to depth without sevicing their own regs
and does buddy still use tecline do you still dive with him and for how long will you bring this stuff up

1669432562602.png

The reg body threads look intact the button has been displaced diaphragm extruded spring seat still there
Was the diaphragm clamp poorly cast and explode, did it receive a good whack weakening the thing yeah

or was it already unscrewed and turning on the gas finished the job

Diving_regulator_diaphragm.png

mgtk4.jpg

I am sure you are aware that the H-75/MK25 is a piston non sealed and the Tec2 R2 is a diaphragm environmentally sealed reg. But anyways as far as the Tecline regs go I actually have alot of friends that dive these and they all seem to like them. But... my dive buddy (full disclosure he has an affiliation with Tecline and got several regs for free or at cost) had a complete failure on the HP side while we were on assent from 140m. It was on an intermediate trimix B/O reg and it just randomly exploded around 120m-115m, not ideal for a big 4-5hr deco dive especially when you plan team bailout, that means it affects both of us. I posted a picture earlier in the below thread.
Black Friday Gear Sales

Also note that the Tec2 R2 along with DR, Deep6, HOG, Hollis, IST, TDS, Tecnomar, etc. etc. etc is just another rendition of a Taiwan/Chines (and yes I know Tecline is a Polish company but there regs are made in Taiwan) knock off of the original made in the UK Apeks DST. Not saying that Tecline regs are bad but just take the above into account when your picking a reg.

I know me personally between the two regs you listed above I would not even have to think about it. I would take the H-75 in a heartbeat over the Tecline. As others have said tech diving is not cheap. Buy once cry once, and something like a H-75/MK25 will last you a lifetime of diving.

Also something to think about when picking regs and with your dive buddies regs is if you are doing long deco dives and you are planning team bailout remember your dive buddy is also fully reliant on your regs as well and vice versa. Personally if my dive buddy show up with some generic XYZ reg and we are about to do a 180m 6+hr deco dive I am calling the dive if he/she does not change it out for a reliable reg I trust my life with. Silly things like is my dive buddies regs ok can throw your mental game off and that's not something you want on a big dive.
Thanks for your feedback, you have a very valid point, couldnt sleep thinking about the choice, and i decided i will go with H-75P/ Aura for the deco set with color coded rubber hoses and will never question life support saving options, its not worth realibity risk, i decided to save on my DPV and get the blacktip instead of a seacraft and just have it identify as one 😂
MYDPV.jpg

@Khalid82 - good choice. A few notes.

I am split on whether Taiwan-made regulators are as bad as some people suggest. Taiwan is a first-world country with a great manufacturing capacity. Taiwan's semi-conductor industry is a major world player. I use Deep6 regulators and the first stage (Signature) is as good as my MK10. The second stage does not breathe as well as a G250, the exhale is not as good, but I am splitting the hairs here. Deep6 has a place in my stable.

Also, @Khalid82 - the color coded hoses is a different subject, but please do not rely only on colors while performing gas changes. Although, I agree with you - getting more human factors into the mix may help, but it shouldn't be a shortcut.

@Khalid82 - good choice. A few notes.

I am split on whether Taiwan-made regulators are as bad as some people suggest. Taiwan is a first-world country with a great manufacturing capacity. Taiwan's semi-conductor industry is a major world player. I use Deep6 regulators and the first stage (Signature) is as good as my MK10. The second stage does not breathe as well as a G250, the exhale is not as good, but I am splitting the hairs here. Deep6 has a place in my stable.

Also, @Khalid82 - the color coded hoses is a different subject, but please do not rely only on colors while performing gas changes. Although, I agree with you - getting more human factors into the mix may help, but it shouldn't be a shortcut.
Thanks @mr_v , i agree on term of not all taiwan made is less quality as my recreational dive reg is all tecline (donut & R2 TEC1) i've been using them for almost 2 years with one incident, otherwise they are cool. however for tec diving main reg my shortlist was Apeks, SP MK25/G260 or halcyon H-75P/Halo, and i went with halcyon from the start. i was going to save on my deco set but now i have a different opinion about the saving. and it makes more since to keep all reg's same brand "and relaibale of course" for ease of maintance.

regarding the color coding, im not planning to rely on them, but i had DCS few months ago in a dive where everything was perfect and within the limits and it took me a week to recover and couple of month to go back to diving. i changed my profile and just trying to make extra saftey procedures here and there, and studied almost every document/study out there. for me no short cuts i am that annouying buddy lol who do all plans on a SAC of 20, pre checks, checks and drills as if i was a fresh student. having DCS was not a pleasnt experience but gave me time to think more about how things can happen and you must be prepared.

and i decided i will go with H-75P/ Aura for the deco set
The Halcyon Aura is an unbalanced second stage and inappropriate for a deco reg - makes for an awesome backup second stage though.
regarding the color coding, im not planning to rely on them, but i had DCS few months ago in a dive where everything was perfect and within the limits and it took me a week to recover and couple of month to go back to diving. i changed my profile and just trying to make extra saftey procedures here and there, and studied almost every document/study out there. for me no short cuts i am that annouying buddy lol who do all plans on a SAC of 20, pre checks, checks and drills as if i was a fresh student. having DCS was not a pleasnt experience but gave me time to think more about how things can happen and you must be prepared.
What is this, smh. Using color-coded hoses with any connection to an increased safety scheme resulting from post-DCS hit **wisdom**, regardless of "im not planning to rely on them", is utter nonsense.

If you've already received proper training and mentorship - use it; if you haven't received proper training and mentorship - seek it.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom