Halcyon Halo feels like it breathes in 2 stages

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Swamp_monster

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
500 - 999
I have a halcyon halo regulator that is pretty new, it has less than 40 dives on it. I noticed when I first got it that it did not breath like my other regulators, it was not smooth whatsoever. The best I can describe it is when breathing lightly is takes more effort than my other regulators then when I breath in a little harder it there is a distinct spot where you can feel a burst of air coming through. I took it to a tech and he bumped up the IP a little bit and it felt a little better but the problem still persists. What are some possible issues here? I was thinking maybe the air demand lever is too stiff or something?

I have a friend who used the halo exclusively for his doubles and he says his kinda breath like this also although I have not tested his my self.

I have to wonder why your tech adjusted your IP. That shouldn't have anything to do with the problem you described.

Did the tech check cracking pressure on your second stage?

I have to wonder why your tech adjusted your IP. That shouldn't have anything to do with the problem you described.

Did the tech check cracking pressure on your second stage?
He did not check the cracking pressure. I think the IP was within spec but on the lower end so he increased it a little.

You need to adjust the cracking pressure on the second stage. Your regulator is definitely not adjusted properly. Also seems like you may need to find a new tech.

You are not alone.

You are not alone.

Yup, I have the same exact setup. Anyone know why this happens? This regulator is just a scuba pro G250V branded halcyon...

Several things here, this seems to be a popular topic of late :wink:.

One, this is most likely the regulator being set with too high cracking force. It needs to be adjusted down to 1.1 inches of H2O. I might would even suggest going down to .9 and then using the knob to stop any leakage or to provide some spring tension on the seat (and while going about it, set the IP for the first stage back to specification).

Two, the nature of the design itself, the poppet and lever, produces a steep ramp up/transition from sipping to maximum flow. And the G250 design has a powerful Venturi as well. To some extent, this is how the G250 responds to demand.

Three, some of the lubricants that are popular nowadays are just really not very good and cake up or wash off leaving the poppet stem to balance chamber without anything much at all and stiction can then cause a two stage feel to the regulator response.

You might consider finding a new "tech" if the only thing he/she knows to do is to jack with the IP.

Edit to add, if you shake the second stage does the lever rattle? If the lever is low it can accentuate the two stage breathing feel especially coupled with a high cracking effort. I would probably take this regulator down, lubricate and inspect the poppet and balance chamber, reset the lever height and orifice and then work the cracking force down to no higher than 1.1 inches.

@Swamp_monster I have 2 Halos. They both do the same thing. There are a few threads now with others reporting the exact same problem. One of the other instructors at my shop got Halos also and has reported the samr problem with his.

I have had mine serviced at Halcyon (took them to HQ and dropped them off myself, in person, then picked them up 2 days later). We have serviced them again at my shop at least twice. Halcyon sent us new levers early on, saying they had a bad batch of levers. We put a new lever in and that didn't seem make any difference.

Each time, mine seem okay for the first few dives and then, after less than 10 dives, they start to do the same thing again.

Mine are now either on their way back to Halcyon or they are still at the shop waiting to be shipped.

Hopefully, Halcyon is going to finally get to the bottom of this and figure out what is going on, so we can all get fixed.

@Swamp_monster I have 2 Halos. They both do the same thing. There are a few threads now with others reporting the exact same problem. One of the other instructors at my shop got Halos also and has reported the samr problem with his.

I have had mine serviced at Halcyon (took them to HQ and dropped them off myself, in person, then picked them up 2 days later). We have serviced them again at my shop at least twice. Halcyon sent us new levers early on, saying they had a bad batch of levers. We put a new lever in and that didn't seem make any difference.

Each time, mine seem okay for the first few dives and then, after less than 10 dives, they start to do the same thing again.

Mine are now either on their way back to Halcyon or they are still at the shop waiting to be shipped.

Hopefully, Halcyon is going to finally get to the bottom of this and figure out what is going on, so we can all get fixed.

Four, Halcyon/Scubpro has done something to change something that causes something to not be right and whatever that something might be, if there is a something, I hope you please get to the bottom of the something. Because I for one am curious as all get out, please, as to what you find out from Halcyon?

Hmmm, since the problem keeps coming back after a short amount of dives I wonder if its a lube issue.

To be clear with the tech I did not pay him to do a full service. It was a "quick fix" he attempted to do and it did feel like it temporary made it better. I think he also re-seated the poppet.

Back
Top Bottom