Buying First Reg: Concerns with care / rinsing / servicing

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Very interesting post for me. I'm strictly a vacation diver and I'm going on a trip shortly during which I'll be using a DIN regulator for the first time.

In a scenario where I'll only have access to rinse tanks - no pressurized tanks or garden hoses for spraying the 1st and 2nd stages, what is the best way to care for my new reg during and after the trip?

Based on this thread I believe I should put the 1st stage dust cap on and then soak the 1st stage for a few minutes with the second stages draped over the side. After this then reverse the process by soaking the 2nd stages with the 1st stage out of the tank?

When I return home from the trip should I just give the entire reg a good rinsing with a garden hose? I don't yet have a tank at home for pressurizing.
Don't sweat it too much on the trip. Just dive it daily and leave it for the next day. You'll be soaking it for a few hours per day while diving. At the end of the trip, be sure the give the regulators a quick rinse even if it's in a sink or camera dunk tank. Just soak and agitate for 30 seconds. Do the 1st stage and 2nds separately and not all at once. Hang to dry.

After you get home do this all again but for a lot longer. Then hang to dry under a FAN for 24 hours with a few shakes to get the water out.

It would not be a bad idea to buy a new or used 19cf bottle to keep at home. You can use it for soaking your regs, blowing them out, or testing and evaluating them before each dive trip. Get a $20 IP gauge at the same time and you'll be in business.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom