Buying First Reg: Concerns with care / rinsing / servicing

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I was just saying that if the threads that are exposed to salt water during the dive are just as exposed to fresh water rinse after the dive. And if you do that before the salt water dries, you don't need prolonged soaking.
It takes time for the salt water to penetrate the threads, similarly it takes time for the fresh rinse water to penetrate and dilute the salt out. Hence the soak, not rinse.

Not sure what sort of port plugs you are referring to, but every one that I have ever used has the O-ring external to the threads, and there shouldn't be salt water getting to them. Same goes for hoses.
I wasn't clear in my language, but I was using port plugs as an example of threads that are protected by an external o-ring. So you're right! Hose threads are protected on the 1st stage side, usually not on the 2nd stage side.

The only threads that are exposed to salt water would be the DIN connection (they are outside of the O-ring), which we both agree get exposed to salt water and need to be cleaned.

Nope, all regulator bodies (that I'm familiar with) have unprotected threads somewhere other than the DIN/yoke retainers. Usually it's either the ambient chamber, HP seat retainer, diaphragm retainer. Sometimes these are pretty fine threads and it's easy for them to pretty eaten up by salt corrosion. I've seen it on dozens of 1st stages. There's also the interior of the ambient chamber in piston regulators.

It takes time for the salt water to penetrate the threads, similarly it takes time for the fresh rinse water to penetrate and dilute the salt out. Hence the soak, not rinse.

I wasn't clear in my language, but I was using port plugs as an example of threads that are protected by an external o-ring. So you're right! Hose threads are protected on the 1st stage side, usually not on the 2nd stage side.

Nope, all regulator bodies (that I'm familiar with) have unprotected threads somewhere other than the DIN/yoke retainers. Usually it's either the ambient chamber, HP seat retainer, diaphragm retainer. Sometimes these are pretty fine threads and it's easy for them to pretty eaten up by salt corrosion. I've seen it on dozens of 1st stages. There's also the interior of the ambient chamber in piston regulators.

OK, good to know!

OK, good to know!
I like to dunk my DIN stage with my thumb over the inlet. The threads get rinsed and i know no water is seeping inside.

Of course its a 2 minute job to dip the DIN fitting in the ultrasonic once in a while and at the same time i get to see the state of the filter.

Unlike many regulators today, even some from Scubapro, note that the lowly Mark 2 Evo has the DIN/Yoke adapter sealed by an O-ring above the threads.

Many first stages seal at the face and thus those threads are subject to saltwater flooding and corrosion. For example, the Mark 10:

Look at the Mark 5:

Can you get one of those in titanium yet?

After the last dive of the day I throw my entire rig still assembled (with air still on) in my pick up and drive home. It goes straight into a big tub of fresh water along with all my other gear and I let it soak overnight.
I don’t want to deal with it when I get home, too tired. That’s what morning is for. I go in the house and crack a beer instead.

If you take it off and put a DIN dust cap on it to soak, then all of the threads are covered.

Yeah from the sun but not from whatever people are soaking their regs in

Very interesting post for me. I'm strictly a vacation diver and I'm going on a trip shortly during which I'll be using a DIN regulator for the first time.

In a scenario where I'll only have access to rinse tanks - no pressurized tanks or garden hoses for spraying the 1st and 2nd stages, what is the best way to care for my new reg during and after the trip?

Based on this thread I believe I should put the 1st stage dust cap on and then soak the 1st stage for a few minutes with the second stages draped over the side. After this then reverse the process by soaking the 2nd stages with the 1st stage out of the tank?

When I return home from the trip should I just give the entire reg a good rinsing with a garden hose? I don't yet have a tank at home for pressurizing.

Yeah from the sun but not from whatever people are soaking their regs in

Right. My point is that they are "covered" the same way that the tank valve covers them. Not watertight, since they are outside of the O-ring. So my thinking was that the threads are exposed to salt water durijg the dive and fresh water afterwards, to rinse it off. The main thing is that you don't let it dry.

Back
Top Bottom