Buying First Reg: Concerns with care / rinsing / servicing

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

As the purge button needs to be depressed only half-way before moving it 10 degrees and locking it in place, a nearly impossible task [you would depress it too much] if touched accidentally; I wouldn't sweat it. Never happened to my G250s.
I'm not sweating anything.

I am refuting the assertion that Atomic is the only manufacturer that incorporates a seat saver on their 2nd stages.

I'm not sweating anything.

I am refuting the assertion that Atomic is the only manufacturer that incorporates a seat saver on their 2nd stages.
To me it sounds like you are arguing for the sake of arguing. You brought up the SP ‘locking purge’ seat saver, and I correctly replied that separating the seat from the orifice in that style of seat saver would require a deliberate action on the part of the diver. That purge doesn’t lock open easily, it’s not something that anyone would do accidentally. If it were, divers would be experiencing uncontrolled free flows when they accidentally tapped the purge button. Come on, this is a non issue.

There are other SP seat savers, but to my knowledge they don’t automatically separate the seat from the orifice when the regulator is not pressurized. The Atomic system uses a spring washer on a shoulder of the orifice, such that it takes downstream air pressure (IP) to compress the washer and ‘push’ the orifice into position in contact with the seat. Again, to my knowledge this is the only 2nd stage that uses a system like this. There may be others, but I don’t know about them. Maybe the Sherwood SR2 (is that right?) has something similar.

In any event, there is an easy and foolproof test to determine if it’s safe to soak your 1st stage unpressurized, and it works for any regulator. Put the dust cap in place, and suck on a 2nd stage. No air? No leak.

To me it sounds like you are arguing for the sake of arguing. You brought up the SP ‘locking purge’ seat saver, and I correctly replied that separating the seat from the orifice in that style of seat saver would require a deliberate action on the part of the diver. That purge doesn’t lock open easily, it’s not something that anyone would do accidentally. If it were, divers would be experiencing uncontrolled free flows when they accidentally tapped the purge button. Come on, this is a non issue.

There are other SP seat savers, but to my knowledge they don’t automatically separate the seat from the orifice when the regulator is not pressurized. The Atomic system uses a spring washer on a shoulder of the orifice, such that it takes downstream air pressure (IP) to compress the washer and ‘push’ the orifice into position in contact with the seat. Again, to my knowledge this is the only 2nd stage that uses a system like this. There may be others, but I don’t know about them. Maybe the Sherwood SR2 (is that right?) has something similar.

In any event, there is an easy and foolproof test to determine if it’s safe to soak your 1st stage unpressurized, and it works for any regulator. Put the dust cap in place, and suck on a 2nd stage. No air? No leak.
SR 2 does have a close/similar orifice system, Zeagle F8 has the same system as Atomic.

I have received information, as of yet not verified, that Scubapro no longer considers a seat saver necessary. Per this information the newer style plastic orifice along with the current seat does not need a seat saver and will not appreciably loose tune. Nonetheless, while I have noticed this regarding the newer white plastic orifice (which I rather like) I am still engaging the seat saver on my G260s and I still tune my G250s such that when the knob is fully out there is no real pressure on the orifice.

I am trying to decide if the information is fact or hear say or somewhere in between.

The seat saver on the G260 will not lock in use, no way, no how, not a safety concern, zero, zip, not at all.

Dude over here we have a beer where the catch cry is "And the best cold beer is Vic"

I think Atomic and Scubapro are way overpriced for recreational diving. So, unless you are a Gear Freak, I'd save some money and go for Cressi, Mares, etc. Or SEAC, if you settle on something in between.

My catch cry is "The best damn reg is Used" so I'm just a different kind of gear freak

but now really for some more pertinent stuff, all my gear I set up as closely as possible for 100%O2 use
but I also use a combination of O2 lube and Molycote111 SILICONE as these threads of which we speak
the din screw or yoke screw fitting things, and even the din insert, are OUTBOARD of the sealing Orings

I identify as a partial pressure blender

The threads for the first stage bodies are outboard of any seals and what is inside, slather it on the 111

Just use one hand for O2, one hand for silicone, like when you use one hand for eating, one for wiping

and your threads will freely open no matter the abuse

A Conshelf. I have seen Conshelfs from boat cleaners and commercial bailout bottles that made me want to puke when i opened up the second stage. Dove for years in horrible water, thrown in a milk crate at the end of the day, never rinsed. Perfect IP, no leaks, no freeflows. Cleaned up fine .... not much chrome but working great.

Regs are basic. It takes a lot to make them go bad.
Hey look, a Connie 21/1085
In use today!
49 degree water 🥶
Kelp loves it though.
IMG_3737.jpeg

Thousands of years from now after most of humanity has been off worlded to Dyson spheres and earth is returned to a Garden of Eden repopulated with bio-engineered animals and plants from preserved DNA there will be a team of archeologist exploring some ancient ruins. Among the ruins they will unearth a Scubapro Mark 2 Evo. They will marvel at it's simplicity, surely inspired by alien technology or some other inspiration from above. They will then shake the dirt off, transport it to Saturn and go dive it. Of course in this far away time, they will dive the moon of Europa below the ice.

The only reason the Mark 2 has an overhaul/service interval is to satisfy corporate lieyers. It can go at least a few thousand years, maybe even 20,000 or more.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom