Which agency should I join if I wish to become an Elite Diver?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I did the same now so I could find it later, but I never would have thought “I wonder what was GI3’s equipment list” to make me search for it.

The point is, the number of people aware of that list is probably quite small
I posted to highlight the fact that the use of shears and an extra knife by DIR guys goes back to the beginning.

Stating otherwise is bunk.

I posted to highlight the fact that the use of shears and an extra knife by DIR guys goes back to the beginning.

Stating otherwise is bunk.
I don't think that anyone disagrees with that, not even @almostDIR. Hopefully everyone can agree that it isn't common knowledge even among DIR divers who probably don't have the history that you do.

I don't think that anyone disagrees with that, not even @almostDIR. Hopefully everyone can agree that it isn't common knowledge even among DIR divers who probably don't have the history that you do.
I have no way of gauging what is or is not “common knowledge”.

Taking a 2nd cutting device has been widely discussed by tons of folks on SB.

Do a lil’ google search for “dir dive shears site:www.scubaboard.com”. Oodles of threads and discussion.

Sometimes golf is just a better hobby for certain people.

I have no way of gauging what is or is not “common knowledge”.

Taking a 2nd cutting device has been widely discussed by tons of folks on SB.

Do a lil’ google search for “dir dive shears site:www.scubaboard.com”. Oodles of threads and discussion.

Sometimes golf is just a better hobby for certain people.

That all may be true, but SB is not universally highly regarded, so many avoid it. There are those who drink the Kool Aid of whomever their instructor is, and never go beyond that. They don't need to take up golf per se, but hopefully they limit the scope of their diving.

That all may be true, but SB is not universally highly regarded, so many avoid it. There are those who drink the Kool Aid of whomever their instructor is, and never go beyond that. They don't need to take up golf per se, but hopefully they limit the scope of their diving.
So to recap:

Historical evidence of secondary cutting tools.

Stuff on the GUE and WKPP websites discussing secondary cutting tools.

Forum evidence of DIR trained people from all around the English speaking world discussing secondary cutting tools.

But somehow the knowledge of using a secondary cutting tool isn’t common and DIR falls short because reasons.

Okay.

I repeat what I posted earlier about what exactly is an elite diver. Look up "Rick Stanton, 56, and 47-year-old John Volanthen". These divers and others who work with them are held in the highest regard by UK divers. I live on the edge of the Yorkshire Dales where there are many caves and some of the feats by cave divers are astounding.
British divers Rick Stanton and John Volanthen have set a new cave diving record at Wookey Hole in Somerset.

The two divers utilized specialized rebreathers that they had customized and according to the divers, they had to utilize lift bags to move boulders that impeded their progress during their record setting dive.

Their utilization of said lift bags allowed the divers to move past the blockage that halted British diver Rob Parker in 1986 just short of 70 meters. The pair were able to continue on to a new chamber that was discovered at the record setting depth of 76 meters.

The 5 hour dive significantly extended the penetration into the Wookey Hole dive site.

Both divers have stated that they hope to return to find Chamber 26.
Mr Mallison previously rescued six British cavers from Mexico's Cueva de Alpazat cave system.

In 2010, he joined up with Mr Stanton and Mr Volanthen to break the record for the longest ever cave dive.

The trio, along with Dutch explorer Rene Houben, spent 50 hours underground charting 5.5 miles of previously unexplored submerged caves in Mexico.

Although not one of the above I recently met a cave diver who had dived with them. He has spent long periods in narrow flooded passages barely large enough for him to fit into (he is slightly built) clearing rubble in an attempt to find the underground connection between potholes.

I did the same now so I could find it later, but I never would have thought “I wonder what was GI3’s equipment list” to make me search for it.

The point is, the number of people aware of that list is probably quite small
It seems to be pretty difficult to find some information from GUE page because all the necessary links are not there (or at least I can't find them whatever I try, have to use the Search function to get anywhere projects or equipment related) . Could not for example find a "Projects" link which would have lead to the WKPP where the Irvine page could have been found.

there is lots of good in DIR mentality, my main point was that some people misunderstand the concept/teachings and that can cause all kind of problems. I have not taken any dir training (gue, utd, ise, etc) so cannot tell what they actually teach in those classes about redundancy but I still think that the "take only what you need to stay streamlined/nothing extra" mentality can lead a person to not take a secondary cutting tool to a deep technical dive and end up him having problems down there.

there is lots of good in DIR mentality, my main point was that some people misunderstand the concept/teachings and that can cause all kind of problems. I have not taken any dir training (gue, utd, ise, etc) so cannot tell what they actually teach in those classes about redundancy but I still think that the "take only what you need to stay streamlined/nothing extra" mentality can lead a person to not take a secondary cutting tool to a deep technical dive and end up him having problems down there.

ding ding ding!

Nature abhors a vacuum, so you’re filling it with what you “think”.

So to recap:

Historical evidence of secondary cutting tools.

Stuff on the GUE and WKPP websites discussing secondary cutting tools.

Forum evidence of DIR trained people from all around the English speaking world discussing secondary cutting tools.
What I do not believe is getting across is the bubble that many people place themselves. Your claim of the GUE archived articles doesn't support your point. Your point on forum evidence however does.

The problem is the bubble. The point that I believe was being made is that unfortunately, even those with GUE training who take what they see literally, don't go beyond it. It's crazy, but reality.

But somehow the knowledge of using a secondary cutting tool isn’t common and DIR falls short because reasons..

You are mischaracterizing statements, and hopefully you know it.

going somewhere else now so you can hopefully get back to the original subject.
better for me to Do It Right and stay out of this thread :D

Happy Holidays! :rain:

Back
Top Bottom