Question Hydros Pro or STek or Halcyon Infinity which should I buy as a new diver?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

It's pricey and all cheap plastic parts ... why would you want one? Of course it can be used for single tank diving but so can any other (super cheap) jacket BC on the market.

I'm all for people getting a cheap jacket BC if someone is on a budget, they're just fine but I definitely would advice against getting any type of pricey plastic wing jacket when you can get a proper wing/bp for less.
Pricey... Hum it is very subjective. Some people keeps talking about prices: we can all read a price tag, no need to remind us all the time about that. Does a very pricey car do more than a cheap one : most of the time no ! But if someone keeps reminding people that a cheap one does the same thing it would become weird after a while. Same thing here.
All cheap plastic parts... Hum it seems you never touch a Hydro Pro ! Or you are very very partial...
Worthless opinion then, brings nothing new to the thread !

I have a Hydro Pro with 150 dives with it. I like it but I am still considering a wing for several reason : The Hydro Pro is a bit "complicated". It seems a wing system is simpler. A wing system is easier to travel with : you put the plate down your suite case, fold the harness and you just have the wing to put somewhere (but not very bulky). The Hydro pro is a bit bulkier as you cannot separate things easily.
But on the other side the Hydro pro is nice to dive with (there is a donut wing on it after all) and, from what I see it is a bit lighter than a wing system with an aluminium plate. Especialy if you get rid of the weight integrated system.
I might keep the Hydro pro and get rid of the weight integrated system and replace that with much smaller ones of other brand...

I can't see any reason to buy the Infinity as opposed the Eclipse, but I would definitely go with some combination of a SS plate, 30# wing, and single piece harness, whether Halcyon or otherwise.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom