Question Hydros Pro or STek or Halcyon Infinity which should I buy as a new diver?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I am a new diver and trying to decide between the three buoyancy compensation devices. The local dive shop has the Hydros pro and Halcyon Infinity in stock. In full transparency I bought the Hydros Pro and am now second guessing myself and considering the Infinity. The shop owner told me both are great and there is a reason the Hydros is the number one seller.

My intention is to do PADI Advanced in the next few months through the shop. I was then considering GUE fundies. This is why I would need the BP/W. I have spoken with 2 people about fundies. One who said it’s a great community and the other who was not a fan.

I am very much in the training learning phase now and want good gear I can travel and grow with. They don’t have the S-Tek in stock so it’s more between Infinity and Hydros. Originally I was going to do the Atomic BC2 but decided against it. With the Hydros I was excited about having only two hoses. Air2 and Primary with wireless AI on my Perdix 2. They do not recommend the Air2 with the Infinity and I could do GUE training with it.

Which is better or is it all personal preference between being able to do GUE or having a travel friendly minimalist setup?

Thank you for any opinions or advice.

Fin: Apeks RK3
Wetsuit: 7mm Bare
Regulator: Atomic B2
Computer: Perdix 2
BC: ?? Infinity or Hydros
I guess you can return the Hydros? If so, I would highly recommend doing so and purchasing the Infinity. It is totally modular system and can follow you as your diving progresses. If you are going to do GUE fundamentals, it is a no brainer. You might even consider just getting the Eclipse System as your GUE instructor will probably want you do get rid of the ACB pockets. However, the ACB pockets are easily removed so I would just go with the Infinity. This is what is great about a BP/Wing. What to dive doubles? Just slap on a doubles wing and you are good to go. I would act now and do the exchange.

Being new and in the learning phase I’ll guess this is all pretty confusing so let me help you down the rabbit hole of madness.

1. Hydros is an excellent b/c, well made fairly modular and very popular world wide.
1.a. If you haven’t used it and you can trade it in for the S tec that is a great option.

2. Halcyon makes great stuff for conventional bp/w, well thought out and made, so does Diverite, Zeagle, Hollis, HOG, Deep 6 (if in stock) and sub gravity.

3. I really want to try the S tec but pretty costly but it looks like a step forward in design, what I don’t know is if that step really solves anything.

4. Look at Sub Gravity, it’s not well known but a few people here have tried it, it’s about 1/2 the cost of the S tec and offers more wing options.

there are manny ways to skin the catfish, so many people lock in on one thing and feel there is no reason to try new stuff, I personally can’t fathom such thought processes :wink:

if you can’t return the Hydros take a serious look at other alternatives after racking up a bunch of dives in it, use the hell out of it and sell it if you feel the need for more

5. Avoid dogma!

Did he ask to borrow money from you to pay for it?
Nope. Since you can spend your money only once, I would spend it on some good essential kit and on experience (diving) and training. The Halcyon piece - for me - would not offer any added value over other BP/W systems but will cost roughly 3 times as much. I think one could spend their money on experience and training, which is of more added value than the H embroidery. My opinion of course.

And yes, I do find it remarkable that some shops always recommend the highest-prized items, even though other, more affordable gear may be just as good. Not just in the diving industry, by the way. I see the same thing when it comes to skiing gear, for example.

The Halcyon piece - for me - would not offer any added value over other BP/W systems but will cost roughly 3 times as much. I think one could spend their money on experience and training, which is of more added value than the H embroidery. My opinion of course.

That is your opinion of course. You only see the logo and make judgements and totally ignore quality and company's service and attitude. Training and trips cost MUCH more than what you think you are going to save by buying lower quality or stripped down equipment. You are so focused on prices and nothing else and giving a very incomplete advice and assessment of dive equipment.

Nope. Since you can spend your money only once, I would spend it on some good essential kit and on experience (diving) and training. The Halcyon piece - for me - would not offer any added value over other BP/W systems but will cost roughly 3 times as much. I think one could spend their money on experience and training, which is of more added value than the H embroidery. My opinion of course.

And yes, I do find it remarkable that some shops always recommend the highest-prized items, even though other, more affordable gear may be just as good. Not just in the diving industry, by the way. I see the same thing when it comes to skiing gear, for example.
A very wise man once said:

“The bitterness of poor quality remains long after the sweetness of low price is forgotten.”​

― Benjamin Franklin

If you have to spend that kind of money on a BC, I'd recommend the Halcyon over ScubaPro. Halcyon has great customer service, and I've heard anecdotes of them fixing things post-warranty period as well. And if you get a BPW, the modularity of it means you can easily replace any problem items easily.

The other thing that is great about a BPW system, is that the ballast lies in a more stable spot, between your lungs and the wing. With a BCD, the most common place for weights are the pockets around the hip. The BPW weight placement makes it easier to maintain horizontal trim.

But with that being said, I agree with the other posts here -- a $1,000 system is not necessarily going to last twice as long as a $500 system. In fact, for $1,000, you could buy BOTH a $500 BPW (Deep6, DGX) and a $500 BCD (Mares Pure SLS, Seac Nick), and let us know which you like better.

If you have to spend that kind of money on a BC, I'd recommend the Halcyon over ScubaPro. Halcyon has great customer service, and I've heard anecdotes of them fixing things post-warranty period as well. And if you get a BPW, the modularity of it means you can easily replace any problem items easily.

Not entirely accurate nor complete:

1. Scubapro has great service and excellent handling of warranty issues even beyond warranty period.

2. The Hydros Pro is indeed modular. You can change/replace different parts of it no problem. This BC is based on the "modular" concept from the start.

The other thing that is great about a BPW system, is that the ballast lies in a more stable spot, between your lungs and the wing. With a BCD, the most common place for weights are the pockets around the hip. The BPW weight placement makes it easier to maintain horizontal trim.

Not true either:

1. You can maintain perfect trim with the Hydros Pro no issues. It has belt weight pockets, trim weight pockets on the plate. I haven't heard of ANYONE complaining about trim with the Hydros Pro. Achieving and maintaining trim and buoyancy is a skill issue not equipment issue in this case.

But with that being said, I agree with the other posts here -- a $1,000 system is not necessarily going to last twice as long as a $500 system.

How do you know and when have you tried a Hydros Pro? What is your metric for measuring durability? Is it number of dives, type of dives, length of time, or what? Your statement is purely an emotional statement that has no practical value nor can be measured properly. More driven by "fear" than by facts.

I know people who have 100's of dives on their Hydros Pro without any issues at all.

If you decide to take fundies, you don't need to go Halcyon. You can find a used, fully functional and serviceable BPW for less than 1/2 of what you paid for the Hydros. And several years down the road the BPW will still be worth 70-80% OF what you paid for it. The Hydros? you might get 20-25% of the retail.
And if anything needs fixed on the BPW it's 12 bucks worth of webbing and 50-100 for a new wing bladder if you buy the right wing to begin with.

+1, you should be able to source a second hand BPW for half price of new and in a very good state …

The only thing that you may have to change will be the harness if it is too worn out and that is quite cheap. The plate, the d-rings, the wing have a very long lifespan …

I've been happy with my Eclipse for years now, but you can probably find the equivalent for half the price.

Back
Top Bottom