Question Hydros Pro or STek or Halcyon Infinity which should I buy as a new diver?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

ScubaHusky

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
0 - 24
I am a new diver and trying to decide between the three buoyancy compensation devices. The local dive shop has the Hydros pro and Halcyon Infinity in stock. In full transparency I bought the Hydros Pro and am now second guessing myself and considering the Infinity. The shop owner told me both are great and there is a reason the Hydros is the number one seller.

My intention is to do PADI Advanced in the next few months through the shop. I was then considering GUE fundies. This is why I would need the BP/W. I have spoken with 2 people about fundies. One who said it’s a great community and the other who was not a fan.

I am very much in the training learning phase now and want good gear I can travel and grow with. They don’t have the S-Tek in stock so it’s more between Infinity and Hydros. Originally I was going to do the Atomic BC2 but decided against it. With the Hydros I was excited about having only two hoses. Air2 and Primary with wireless AI on my Perdix 2. They do not recommend the Air2 with the Infinity and I could do GUE training with it.

Which is better or is it all personal preference between being able to do GUE or having a travel friendly minimalist setup?

Thank you for any opinions or advice.

Fin: Apeks RK3
Wetsuit: 7mm Bare
Regulator: Atomic B2
Computer: Perdix 2
BC: ?? Infinity or Hydros

Hydros Pro for certain.

But if you are going for Fundies, you need a bpw afaik. I have hydros Pro and BP/W, don't use the bpw since I got the hydros Pro, always the hydros Pro for recreational diving with single tank.

Your local shop did try to sell you the most expensive pieces of kit you can find in that (BC) category though. My suggestion: go for something a little more affordable and use the saved $$ for extra dives or trips.
But I think in an earlier thread the price point of all your gear has already come up. So I'll shut up about it.
And I do believe that GUE is a true backplate and Wing kind of organization. Hydros Pro is not that. The Halcyon piece is.

Your local shop did try to sell you the most expensive pieces of kit you can find in that (BC) category though. My suggestion: go for something a little more affordable and use the saved $$ for extra dives or trips.
But I think in an earlier thread the price point of all your gear has already come up. So I'll shut up about it.
And I do believe that GUE is a true backplate and Wing kind of organization. Hydros Pro is not that. The Halcyon piece is.

Did he ask to borrow money from you to pay for it?

I had a similar “struggle” some months back but eventually the modularity and flexibility of the BP/W setup won me over (Halcyon Adventure Pro; the LDS did nudge me away from the Hydros, though by the point I had mostly done my research anyway)

This already came in handy as I’ve expanded to another BP/W (heavier SS plate for cold water and a custom Evolve wing) but of course I can mix and match these as needed. Not the slightest regret, BP/W really does unlock a lot of diving possibilities and flexibility in ways i don’t see other configurations able to work out. If that’s appealing to you at all, might be worth switching.

You already have a BCD, just keep diving it unless you are unhappy with it or it doesn't fit your needs. For example I switched to a BP/W because I didn't like the enclosed feeling and the bulk of a traditional BCD.

Why are you interested in fundies? If you are looking for a group of people to dive with (and are willing to embrace their narrow view on what constitutes proper diving) or want to continue with their tech training, that's one thing. But if you just want to become a more skilled diver, do your AOW, then consider hiring an instructor on a hourly basis to work on whatever you need to improve. And keep diving.

You already have a BCD, just keep diving it unless you are unhappy with it or it doesn't fit your needs. For example I switched to a BP/W because I didn't like the enclosed feeling and the bulk of a traditional BCD.

Why are you interested in fundies? If you are looking for a group of people to dive with (and are willing to embrace their narrow view on what constitutes proper diving} or want to continue with their tech training, that's one thing. But if you just want to become a more skilled diver, do your AOW, then consider hiring an instructor on a hourly basis to work on whatever you need to improve. And keep diving.

Amazing, I agree with this opinion 100%.

All excellent options. I have dived all three of them and you can't go wrong with any of them.

The Hydros Pro is the closest traditional BCD to compare to a BP/W that I have ever dived. I still use it for 80% of my single tank diving. I did add a crotch strap to my Hydros. It holds up well in all conditions and even takes on a nice "bronze" look to the wing if used in chlorine pools a lot! I tell people that mine is a "special edition"... :)

The new S-Tek kit is excellent. The backplate is high quality and has a very nice built-in handle for single tank diving and I think the STA is the best I have seen. I have 4 of the trim pockets mounted to the backplate...if you switch between doubles and singles...these pockets are a real pain to put on and take off because of the book screw that Scubapro uses (same as Hydros)...so for a "dual use" backplate, put trim pockets on the cam band. You can add the color kits to the backplate and harness for a splash of color if you like (similar to the Hydros Pro color kits). The wing is of excellent quality. I personally hate the harness webbing that Scuabpro uses with a passion! It is like a wet noodle and it was replaced after the very first day of diving with Halcyon harness webbing.

I now have the Scuabpro backplate and STA with Halcyon harness webbing. I use a Halcyon Eclipse wing (20 or 30) depending on AL or Steel cylinder diving. I primarily use this kit when I am diving with my Optima Chest Mount rebreather because of the D-ring placement options you have with a BP/W configuration.

Like the other advice you have been provided, mine is the same. You have the Hydros Pro now, so dive the heck out of it until you find yourself doing dives where the Hydros just does not fit your needs. It is nice to have a backplate that allows you to switch between single tank and double tank diving, but if you already own the Hydros...you will likely just grab it for the majority of your single tank diving and leave the backplate to use with your doubles.

If you decide to take fundies, you don't need to go Halcyon. You can find a used, fully functional and serviceable BPW for less than 1/2 of what you paid for the Hydros. And several years down the road the BPW will still be worth 70-80% OF what you paid for it. The Hydros? you might get 20-25% of the retail.
And if anything needs fixed on the BPW it's 12 bucks worth of webbing and 50-100 for a new wing bladder if you buy the right wing to begin with.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom