New Gear / Purchase Questions

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

B2 is a good reg and can be sealed if needed, but if your budget is limited such that it causes you to get a lower quality octo of a different brand, better off going with the Z2 and matching octo. matching brands also makes servicing somewhat easier in the long run if you don't go DIY.

for the bcd, if you still prefer a back inflate over a bpw, zeagle has a cheaper option with the covert that is plenty for single tank diving.

you can also stop by steele's discount scuba in oakland to see what jim might have in stock

To answer your question honestly. I have purchased both BCD’s and have hundreds of dives on both. I kind of refer to them as tecreational BCD’s. Both have Air II’s on them with primary second stage on a 40 inch hose routed under my right arm with a 90 degree swivel on the regulator. Both preform great. The Zeagle is a little more comfortable in the water and has a split crotch strap. But my preference is the ScubaPro Hydros Pro due to its rapid drying time, fold ability for carryon luggage, trim and minimalist functionality.

I like my Hydros Pro. It's my easy to get on, comfy to wear, easy to adjust & trim out, stable in the water go-to for rec diving with a single cylinder.

Would i use it for tech diving. No. Realistically it isn't strong or robust enough for a set of doubles, so i have a classic DIR style BP/W for that.

Basically, trying to do everything with one set up actually gets to be a PITA in my experience. it's better to buy two cheaper systems that cover a wider range of capabilities.

I agree with what everyone else is telling you about the BC. If you are going to do tech, just get a BP/W with a continuous webbing harness now. It saves you money, works great and you'll get to know the gear you'll be using later.

For regs, first issue is don't mix a Mares (or Poseidon, for what it's worth) and Atomic seconds as they have very different specified intermediate pressures. You can tune them to work, but you'll likely end up with either a hard breathing reg or one that's prone to freeflow.

Anyway, if you are going the tech route, you'll want to have multiples of the same kind of gear to ease setup and servicing. For tech, you'll most likely want an environmentally sealed balanced diaphragm first stage. HOG/Deep 6 is popular with tech divers in the US for a moderate-priced reg. The designer of the HOG went on to found Deep 6, so the designs are quite similar. The Deep 6 version is a little more refined and usually less expensive, but it's online only if that's a concern. DGX also sells a branded version of the same reg through its online store. HOG does have a dealer network in the US. Service parts are really available in the US for all three.

For stuff that can be serviced around the world, Apeks is very popular in the UK, but somewhat less so here because it's priced higher. Other premium priced regs are the ScubaPro Mk17/ Halcyon H50-D and their respective seconds.

There are other regs that would work very well including dive from Mares, Poseidon, and Atomic. But they either very expensive (remember that if you go tech you are going to end up buying several additional regs so the cost really adds up) or niche products that you won't see much in North America. They probably aren't a good choice unless you are already a fan.

I should note that I'm not a tech diver, just a reg design enthusiast. I'm sure the qualified folks will come along with any necessary corrections.

Hello All,

I am finally at the point where I will be purchasing a full set of Scuba gear (minus tanks) and I was hoping for some input on my choice of BCD. Right now I am looking at the ScubaPro Hydros Pro w. Air 2, versus possibly the Zeagle Ranger. Both have very good reviews and I am trying to narrow it down.

Preferably I would like to have something which will last a very long time, and use for basically everything that I will be doing, up to the extent of more high-end / advanced technical diving. All the way through deep, XR and cave / wreck diving would be preferable. I am looking to do some of this somewhat professionally in the future and it would be fantastic if I could continue to use the same set of gear 4-5 years from now, if this is something which is possible.

I was looking at these two BCD's specifically because they are both higher-end, back-inflate, and modular. I have heard that the Zeagle lasts forever, but it seems like it would be less comfortable, and I am not as familiar with the ripcord weight system.

As for the ScubaPro Hydros Pro, it also has very good reviews, and it seems like it would be fairly minimal / comfortable. I am not sure if it is durable enough for the long run though, and again I would like to eventually get into technical diving. This would at some point also include the use of multiple tanks, and I want to make sure that this BCD would still work for this.

When someone has a moment, please let me know what your thoughts / experience might be between these two BCD's as the best choice for the long run. As for a regulator, I am looking at the Atomic B2 Swivel, and the Mares Prestige for my octopus / secondary. Right now I'm also using a Shearwater Perdix AI as my dive computer.

Sincerely,

-Ben
Hi Ben!
I own a Zeagle 911(ranger with a few extra goodies) and unfortunately it will 100% not work for cave/tech diving. Although they can hold twin tanks, they truly aren't made for it with a horseshoe style wing, and plastic buckles, wont work (the SP either). I would get a cheap backplate, and have my LDS fit me some webbing, to be as comfortable and stable as possible...I would also hold off on the regs see what is appropriate for your future type of diving, I own HOG regs and they breath really nice, you can also learn to service them quite easily... But Dive Rite, Deep6, Xdeep, Poseidon, Hollis are all great for tech diving <TG>

You're getting a lot of advice that if you want to go towards tec diving you'll need a BP/W and that's very true. Even though the Ranger can carry doubles that doesn't mean it should. But, there is no one size fits all system. Even if you get a BP/W set up, you'll need a doubles wing when you dive with doubles and you'll want a single wing when you only carry one tank. You can use the same harness and plate, but a doubles wing will be too big and floppy with a single tank.

As far as your choice between those two BCs for rec diving, they are pretty similar. The Ranger is a bit bigger with a bit more lift and the Hydros has all that fancy grippy stuff on the back "plate" and straps, which I actually don't like. My shop uses the Hydros as our pool gear, so I have a lot of experience using them, but I prefer my Stiletto. If you like pockets, keep in mind that the Hydros has none - it's designed to be minimalist.

I also have a BP/W from Vintage Double Hose that I love and is paired with my Deep 6 reg set and what I use for my cold water (local quarries and great lakes) diving.

We use the Atomics B2/Z2 regs for our checkout dives at my shop. The B2 is available sealed for a nominal price difference and if you go that route I would recommend it. The swivel on it is kind of meh at best. It takes a little of the tension off, but it's not quite as comfortable as the full 360 ball joint I put on my Deep 6 seconds. I need to add one to my Scuba Pro G260 because the straight hose connection on that makes it uncomfortable to turn to the right.

One more thought on the combination of the SP Hydros Pro and the Air2: It's an uncomfortable combination to use in real life. The shoulder loop that you run the corrugated hose and inflator through is a solid loop on the Hydros, so when you are breathing off the Air2 as your second, your left shoulder will pull at it and because of the shape of the Air2, you want to keep the right side of it pointed slightly downward (having the diaphragm on a second stage pointing upward increases work of breathing). With my Stiletto, I can reach up and release the velcro on the loop, freeing the hoses and giving me a little more freedom of movement.

I don't dive Tech but I would think BP/W is the best if that's your goal and you are gaining familiarity with your gear as you progress. I would avoid an Air2, have a dedicated Octo IMO not a multitask device. For regulators possibly Dive Rite, SP, Atomic, Apeks, etc as they all have well proven regs. I don't have any experience with Atomic, Deep 6, Haylcon, X Deep or DGX regs. Apeks and AquaLung are the same company so they should have support in the US.

I like my Hydros Pro. It's my easy to get on, comfy to wear, easy to adjust & trim out, stable in the water go-to for rec diving with a single cylinder.

Would i use it for tech diving. No. Realistically it isn't strong or robust enough for a set of doubles, so i have a classic DIR style BP/W for that.

Basically, trying to do everything with one set up actually gets to be a PITA in my experience. it's better to buy two cheaper systems that cover a wider range of capabilities.

This is pretty much my set up.
Hydro Pro [simple harness, no pockets] and crotch strap.
2 DIR Harness BP/W [Hog and Scubapro wings ] 4 plates [2 SS, 2 Al] for the other stuff.
Over the top I know.... But.
Agree with this: " trying to do everything with one set up actually gets to be a PITA in my experience".
Edit: As for regulators, the advice given above is good, if you do not service it yourself, buy what can be serviced in your area.

I tried a crotch strap, but even upside down, my Hydros Pro doesn't budge, so I usually go without the crotch strap. My geometry must be right for my BCD...so that's one thing I have going for me! :)

Deleted: PM sent Trip09.
New diver area, what I posted was off topic for this area.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom