New Gear / Purchase Questions

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

bnstn

New
Reaction score
# of dives
0 - 24
Hello All,

I am finally at the point where I will be purchasing a full set of Scuba gear (minus tanks) and I was hoping for some input on my choice of BCD. Right now I am looking at the ScubaPro Hydros Pro w. Air 2, versus possibly the Zeagle Ranger. Both have very good reviews and I am trying to narrow it down.

Preferably I would like to have something which will last a very long time, and use for basically everything that I will be doing, up to the extent of more high-end / advanced technical diving. All the way through deep, XR and cave / wreck diving would be preferable. I am looking to do some of this somewhat professionally in the future and it would be fantastic if I could continue to use the same set of gear 4-5 years from now, if this is something which is possible.

I was looking at these two BCD's specifically because they are both higher-end, back-inflate, and modular. I have heard that the Zeagle lasts forever, but it seems like it would be less comfortable, and I am not as familiar with the ripcord weight system.

As for the ScubaPro Hydros Pro, it also has very good reviews, and it seems like it would be fairly minimal / comfortable. I am not sure if it is durable enough for the long run though, and again I would like to eventually get into technical diving. This would at some point also include the use of multiple tanks, and I want to make sure that this BCD would still work for this.

When someone has a moment, please let me know what your thoughts / experience might be between these two BCD's as the best choice for the long run. As for a regulator, I am looking at the Atomic B2 Swivel, and the Mares Prestige for my octopus / secondary. Right now I'm also using a Shearwater Perdix AI as my dive computer.

Sincerely,

-Ben

Hi Ben,

Welcome to Scuba Board.

You may want to consider a backplate and wing setup rather than a traditional BCD. Have a look at this thread for some helpful information: Beginners Guide To BP/W

Cheers,

Couv

i have seen a couple of customers with that SP model bcd. i didn't like it.
we have some staff and customers who love their rangers.
i was told by one staff member that his ranger will hold a back plate, and can also be used for doubles. so his is very versatile.
i wouldn't worry too much about the rip cord system. the odds of you ever needing to ditch the lead are pretty low. so when would you ever need to rethread it ?
i would choose an atomic over mares if those were my two choices.
never seen a bad review of a shearwater so i assume you will be well served by yours.

If you want something to work for tech diving, you need to get a BP/W. I don’t know about other instructors, but for my tech instructor, it’s a proper BP/W for doubles or dedicated SM rig. Not some recreational jacket BC that *might* work for doubles.

I’m sorry, but thinking a jacket BC will work for cave diving? What makes you think that would fly?

A BP/W is the only way to “future proof” a BC purchase (unless you decided to go SM)

Regs, get the same second stage for both.

BC, I used to have a zeagle ranger and it is a very good BC.

Preferably I would like to have something which will last a very long time, and use for basically everything that I will be doing, up to the extent of more high-end / advanced technical diving.

The words technical diving puts you in BPW, nothing wrong with getting one now though in fact several people who don't and never will do tech love them.

Shearwater is a great choice.

If you have any interest in tech training down the line, skip the BCD and go BP/W like Couv mentioned. You will be required to buy it at the start of tech training anyway, so may as well get it now. Follow the "buy once, cry once" philosophy. You've already got the Perdix so that was a GREAT choice. Good luck! If you are ever down in SD feel free to hit me up, I'm always looking to go out.

Hello All,

I am finally at the point where I will be purchasing a full set of Scuba gear (minus tanks) and I was hoping for some input on my choice of BCD. Right now I am looking at the ScubaPro Hydros Pro w. Air 2, versus possibly the Zeagle Ranger. Both have very good reviews and I am trying to narrow it down.

Preferably I would like to have something which will last a very long time, and use for basically everything that I will be doing, up to the extent of more high-end / advanced technical diving. All the way through deep, XR and cave / wreck diving would be preferable. I am looking to do some of this somewhat professionally in the future and it would be fantastic if I could continue to use the same set of gear 4-5 years from now, if this is something which is possible.

I was looking at these two BCD's specifically because they are both higher-end, back-inflate, and modular. I have heard that the Zeagle lasts forever, but it seems like it would be less comfortable, and I am not as familiar with the ripcord weight system.

As for the ScubaPro Hydros Pro, it also has very good reviews, and it seems like it would be fairly minimal / comfortable. I am not sure if it is durable enough for the long run though, and again I would like to eventually get into technical diving. This would at some point also include the use of multiple tanks, and I want to make sure that this BCD would still work for this.

When someone has a moment, please let me know what your thoughts / experience might be between these two BCD's as the best choice for the long run. As for a regulator, I am looking at the Atomic B2 Swivel, and the Mares Prestige for my octopus / secondary. Right now I'm also using a Shearwater Perdix AI as my dive computer.

Sincerely,

-Ben

Everything I list below will take you from 1 dive to 10,000 dives, cave and instructor if taken care of. For the Record, I bought myself and the Kids all Zeagle and Atomic gear when we started diving, it is great stuff but.... I replacedn of mine in under 3 years, my daughters in under 5. It won't last for what you want to do.

First off, Buy the Computer. While a lot of people are head over heels about the Garmin, in Tech Diving you want 2 computers. No way I am paying for 2, $1500 computers. Also, Shearwater has a LONG history of great support and reliability... I would also steer you to the Perdix AI. Teric is Great, I have both. But by the time you are ready for 2, Teric will get some upgrades. So yes, get the Perdix.

AI (air intergration) is awesome for New Divers, as it puts your Gas readings right on your wrist where you will monitor it more easily and often.

Next I would go Regulators, because rentals do not always like AI in thier gear. There is an argument for what you can get serviced locally. That said, I have dove dozens of different Regulators and you really cannot tell the difference. Many shops tweak their Regulators poorly, to upsell you on higher end stuff. I had a 30yo lady yesterday on an Atomic, DGX and a Hog at 35 feet.. She liked the Hog the best, you may be different. Everyone may be different. Hogs, DGX, Deep 6 Gear, they are pretty much all the same and better priced then the major brands, its the servicing question people caution.

Personally I say No Go for Atomics. Again, I still own a couple, which are going up for sell sooner or later. The B2 is not environmentally sealed, and that a must in Caves and Wrecks. You can get the Atomic M1, but again the cost of servicing it, compared to the others is 2-3x higher.

Now.... If you are planning on going Pro, then the above brands are not to be ignored. Many Pro's become service tech's and all the above support end user rebuilds. You can take the course to learn to rebuild them and save yourself some cash.

As people mentioned above, for your goals, it is best to go BP/W. I have 2 Rangers in the closet, and neither have been used in Years. Can you put doubles on the Ranger, yeah... Do you really want to, NO. Ripcord system is simple, ignore the bad mouthing. BP/W will out live you, and far more modular then the Ranger.

Now, for the BP/W both of my Intro to Tech/cavern/Cave Instructors swore by single strap, more real estate for streamlining. You have others the swear by the deluxe. I train kids as young as 11 on both. I have 2 14 yo girls in separate classes, both want single strap. One is using a deluxe, and had me remove the pads yesterday, until her single strap gear comes in. (she wants all purple).

For BP/W, again Deep 6, Hog and DGX are pretty much the same again and generally cheaper then the rest. For my Doubles, I use a Hog Plate, a OMS Pad and a Dive Rite redundant bladder. For my Singles, its all Hog. You can save alot of money with these brands... You can also make your LDS much more happier with your buying theirs. Some shops will take care of you better in the long run, some just will screw you either way, no your shop.

Halycon, Halycon, Halycon

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom