Question Hydros Pro or STek or Halcyon Infinity which should I buy as a new diver?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

1. Scubapro has great service and excellent handling of warranty issues even beyond warranty period.

Please show me how you replace the wing in the Hydros Pro.

1. You can maintain perfect trim with the Hydros Pro no issues. It has belt weight pockets, trim weight pockets on the plate. I haven't heard of ANYONE complaining about trim with the Hydros Pro. Achieving and maintaining trim and buoyancy is a skill issue not equipment issue in this case.

I'm not saying one cannot maintain horizontal trim in a BCD. But it's a lot less natural because unless the weight is in the correct spot, you have to correct for the weights pulling you down while wing pulls you up. It is certainly skill based, but poorly suited equipment will make it harder.

How do you know and when have you tried a Hydros Pro?

I own a Hydros Pro. I stopped diving it after switching to a BPW for the previously mentioned reasons.

I never had to replace one, have you had to replace one? I checked with SP a while back, they have great customer service with very nice attitude, they assured me that you can replace any part should it need replacement. I never tried to find out how to replace the wing because I never had to.

ut it's a lot less natural because unless the weight is in the correct spot, you have to correct for the weights pulling you down while wing pulls you up.

Say what? You want the weights to be in the wrong spot? The purpose of the weights is to pull you down to compensate for the things pushing you up due to buoyancy. The wing will push you up if it has air in it.

It is certainly skill based, but poorly suited equipment will make it harder.
Yes, any equipment will make it harder if you don't know how to use it. I own the Hydros Pro, a BP/W and others (including Jacket BC's) and I don't find that the BP/W is any better in maintaining trim or buoyancy than the Hydros or the other BC's I have.

I own a Hydros Pro. I stopped diving it after switching to a BPW for the previously mentioned reasons.

I own a BP/W and used it with single tanks for a long while and stopped using it after I bought the Hydros.

What reasons made you switch from a Hydros to a BP/W? I don't see why at all. There is absolutely no reason to switch especially if you own one.

Ah the circular reasoning here, I love it.

You said it's modular.
2. The Hydros Pro is indeed modular. You can change/replace different parts of it no problem. This BC is based on the "modular" concept from the start.

I asked you how is it modular.

You responded by saying... Some combination of "don't need to replace" and "send it back to SP".
I never had to replace one, have you had to replace one? I checked with SP a while back, they have great customer service with very nice attitude, they assured me that you can replace any part should it need replacement. I never tried to find out how to replace the wing because I never had to.

But that's not what modularity means.

You responded by saying... Some combination of "don't need to replace" and "send it back to SP".
Never said that, I said that I never had to replace and never said send back to SP. I don't know how it is replaced, I never investigated nor needed to replace it.

Don't put words in my mouth please.

But that's not what modularity means.
No, I wasn't talking about modularity there, you were asking about replacing the wing and I replied to you about that. I didn't put the word "modular" in that statement.

You tell me what modularity means to you and what you want.

You are just BS'ing your way around not having anything of value to contribute here. No facts at all, just circular logic and misquotations.

Okay so sounds like the Hydros Pro is not modular.
Never said that, I said that I never had to replace and never said send back to SP. I don't know how it is replaced, I never investigated nor needed to replace it.

You tell me what modularity means to you and what you want.

Modular design, or modularity in design, is a design principle that subdivides a system into smaller parts called modules (such as modular process skids), which can be independently created, modified, replaced, or exchanged with other modules or between different systems.​

Keep the Hydros pro and dive it.
I would and buy a B/W system as well, they are not expensive and easy to set up [if you can afford it].
Now the Halcyon infinity is $200 more expensive than the Scubapro S-Tek Pro Single System [here in Australia] and $600 more than the Hydros Pro.

The HOG B/W system I own was $558 cheaper than the H system.
I don't know what prices you guys a paying over there, but I do know the Halcyon gear is very expensive over here.

I own a X tek system as well, but that is just me, too much gear [now on ebay].
I now dive the Hydros Pro [simple harness, no weight pockets] for most of my dives now.
But I am an older diver and want things easy a simple, on/off and no problem with trim.

The Hydros Pro air cell can be replaced, the shoulder harness can be replaced, the waist straps can be replaced, the backplate can be replaced. Is it simple and easy for a user to replace? Absolutely not. But the parts can be replaced without purchasing a new BCD. Scubaro is on their 3rd revision of the shoulder harness assembly. No need to return the BCD to Scubapro as dealers can easily replace it if it has torn. The user can also easily swap the lower harness component to dive the unit without weight pockets. The straps are included with every Hydros Pro. Seems to fit the definition of a modular to me. It is not expandable to other applications, like diving with doubles, as a BPW is.

I dive both and I think they both do a great job for single tank diving. The traditional BPW allows you to expand if you are on a tight budget, but I find that my BPW for my doubles is only used with the doubles and my BPW + STA for singe tank diving is only used for single tank diving, If it is a quick dip, the Hydros Pro is quick and easy. I actually prefer it about 80% of the time.

I will say that 100% of all single tank dives I do can be performed using my BPW. Only 80% can be performed by the Hydros Pro. But for those 80%...I actually prefer the Hydros Pro.

1674341143402.png
1674342244512.png

for $1,000, you could buy BOTH a $500 BPW (Deep6, DGX) and a $500 BCD (Mares Pure SLS, Seac Nick), and let us know which you like better.
It is an old post but I still answer : a Hydro Pro is not a BPW but it is certainly not a BCD like the Mares Pure SLS. The Hydro Pro is almost a PBW... I don't know what @ScubaHusky did but the Hydro Pro is certainly good enough for his "career" in regard of the number of dives he had. And I am surprise that nobody told him that an Air2 system is a very bad system...

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom