Question How to improve dive skills as a rec diver - alternatives to GUE fundamentals course

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Your best option would be one of the fundamentals from GUE or UTD.
OK, now we have an explanation for the first post and the entire thread. If you buy a full set of gear and then go to GUE for more the fundamentals class, they will require that you get rid of what you have and get the kind of gear they prefer.

OK, now we have an explanation for the first post and the entire thread. If you buy a full set of gear and then go to GUE for more the fundamentals class, they will require that you get rid of what you have and get the kind of gear they prefer.
sometimes people borrow that gear. I'm more than happy to loan out a BP/W setup for anyone taking the class in Seattle. I can't speak for all locations but here, plenty of the GUE community will loan equipment.

sometimes people borrow that gear. I'm more than happy to loan out a BP/W setup for anyone taking the class in Seattle. I can't speak for all locations but here, plenty of the GUE community will loan equipment.
Well, they could also borrow that equipment from me if they wanted to and were taking a class like that with me as the instructor. But I would also teach them those skills in whatever gear they have, so they would not have to get the GUE-approved equipment if they didn't want to.

Of course, to do that, they would have to be willing to take a course from a total POS instructor like me instead of a sainted GUE instructor.

Instructors like me work very, very hard to provide the best possible experience for students, and it is very tiresome to have people like you telling people that you can only get quality instruction from that one agency day after day after day after day after day after day after day after day after day after day after day after day after day after day after day after day after day after day after day after day after day after day after day after day after day after day after day after day after day after day after day.

Well, they could also borrow that equipment from me if they wanted to and were taking a class like that with me as the instructor. But I would also teach them those skills in whatever gear they have, so they would not have to get the GUE-approved equipment if they didn't want to.
Okay, you won't loan out equipment to students taking a course from someone else. But other people will.
Of course, to do that, they would have to be willing to take a course from a total POS instructor like me instead of a sainted GUE instructor.
I guess I'm a total POS instructor as well, as I will NEVER be a (sainted) GUE instructor. It hasn't been easy, but I have come to terms with that.
Instructors like me work very, very hard to provide the best possible experience for students, and it is very tiresome to have people like you telling people that you can only get quality instruction from that one agency day after day after day after day after day after day after day after day after day after day after day after day after day after day after day after day after day after day after day after day after day after day after day after day after day after day after day after day after day after day after day.
You are completely mischaracterizing my statements. I don't know why as you have a better grasp of the english language than I do.

Okay, you won't loan out equipment to students taking a course from someone else. But other people will.
I didn't say I wouldn't loan my equipment out to someone taking another course.

I didn't say I wouldn't loan my equipment out to someone taking another course.
When you said:
Well, they could also borrow that equipment from me if they wanted to and were taking a class like that with me as the instructor.
That's the impression I got.

Just as an FYI, I thought my last few posts were going into a different thread, so they do not make total sense in this one.

...If you buy a full set of gear and then go to GUE for more the fundamentals class, they will require that you get rid of what you have and get the kind of gear they prefer.

That is an interesting assumption that the gear is automatically not GUE philosophy compliant.

When I took Fundamentals, the only things that I had to change were the length of my hoses and my console computer (a Wisdom which was starting to give odd readings) to a wrist one.

One GUE instructor outright just gave me a pair of jetfins that were gifted to him by an LDS - 1.5 years before I ever even thought about taking the course.

GUE divers lent me long-hosed regs to try and had pool sessions with me to practice S-drills.

The GUE instructor intern lent me one of his bottom timers for months before the course until my chosen computer became available.

In GUE fashion, I have also lent out gear many times to divers as well as mentored them. The instructors tend to travel with a trailer full of entire sets of gear and I've seen them just lend them out. These days, in certain areas like the Great Lakes and rivers, many divers have philosophy compliant gear more often than not, even if they're not GUE divers. Either way, gear gets borrowed or rented quite often.

Actually you are quite wrong.
I did take the fundy just recently, years after I realised I could have bought other kind of equipment.

Moreover, you just did not read my entire post: you can rent the gear needed for fundy and thats it.
as for doing the same skills with other equipmenr: yes of course you can do it. I totally agree on that and a good scuba diver has solid skills with all kind of equipment.

That is an interesting assumption that the gear is automatically not GUE philosophy compliant.

When I took Fundamentals, the only things that I had to change were the length of my hoses and my console computer, (a Wisdom which was starting to give odd readings) to a wrist one.

One GUE instructor outright just gave me a pair of jetfins that were gifted to him by an LDS - 1.5 years before I ever even thought about taking the course.

GUE divers lent me long-hosed regs to try and had pool sessions with me to practice S-drills.

The GUE instructor intern lent me one of his bottom timers for months before the course until my chosen computer became available.

In GUE fashion, I have also lent out gear many times to divers as well as mentored them. The instructors tend to travel with a trailer full of entire sets of gear and I've seen them just lend them out. These days, in certain areas like the Great Lakes and rivers, many divers have philosophy compliant gear more often than not, even if they're not GUE. Either way, it gets borrowed or rented quite often.
Thanks for this; I had the same good experience. Dont know why people are convinced in GUE they kind of oblige you to buy stuff 😀

Back
Top Bottom