Question How to improve dive skills as a rec diver - alternatives to GUE fundamentals course

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

How did GUE get such a bad rep in the US?

I think two reasons:

1) A noisy individual in the beginning was abrasive and antagonistic towards others. He was a key figure in Florida cave diving and this had a polarizing effect.

2) Freshly-certified individuals can sometimes be overly exuberant about their newfound principles and skills. I think most of the time these are people who have never been part of a small team with high standards, a keystone focus on life-preserving/life-saving skills and that seeks to train frequently.

In contrast, seasoned GUE divers seem to settle in with their capabilities and experiences (it’s just how they dive) and think more about their ambassadorial role than “fixing” everybody.

I think SB is just another example of how media overamplifies conflict. I think we argue on SB about GUE versus everybody else far more than we do on boats or in parking lots.

My first question on this forum, and in case this is the wrong area to post, please redirect me.

My wife and I are in our fifties and have been (travel) diving for a while, but with low frequency (70-90 dives spread over many years, warm water only, AOW/Nitrox certification level). We always used rental gear.
On our first liveaboard trip, with conditions a bit more challenging than we had seen before, we really noticed that our skills are not sufficient for those conditions, and also that mastering equipment takes time if you need to adjust each time to a different rental setup. Conclusion was 2 things : we need to get (re)trained to improve our basic skills, and we probably should invest in our (travel friendly) own gear (eg BP/W and longhose setup). I might post a different question about the gear, but this post is about the skills.

After reading on this forum and the web about DIR and GUE fundamentals, I kind of got hooked on the idea of following a training that would step up our skills, and get us comfortable and more relaxed in the water (buoyancy, trim, propulsion) but also ready to respond to emergencies in most circumstances as a Rec diver (including wreck & drift dives, low visibility, ...). The GUE Fundies (Rec) training could be exactly what we need, and is absolutely an option (although probably split in 1 & 2).

Looking at the curricula of other dive agencies as an alternative however, I really do not know what to pick. A Tec intro course ? But then which one ? Maybe we might go for some Tec training some day, but today, we would like to just become much better Rec divers.

So my question is for recommendations for an alternative route to getting those recreational fundamental skills in a non-GUE world. Which course(s) should we follow? Focus should be on acquiring the skills and practicing them until we really internalised them. If you have a particular instructor recommendation, that also would be very appreciated. We live in Europe, so the Med could be a destination for that.

Thanks for your experience and wisdom.
Rescue Diver course. Very valuable, you'll learn new things and reinforce what you already learned.

@Wagiman

You may have seen me recommend GUE fundies often. Some may say I do so ad nauseum. But there is a reason that you already know: consistent, high quality training.

However, you specified you are seeking equivalent training. Someone posted a RAID center in Malta. You may consider RAID's performance diver course: Learn to scuba dive | Get your scuba certification | Scuba diving lessons | Online scuba training | Learn to dive rebreathers | Scuba diving schools | Scuba vacations | Underwater photography | Diver training program

The other option is to train with Demis Farugia. Home | DIVErse SCUBA Solutions | Malta. In fact, I will personally guarantee his training in that if you are not satisfied, I will refund the money you paid him.

Rescue Diver course. Very valuable, you'll learn new things and reinforce what you already learned.
The GUE Rec 2 course also covers rescue skills.

in the end of 2020 I found a Gue Fundamentals Instructor and took the plunge without a thought where I was going with it. fast forward 2 years today. Ive done and crosstrained up to TDI Extended Range. I infact dive with different groups. No it has never been an issue. We dive Technical and Recreational.

In the last 2 years I have managed to convince my whole family. Wife and 2 kids to dive. managed to convinced 5more families to do scuba diving. you can imagine the logistic nightmare whenever we have an out of town trip. That's 25-28 Divers. More than half is kids. Managed to discuss this with the parents. Most of them have taken up GUe Fundamentals. Single Tank. Hoping to get a recreational pass. They probably don't have any interest in technical diving. More on improving their recreational diving skills considering each "team" is composed of their immediate family.

Your best option would be one of the fundamentals from GUE or UTD.
Yoy’ll develop exactly what you are looking for and if you are interested in just doing fundys you can rent the gear for the duration of the course and after that you’ll decide what to do.
I did GUE fundy and I loved it; In the meantime I kept going with my recreational buddies from another agency and I never had any issue.

I would vote for GUE; best bang for your diving dollar. You get lots of skills and nitrox.
Some have posted it's all about the instructor, and while I don't disagree with that, the training for GUE instructors is rigorous and has to be refreshed periodically, so you have a high chance of getting a great instructor.

I would vote for GUE; best bang for your diving dollar. You get lots of skills and nitrox.
Some have posted it's all about the instructor, and while I don't disagree with that, the training for GUE instructors is rigorous and has to be refreshed periodically, so you have a high chance of getting a great instructor.
yet people say agency doesn't matter. It can matter. It can matter a whole lot.

Back
Top Bottom