Wanna stay down longgerrr

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

not quite, my computer model, which I'll get too in a min, doesn't readily show OTU or CNS. During the dive after going through a couple of selections CNS comes up as %. It only shows OTU type info in plan mode, i assume Oxy tox unit(OTU) is more for planning, at least thats how the training books came across it.
MODEL:
Mares Nemo-RDBM deco model
The original one with nitrox and multi gas modes
@Capt. T. Goetz Sorry, which model is your Mares Nemo? Nemo Air? Nemo Sport? Nemo Excel? Nemo Wide? Is it from 2005, or later?

Hmm we times by 1.5, so 50% added.

HEY!!! Nothing wrong with 15l/m lol

15l/m would make me feel like I was hyperventilating hehehehehe

Hmm we times by 1.5, so 50% added.

The amount of reserve shouldn’t be based on percentage, but calculated to get you out of the s**t from the worst possible situation.

HEY!!! Nothing wrong with 15l/m lol

I agree, diving in the tropics I get around 9Lt/min, so far this year in temperate waters <13°C its 14Lt/min with a max of 19Lt/min.

I never plan a dive using SAC, as I always think I may have to work hard at some stage of the dive, instead I plan a return time based on remaining gas. I plan max deco and min deco. If you’re going to use SAC make it the worst possible SAC.

Well it has to be calculated somehow, we times by 1.5.
How do you do it?
Scenario One:
A dive to 25m with a bottom time of 30 minutes, a breathing rate of 15Lt/min I would require 1,888Lt. If there were an incident just as we were leaving the bottom the combined breathing rate could easterly be 45Lt/min. requiring a total of 2,352Lt. That’s an extra 25% gas required.

Scenario Two:
A dive to 45m with a bottom time of 28 minutes, a breathing rate of 15Lt/min I would require 2,665Lt. If there were an incident just as we were leaving the bottom the combined breathing rate could easterly be 45Lt/min. requiring a total of 4,235Lt. That’s an extra 65% gas required.

A single 12Lt 232bar will do scenario one, and twined 10Lt 232bar would do the second scenario.

In the first scenario a 50% reserve would be overkill, in the second 50% would not be enough.

These are calculated using BSAC 88 Tables.

Scenario One:
A dive to 25m with a bottom time of 30 minutes, a breathing rate of 15Lt/min I would require 1,888Lt. If there were an incident just as we were leaving the bottom the combined breathing rate could easterly be 45Lt/min. requiring a total of 2,352Lt. That’s an extra 25% gas required. A single 12Lt 232bar will do scenario one, and twined 10Lt 232bar would do the second scenario.

In the first scenario a 50% reserve would be overkill, in the second 50% would not be enough.

These are calculated using BSAC 88 Tables.

I use my Perdix dive planner sorry if that makes me lazy. I did BSAC back in 1986 so no BSAC 88 tables then. Can't recall what we used.

DECO 45M DIVE.jpg

I use my Perdix dive planner sorry if that makes me lazy.
The table or computer model used doesn’t really matter. I was demonstrating using an arbitrary percentage for reserve gas can be misleading and can lead to not having enough gas in an emergency.

Out of curiosity what depths and times would your 50 minutes of deco be spent, and would you have enough gas for yourself and a buddy breathing 1.5 times your consumption rate?

The table or computer model used doesn’t really matter. I was demonstrating using an arbitrary percentage for reserve gas can be misleading and can lead to not having enough gas in an emergency. Out of curiosity what depths and times would your 50 minutes of deco be spent, and would you have enough gas for yourself and a buddy breathing 1.5 times your consumption rate?

12l/m is 50% above my normal rate. Are we doing PYLE stops? Or just using my Perdix planner? First stop at 18m for 2 mins 15m for 3 mins 12m for 5 mins 9m for 5 mins 6m for 35 mins.
I always add more time at the first stops. but at 9m and 6m normal calculated time. I would use two Al100 with 200 bar. However I'm 60 now do don't really want to do such a deep deco dive and do say one dive a day. I'd rather do shallower recreational vacation diving . Less stress lol less planning and co do several dives a day.

How about Capt Goetz and his 65% CNS claim without exceeding NDL?

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom