Coldwater diver with some basic BM tec training, looking to enter world of SM, need BC advice

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I dive dry, with 2x HP100's with the Katana2 rig. I have my bungees rigged like this:
Works really well, the bungee setup makes donning the tanks much easier, especially with drygloves.
Are using a buttplate?

In would expect a bottom stage to show up before the second deco gas. Two deco gases for 45m is a bit an overkill.
Depends...

For example if you're pushing the bottom time to, say, an hour then you cannot get out of the water without one deco cylinder. As that's now vital, you need a backup. Hence diving with two deco cylinders; a backup should one fail (and you may as well have the right deco gas too -- 50% & 80%)

Hello all, I am a PNW diver with some basic tec training (Tec45) and am looking to enter the world of side mount. All my dives will be conducted in OW, nothing deeper than 45m, nothing with a physical overhead (cave, wreck, etc). My main reasons are to try and alleviate back pain from an old non-diving lifting injury and to just try out something new.

My current set up for tec is drysuit with twinset steel HP 100s with one or two AL40 deco bottles. I'm still working out if I like both deco bottles on one side (I know this is the "correct" way) or one on each (this is what my instructor taught me). I use an aluminum backplate and a 6lb v weight. My current rec set up is steel backplate w/ 8lbs of weight on my waist and an HP 117.

I've done some basic research and think I've narrowed it down to either the xDeep Tec BC or Hollis Katana 2, both single bladder and leaning more towards the Hollis as it's easier to purchase and service where I am. I am looking for a relatively straightforward SM set up without too much DIY. I don't need the BC to be multipurpose (able to do single BM, twin BM, and SM), just side mount. Are those two options a good fit for me?

My plan is to also unpair my twinset so I'll have a pair HP 100s with left and right hand valves and to just buy some different length hoses.

Can you guys weigh in on my "planned" setup? Is it more or less good to go or will I end up having a bad time? I am currently in the process of looking for a local sidemount course but so far that hasn't panned out. If there are any Seattle instructors teaching sidemount, please let me know!
I do sidemount with tanks up to 120cf. I use the Hollis 75. I dive wrecks not caves. I don’t do extended deco which would probably mean 80cf pony tanks. If I plan for some mild deco, I carry one 40cf with oxygen and another 40cf with the Nitrox mix for the first stop. Both pony tanks are hung in the left side as I was taught. Doing this off a boat is very uncoordinated-looking affair. Friends don’t take entry videos of friends.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom