New to SM -- looking for recommendations

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Sea_Jay

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
100 - 199
Hi all,

I am currently entertaining the idea of getting my sidemount certification, and I had a few questions for the experienced SM divers out there:

1.) How much of a difference does it make with back strain? I am 31 years old, 5"9" 135 lbs -- however I had a tumor removed from L3 about 15 years ago. While it doesn't hinder my current activities (including diving) I am somewhat apprehensive about strapping a twinset onto my back. I am always conscious of the weight that I load onto my back and HP100 (x2) just seems like a bad idea. With a single HP100 it takes some careful body control to "stand up" without straining myself.....I dive off of my own boat frequently so the idea of being helped over the gunnel is a turn-off to me.

2.) Is the extra cost worth it? I am looking at purchasing a SM-dedicated BCD (figure $1,000.00) in addition to a SM-oriented "pair" of regulators (figure $1,300.00) and this would be slinging two AL80s which I already own. I foresee myself purchasing HP100s almost immediately after the course (another $800.00) and then, if I have 200cf of 'back'gas on a single dive, I'm going to need a deco bottle (prob another $700.00 with regulator) ---- this is a huge cost and I am wondering if the tradeoff benefit is worth the extra expense.

3.) Have any of you gone this route and regretted it? Should I try my luck with BM twinset first? Am I overthinking it?

A little bit of background, if it makes a difference: I have been snorkeling since I could walk, I have been freediving for a decade & I have been SCUBA certified since 2017 (despite doing a number of dives with my family prior to certification.) I am currently Rescue Diver certified and working on my DM - and I work at a LDS. I have no plans to stop diving any time soon, and an IDC is in my near future (if the relationship with LDS continues as-is.) I am extremely comfortable in the water but at this time, I have no desire to pursue cave diving. I like wrecks but have only dabbled in actual penetration.

So for the veteran SM guys/gals....what say you? Run with it & see if its for me? Focus my finances and energy elsewhere? Open to all suggestions.

If it's your boat, I wouldn't even gear up.

Dump the whole unit overboard and put it on in the water. That's what we do at quarries with docks.

Still have to use the ladder to get out, and doff on land. But that's easier than gearing up.

Side mount you can jump in, and someone can drop your tanks to you. I'll drag your tanks back up, if you don't charge me for gas.

I have severe osteoarthritis in both knees. Diving SM makes a massive difference. I dive a backmount CCR but there are specific reasons for that. I tried BM doubles (HP80s) and my knees couldn’t take the weight.

If you only dive off your own boat, you will be able to clip off your tanks on a line, get yourself on the boat, then pull up your tanks.

I SM at quarries and inland lakes. I roll my tanks down to the water’s edge.

I SM LP50s a lot. I’m going to suggest getting your hands on a pair and trying those. They are a delight for OW recreational dives and so light to handle. You would need two pairs for two recreational dives, but they’re worth every penny (I also use them for CCR bailout). You will find them much easier to handle than the 100s. My big steels for open circuit cave diving are LP85s. Diving with the 50s is a huge, delightful difference.

If it's your boat, I wouldn't even gear up.

Dump the whole unit overboard and put it on in the water. That's what we do at quarries with docks.

Still have to use the ladder to get out, and doff on land. But that's easier than gearing up.

Side mount you can jump in, and someone can drop your tanks to you. I'll drag your tanks back up, if you don't charge me for gas.

This is what I currently do with my BCD & single tank --- set everything up, charge the tank, test the regs, then tie a tagline to one shoulder of the vest & toss overboard. I assume I can modify this process for SM with relative ease, but I can't see BM doubles being conducive to this style of entry.....but then again, I have never tried it & could be 200% wrong.

Strain on the back is one reason why I'm transitioning from single to SM and not to doubles. It's NOT just handling cilinders before and after the dive. But also loading the car to fill them up, loading the car to go to the dive site. I have zero appetite to handle twins. It's just too much stress on my body. FWIW, I purchased the xDeep Tec bcd and dive rite xt1/4 regs. Very happy with both.

How much of a difference does it make with back strain?
That depends on several factors. For example, you can use smaller tanks, or you can unclip tanks before climbing any ladder or stairs. If you're comparing to twin-BM, I'd say yes, it's definitely better because you can carry tanks to/from a dive-site one at a time.

Is the extra cost worth it?
That's a subjective question, and depends on what you wish to get out of it, and your budget.

I got into sidemount for significantly less money than your figures. However, I was fairly patient and grabbed a lot of stuff of the used market.

3.) Have any of you gone this route and regretted it?
No, Sidemount is great!

I work at a LDS
Does the shop, or anyone who works there have a twinset you could try?

Strain on the back is one reason why I'm transitioning from single to SM and not to doubles. It's NOT just handling cilinders before and after the dive. But also loading the car to fill them up, loading the car to go to the dive site. I have zero appetite to handle twins. It's just too much stress on my body. FWIW, I purchased the xDeep Tec bcd and dive rite xt1/4 regs. Very happy with both.

Yep! People without back/knee/ankle issues have no freaking clue how much easier SM tanks are to handle compared with doubles.

Get your back checked and do exercise so your mind doesn't keep you crippled the rest of your life
Big scuba tanks not firmly attached to your body in the heaving ocean in wrecks, what do you think

Hercules did not like lugging two tanks on his back either, but he sure as heck didn't go sidemount

Unless the ocean is calm and the weck is on it's side you know otherwise you WON'T FIT THROUGH

I'm in awe about people using inappropriate gear for the dive because it is easier to handle on land
so they think

Get your back checked and do exercise so your mind doesn't keep you crippled the rest of your life
Big scuba tanks not firmly attached to your body in the heaving ocean in wrecks, what do you think

Hercules did not like lugging two tanks on his back either, but he sure as heck didn't go sidemount

Happy/Hippy - sometimes exercise isn’t the answer.

I'll let you speak to my neurosurgeon.......

In the meantime, revel in the fact that you were blessed to have endured your life without debilitating conditions - or surgeries - or radiation therapy.

Your response warrants a much more severe rebuttal but I don't have the patience to craft something eloquent enough....if I spoke my mind I would likely be removed from SB. Have a nice day.

Back
Top Bottom