Having trouble with steel cylinder trim - New Xdeep stealth 2.0 Tec diver

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I didn't like this for my setup since it made it harder to differentiate between the tanks and the stage. I clip my stage to the drop-ds and I like to keep the separate and cross clipped to keep them snug. I'd rather have the valve a bit more front than accidentally clipping my stage to the wrong place.
Where do you clip your primary cylinders?

I clip my primaries to the D ring mounted like yours, and clip the stage on the drop ring. As I've said, for steels you need to move the leash lower on the tank, the boot will not affect how buoyant it is, you just need to get used to the valves riding a bit higher in your armpit. Since steel tanks have a different balance point.

On the picture you showed, the valves look like they're lower down your arm pit, you can freely move them forward.

The problem is it can be a bear to clip the stage and takes some fiddling to get the bungee the right length.

You can also try how people at protec do it with adjustable length bungee:

I did my stage course with them and during the course you get to try 3 different rigging methods, including the adjustable one, and its orders of magnitude more comfortable for picking up and dropping a stage.

(The little extra metal piece needed for that rigging can be purchased at piranha)

On the original image you didn't have a stage so I (apparently incorrectly) assumed you weren't using one at the moment.

For non-stage tank dives, I would clip to the rear drop D. I would still have a hip D slightly lower down, but leave it free.

For stage dives, I would clip the heavy steel to the hip D, then use the bungeed stage clipped to the drop. OR, you could attach both to the drop. up to you. With some practice you will get used to feeling for the longer stage bottle clip if you do this.

Either way you need something to pull that heavy steel back further, and without a bungeed stage pulling it up for you, you need to attach it to your drop D (in my opinion).

Any chance you could post a video (upload + unlist it on youtube and share the link/similar)

Little more context and a few more angles would be good.

I use back gas cylinders which are neutral or buoyant but I have used heavy in the past. If you twist the drop-D like I showed then the back gas always sits forward when horizontal. Rather than sitting on the back corner this also lets you run the bottom boltsnap higher on the tank which trims better.
The stage then gets clipped behind which is a wide open target with them twisted (can you tell I'm a fan?) and easy to reach.

My 2 bar

I use buttplate for smb, reel, etc. and drop-ds for steel cylinders. Works very well.
On left side I have custom drop-d with two slots and use that for deco tank.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom