Review Scubatron GBM Chest Mount nCCR

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Do you see yourself dropping the final galvanic at some point? Did you do any unit specific training?

Can a novice diver move straight into this Generic Breathing Machine?

Well, if you're interested in rebreathers, before you start :

- be sure your buoyancy is adequate : it's trickier to control it wit a rebreather because of the counter lungs
- how's your trim ? Depending on the unit, your trim will more or less influence the WOB
- standard gas in a rebreather is Nitrox. Are you qualified ?

Moreover, diving a rebreather implies very often a longer bottom time, so deco is not uncommon. Are you trained for that ?

Besides, although I don't have any thing bad (or good) to say about that rig, I'd avoid starting reb diving with it. What are its drawbacks, its advantages, its weaknesses, how's support in your country, what about training, etc... ? I'd investigate something less exotic.

Can a novice diver move straight into this Generic Breathing Machine?
You can start training. Whether you succeed depends on your experience and attitude. However, if you're in the UK, consider the local CCR market, e.g., Triton, JJ, rEvo. These units are made in Europe and have strong regional support. Diving a unit commonly available in your area has many advantages.

You can start training. Whether you succeed depends on your experience and attitude. However, if you're in the UK, consider the local CCR market, e.g., Triton, JJ, rEvo. These units are made in Europe and have strong regional support. Diving a unit commonly available in your area has many advantages.
None of the above rebreathers would be beneficial. I want something with minimum training, and as an add on to open circuit. I'm not certified at the moment, although I have long term plans to participate in technical diving. So my choices need to be accurate.

I want something with minimum training, and as an add on to open circuit. I'm not certified at the moment, although I have long term plans to participate in technical diving. So my choices need to be accurate.
What do you mean by "minimum training?"

I was thinking the chest mounted rebreathers could be as simple as open circuit training without the extra luggage of technical diving.
That's not entirely correct. You do not have to dive deep with a rebreather, but you still have to know a few things about advanced nitrox and decompression theory. Have you talked with any CC instructors yet? If not, that should be your next step.

That's not entirely correct. You do not have to dive deep with a rebreather, but you still have to know a few things about advanced nitrox and decompression theory. Have you talked with any CC instructors yet? If not, that should be your next step.
I have received a few option's on chest mounted rebreathers. Most of my future diving will be open circuit. Some are telling me you don't need one if I'm not diving deep.

I was thinking the chest mounted rebreathers could be as simple as open circuit training without the extra luggage of technical diving.
When it comes to rebreathers, “minimum training” is last thing one should seek for.

I highly recommend to do a intro to tech/ART type of course with an instructor who also teach rebreathers, while letting him know you want to go to CCR route.

Time, effort and money spend during this course will replace “no deco/air Diluent” CCR course and you can start your rebreather training from tech 1 (mixed gas deco) level.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom