First (and last) regulator

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Hi, I'm looking to buy my first regulator. I'm still a noob diver (I just completed my GUE fundies), but I'd like to progress to ice-tech-cave diving.

I know this thread has been more about which brands are easier for consumers to service, but sticking with the "first and last" theme, I thought I'd mention the NEX Monterey reg.

You can start with an unsealed first stage, then later add an environmental seal. You can also add a 5th port and then later add a turret.

I know some of these conversions are available with other regs, but NEX appears to focus on this capability.

I don't own one myself, and only have limited experience with the brand, but I thought I'd mention them.

See the attachments for more.

Attachments

• NEX_1.png
    NEX_1.png
    438.5 KB · Views: 45
  • NEX_2.png
    NEX_2.png
    222 KB · Views: 41
You can start with an unsealed first stage, then later add an environmental seal. You can also add a 5th port and then later add a turret.

I know some of these conversions are available with other regs, but NEX appears to focus on this capability.
Why would you want to pay extra for an environmental seal and a 5th port when so many regulators come with this standard? Also how stable is this company? If it goes belly-up then where will you get parts? For the cost of these regs. I think a person would be better off with ScubaPro or Apeks.

Why would you want to pay extra for an environmental seal and a 5th port when so many regulators come with this standard? Also how stable is this company? If it goes belly-up then where will you get parts? For the cost of these regs. I think a person would be better off with ScubaPro or Apeks.

I mentioned the NEX Monterey only to illustrate its modularity, a factor which helps satisfy the "first and last" criteria.

I'm not recommending for or against this specific reg. It does have a high price, as you say.

I know this thread has been more about which brands are easier for consumers to service, but sticking with the "first and last" theme, I thought I'd mention the NEX Monterey reg.

I don't own one myself, and only have limited experience with the brand, but I thought I'd mention them.

See the attachments for more.
technically most regulators are modular like that. You can buy different bottom turret configurations for several first stages, convert from din to yoke and vice versa, as well as get sealing kits for ones that come unsealed, but it's not terribly cost effective to do so.... There's no real reason that you would ever start with unsealed other than for cost, same with not having a 5th port or a turret. It's definitely in the "party trick" or "advertising" campaign than anything. You can buy no less than half a dozen different turret configurations for Apeks DST's, and converting unsealed to sealed and back is something talked about many times with those regulators. There are extremely few situations where a sealed swivel turret regulator isn't appropriate as a first stage and I think we have seen a lot of brands acknowledge that as shown by how few unsealed first stage diaphragms you can actually buy in 2024

technically most regulators are modular like that. You can buy different bottom turret configurations for several first stages, convert from din to yoke and vice versa, as well as get sealing kits for ones that come unsealed, but it's not terribly cost effective to do so....

The costs add up with modularity, for sure.

We'll have to disagree that most regs are modular. It seems that only some are, less than a majority I would think. I'm not talking about common DIN/yoke conversions though.

You can buy no less than half a dozen different turret configurations for Apeks DST's, and converting unsealed to sealed and back is something talked about many times with those regulators.

Interesting! As in, after-market options for turrets? I now see the Divesoft Technical Connection. I guess there are others.

The costs add up with modularity, for sure.

We'll have to disagree that most regs are modular. It seems that only some are, less than a majority I would think. I'm not talking about common DIN/yoke conversions though.

Interesting! As in, after-market options for turrets? I now see the Divesoft Technical Connection. I guess there are others.
If you look at what they are calling modular, din/yoke, sealed/unsealed, then most of them are definitely "modular" by that regard. This may be somewhat unique with the factory turret options, but it's like I said, it's more of a party trick than anything IMO.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom