First (and last) regulator

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

@LandonL

that assumes the EBITDA wasn't being distorted for some reason. @PEDiver maybe can chime in, but it seems suspiciously low to me, considering estimated sales for the group are in the 200 million range.
For those unfamiliar with EBITDA (Earnings before interest, taxes, depreciation, and amortization), the "Earnings" part is net income. While you can roughly estimate earnings from gross sales on an industry wide basis, it doesn't necessarily apply to any particular company within that industry.

Hard to say without any real financial data to dig into (esp. trended data over time to see how that ratio has changed). But I am going to go out on a limb and assume it has been trending in the wrong direction... and like @LandonL said, 13.6x is very high... but I do agree that without any substantial changes (like a buyout or capital injection) they would most likely go BK.

@PEDiver There is a fairly good bit of information in the Medium articles that Darcy published. The picture is grim. They have effectively liquidated revenue generating subsidiaries and sold off major assets like their headquarters and now exist in rented office space. The skeleton has been stripped, and now I think the debts significantly outweigh the entire value of the company.

I mean..... I may not know everything, but I do have an MBA and own a dive equipment manufacturing company, so generally have a good idea of what is going on :wink:

The Halcyon regulators are not the latest models from Scubapro. The Halcyon Halo is a G250 under the lid. The first stages are not the Evo line. This takes nothing away from Halcyon as the G250 is among the best second stages ever developed and arguably the most copied of which the G260 is just an updated G250 with Micro Adjust and a trimmer case housing the same full size diaphragm. The H50 is a Mark 17, not a Mark 17 Evo which has been dropped from the Scubapro line in favor of the Mark 19 Evo. The H75 is a Mark 25 sans the Evo treatment. I would feel completely fine using Halcyon regulators, they are hardly second rate. I have not shopped either line in a while but I think, last I checked, the brand H is less $ than the newer versions from Scubapro? For example, a quick check shows the G260 at $549 and the Halcyon Halo at $385. Which makes complete sense as it is the older legacy model G250 no longer sold under the Scubapro brand :(. The Halcyons are not copies or clones, they are rebranded and are the real deal.

I have a Mark 17 Evo and wish I had gotten the Mark 25 Evo. I like the fewer parts count, piston vs diaphragm, pick your poison, I prefer piston. The Mark 17 Evo has a few changes over the Mark 17 (and H50), port arrangement and some internal improvements to increase flow to 242 cfm at 200 Bar. The Mark 25 in any guise has a flow rate greater than 300 cfm. Either of which could support a team of divers and neither would be the weak link.

Not to nitpick James but it's a G250V but now with new sinful face plate.

I prefer the all black Dive Rite XT's from Dgx.

But who are we kidding? Reconfiguring regs is a pita. You'll be buying a single tank rig, and a separate doubles rig later on. Then a couple stage regs.

So make you first set yoke, and your doubles set Din.

The "do it all" threads are BS.

But who are we kidding?

Ourselves.

Any serious diver that thinks that they will only have 1 reg set (recreational) or 2 reg sets (technical) is deluding themselves, it might happen, but I've not seen it. It's as rare as having regs by only one manufacturer.

Get the reg you want to start, and work from there.

Ourselves.

Any serious diver that thinks that they will only have 1 reg set (recreational) or 2 reg sets (technical) is deluding themselves, it might happen, but I've not seen it. It's as rare as having regs by only one manufacturer.

Get the reg you want to start, and work from there.
I got an Atomic B2 when I started. It was so I would only ever have to have one reg set. Then another AA, then a Seac set off Craigsbook. Then a bunch of Scubapros and Scubapro firsts (including a couple MK11t) and a bunch of Apeks XL4s and some Halcyon MK17 knock-offs, and some Aura seconds and now some HOG stuff showing up... And I'm eyeing a couple of Hollis oxygen safe sets for deco bottles when I make the turn down that dark alley...

We know how it starts, but is there even an END?!?

I got an Atomic B2 when I started. It was so I would only ever have to have one reg set. Then another AA, then a Seac set off Craigsbook. Then a bunch of Scubapros and Scubapro firsts (including a couple MK11t) and a bunch of Apeks XL4s and some Halcyon MK17 knock-offs, and some Aura seconds and now some HOG stuff showing up...

I rest my case.

We know how it starts, but is there even an END?!?

Eventually we all die.

Back
Top Bottom