Wanna stay down longgerrr

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

i'm a resonably good breather.

I'm a good breather on the surface as well. I use less underwater and my heartbeat is in the 50's per minute. You may consider yourself good but against who? I just let people know I'm decent on air.

Tursiops wrote " Do not try and emulate Black Crusader's dives; he has strange physiology and uses very little gas."

Still gives me a good laugh reading that. I weigh around 300 pounds in my 6'1 frame. I cause tsunami's when I go off the boat. Sometimes those people that like to stand up when they should sit get thrown overboard when the boat tilts when I go off. It's always a good laugh when people complain they don't want to be my instabuddy on the first dive cause I will shorten the dive times. I get to watch people cringe after the dive and some people think my SPG must be faulty.

Tell us your RMV or SAC rate. You need to know this to plan your dives on time and reserves

Average Gas Consumption

These are the current OC tech standards for pretty much all agencies. Note that these settings only change the Shearwater warning levels not the CNS calculation.

Yes thanks. It's amazing when I see other people with Shearwaters who have not upgraded their firmware or changed their screen setup. They assume they are still in default settings then ask me where the things I show are in the menu lol. Same for other computers people buy them they have alarms on then don't even know what the alarms are for. When they hear an alarm they point to me. After the dive I have to tell them my computer does not have audio alarms as I didn't want a baby sitter. Understanding ones own computer is pretty important. I'd still like to see the dive log from the OP :)

I'm a good breather on the surface as well. I use less underwater and my heartbeat is in the 50's per minute. You may consider yourself good but against who? I just let people know I'm decent on air.

Tursiops wrote " Do not try and emulate Black Crusader's dives; he has strange physiology and uses very little gas."

Still gives me a good laugh reading that. I weigh around 300 pounds in my 6'1 frame. I cause tsunami's when I go off the boat. Sometimes those people that like to stand up when they should sit get thrown overboard when the boat tilts when I go off. It's always a good laugh when people complain they don't want to be my instabuddy on the first dive cause I will shorten the dive times. I get to watch people cringe after the dive and some people think my SPG must be faulty.

Tell us your RMV or SAC rate. You need to know this to plan your dives on time and reserves

Average Gas Consumption
Well the dive shop that certified me they "said" i was good but that doesn't mean anything, but on my first shallow dive,s after the first dive of two, i had 2300 left while other peps were on 1500. So i was able to do 2 dives on 1 tank while they required two. So naturally i called (past-tense) myself as they did a reasonably decent breather and not a hog... P.S. i can recall all this because i keep all my dive log books on "display" in my garage for sentimental value....
<TG>

That makes the most sense of anything in this thread so far. Looking at OTUs and reading them as CNS. You may have just cracked this thread. And it only took 11 pages.
not quite, my computer model, which I'll get too in a min, doesn't readily show OTU or CNS. During the dive after going through a couple of selections CNS comes up as %. It only shows OTU type info in plan mode, i assume Oxy tox unit(OTU) is more for planning, at least thats how the training books came across it.
MODEL:
Mares Nemo-RDBM deco model
The original one with nitrox and multi gas modes

will need to get a new one but too late now for x-mas lol, if you want to switch gears and tell me which one i should get or what tank setup (twins, sidemount, etc.) for deep dives please give me your knowledge
thx <TG>

Well the dive shop that certified me they "said" i was good but that doesn't mean anything, but on my first shallow dive,s after the first dive of two, i had 2300 left while other peps were on 1500. So i was able to do 2 dives on 1 tank while they required two. So naturally i called (past-tense) myself as they did a reasonably decent breather and not a hog... P.S. i can recall all this because i keep all my dive log books on "display" in my garage for sentimental value....
<TG>

Well does not mean much really as you could be doing 40 minute shallow depth dives to max depth 40 feet. :) Without dive logs and knowing what size tank and the start and ending pressures then what you finish with is irrelevant. Maybe you are on an AL120 :) After all you seemed in disbelief that I can dive to 150 feet on a single tank and finish a 70 minute dive with 870 PSI Again tank size and pressures were required to know my actual SAC rate.

I do not wear a watch so I am happy to use the Perdix as it has a nice sized digital screen which is easy to read especially in low visibility conditions, inside caves, wrecks, and night dives. Goes well with my digital SPG display.

PS would like to see the dive log you claim to get very high CNS readings. :)

Well does not mean much really as you could be doing 40 minute shallow depth dives to max depth 40 feet. :) Without dive logs and knowing what size tank and the start and ending pressures then what you finish with is irrelevant. Maybe you are on an AL120 :) After all you seemed in disbelief that I can dive to 150 feet on a single tank and finish a 70 minute dive with 870 PSI Again tank size and pressures were required to know my actual SAC rate.

I do not wear a watch so I am happy to use the Perdix as it has a nice sized digital screen which is easy to read especially in low visibility conditions, inside caves, wrecks, and night dives. Goes well with my digital SPG display.
i mentioned that i have the log right here, we all had single AL80s. I WAS amazed when they said they went down to 45m on OC but i misunderstood they used a single 100 or something which may be possible but where i dive it's basically unheard of using a single at that depth....<TG>

oh and 870psi is pushing it a little huh? what if something went wrong, yet again you probably have a pony bottle...

i mentioned that i have the log right here, we all had single AL80s. I WAS amazed when they said they went down to 45m on OC but i misunderstood they used a single 100 or something which may be possible but where i dive it's basically unheard of using a single at that depth....<TG>

oh and 870psi is pushing it a little huh? what if something went wrong, yet again you probably have a pony bottle...

LOL When I had completed my safety stop at 55 minutes I had around 1140 psi I just continued at the safety stop depth for another 15 minutes off gassing and taking photos.... so actually I could have completed the dive at any time and had more than a third of a tank in reserve or even finished with a half tank with a shorter dive time. I already wrote that about the 45m depth dive before when I posted a video when I had done the safety stop at 55 mins in this thread. So no, not pushing it at all. It was quite normal to use a single tank to those depths when I was trained. We used 120 steel tanks with 3350 psi. BSAC sports diving is 165 feet mod on air.

I don't understand your post that you were amazed they went to 45m on air. Who is they? Myself and the instructor who dove with me or others? Also how do you know that my dive buddy instructor did not bring an extra tank? If something catastrophic happened even at depth I can get myself to the surface without requiring a dive buddy for assistance.

So as you have the dive log where you claim to have really high CNS do us the courtesy of posting it as you wrote you are doing air dives and not exceeding NDL limits. So getting high CNS readings does not make sense to anyone.

If YOU don't KNOW your SAC you shouldn't be even thinking about doing deco dives.

He has twin tanks though :) I asked him about his SAC RMV rate before and he did not reply. Maybe he doesn't know? He just uses twin tanks lol. If I do a planned DECO dive I use my SAC rate and plus 25% added to it to plan for my reserve.

Capt T Goetz wrote "Gas used to be a problem but now i just use a twinset or a single steel 133."

This suggests to me his SAC rate is maybe 15l/m or more. But that is a wild guess. He has offset his problem by using bigger tanks and now wants to go deeper for longer. What could possible go wrong when he hasn't done deco training? He isn't going to be doing those 170 feet dives on nitrox 32

Back
Top Bottom