Recreational Scuba Deco Diving

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

or just to get reasonable bottom time on a second dive
I've got a solution to that: Ditch BSAC-88, USN, NDBT or any other table using the slowest compartments and switch to one with a faster slowest compartment. Like the PADI RDP (d&r)

Once computers turned up the fact that the dive was to 37m and not 39, and only at 37 for a short time and averaging 34 could be taken advantage of to reduce deco time.
Is this what you wanted to say? it doesn't make a lot of sense.

From the latest posts of @Gareth J and @KenGordon I see that the situation in UK is very similar to Italy, and, I suppose, to France, Spain, Greece, Croatia, and possibly the rest of Europe.
Here these light-deco dives, breathing plain air, are normal in a fully recreational context, and are taught since the first-level course.
As said, it is not a small niche, it is the standard way of diving here.
The small niche is tech diving with accelerated deco (in pure oxygen or high-Nitrox), and perhaps trimix.
This requires additional training and difficult-to-find logistics for getting these special mixtures.

I think there is also a factor in how you learn to dive. The British like clubs, Football (not American Football :oops: or Aussie Rules :poke:, but proper Football), Rugby, Cricket, Bowls, Polo etc. The majority of diver training in the UK is club based. For those that learn on holiday or through a commercial school, they then tend to join a club to continue diving. Because of this, the structure is to enable diving. So qualifications include decompression diving. Within in my club we can teach most technical courses, personally, although qualified to teach Trimix OC, I wouldn't these days because I don't personally do OC Trimix diving and I feel to teach it you should be doing it.
A lot of branches have boats (mine doesn't - we charter), and teach all the related skills, Boat handler, Coxswain, Navigation etc.
The UK is a relatively small island, with a history of empire and trade, we have a lot of wrecks around a hazardous coastline. Also a few conflicts along the way, we have had a formal Naval force since the 16 century.
So if they didn't run into something by accident, sink in a storm, we probably put a hole in them and sunk them, or someone sunk us. Great if you are into your wreck diving!

A friend of mine recently had his reg start breathing water. He had no octo and was alone. Made a quick trip up from 140.

@BRT,

My own personal rule for my own solo diving, is to dive a fully redundant air supply whenever I can no longer consider the surface as my back-up air supply. So, for my non-decompression, recreational, solo dives without full redundancy, I keep my max depth relatively shallow (and keep my exposures well away from NDL). There would be no need for a "quick trip" from these relatively shallow depths. For these dives I do not use an octopus, though I sometimes use a Y-valve and two complete regulators.

For my non-decompression, recreational, solo dives that are planned to be to moderate or deeper depths, I dive with a fully redundant air supply (and keep my exposures well away from NDL). For these dives I do not use an octopus, either (since I will have a complete second independent regulator).

For my planned RSDD-type dives, the subject of this thread, I dive air-filled, back-mounted, independent doubles (as mentioned above, somewhere), using a plan that allows me to return from the farthest point in the dive breathing on only one cylinder if necessary.

One more thing: For many of us here, our open water certification training involved learning to breathe from a "wet" snorkel (like you likely would experience when snorkeling in heavy seas) and a "wet" regulator (like you likely would experience if you breathe many single hose 2nd stage regs upside down). Depending, breathing from a "wet" regulator can be no more than a mere annoyance as you slowly ascend from a non-decompression, recreational, solo dive, from a relatively shallow depth.

rx7diver

Is this what you wanted to say? it doesn't make a lot of sense.
Yes. The numbers are example. Tables round depth and time and are square profiles. Computers measure. Plans tend to be square though.

Back
Top Bottom