Info Two New Dive Computers from Scubapro for 23! LUNA 2.0 (with & without Air Integration with GF) with aggressive pricing

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

If it works well, is reliable, and is priced as @BoltSnap said, props to ScubaPro.

I am a big fan of AI. At the expected price, I would have a hard time recommending a Peregrine over the AI version of this to most recreational divers. For the few that proceed on to technical diving, this SP seems like a reasonable option to start with and then relegate to "backup" duty when they actually are ready to start tech training and need to have 2 computers (where I would recommend them to buy a Shearwater). Having Buhlmann + GF and support for 3 gases makes it viable for use as a backup in entry level tech diving.

Only a small percentage of divers ever get certified for technical diving. An even smaller percentage go on to certification in mixed gases (i.e. trimix). For those that do, replacing their backup computer with something trimix-capable (i.e. another Shearwater) is a very small drop in their bucket of funding.

All that said, it remains to be seen how well it actually WORKS, what the actual price is, how reliable it is, and how good ScubaPro customer service is at handling problems. And those last 2 are things that can only be demonstrated over time. I would tell any potential customer of this computer that they should consider waiting until it has been on the market for at least a year before buying one, in order to have some idea of its reliability and what quality of customer service stands behind it.

Does anyone have an update on the release date for this computer? I'm planning on buying a new dive computer this year. Despite the probable limitations compared to Shearwater offerings noted in this thread, the potential price point of this package demands serious consideration.

Does anyone have an update on the release date for this computer? I'm planning on buying a new dive computer this year. Despite the probable limitations compared to Shearwater offerings noted in this thread, the potential price point of this package demands serious consideration.
Rumor has it, not until summer, You could contact Scubapro

I received this quick reply from Scubapro. I followed up by asking if there was a user's manual, we'll see:

They are available for order via any Authorized SCUBAPRO Dealer. They are currently on backorder.

Cordially,
Dan

Daniel R. Knauss
Tech Service Dept.
Johnson Outdoors Diving LLC – SCUBAPRO®

$579 for the AI version is very aggressive pricing. Will sell IMO well at that price. Dealer price must be about half of that. Getting really cheap to manufacture!

SP Luna2.JPG

I agree. What's with the dot matrix?
It is relatively inexpensive and runs on a CR2450 battery good for 300 dives rather than using a rechargeable Li battery.

There are slim pickings for an air integrated computer running Buhlmann with GF. The Shearwater Teric and Perdix 2, the Garmin MK2i, Suunto Eon Steel, Mares Genius all run about $1500 or more (sorry, left off the Apeks DSX and Ratio computers). It looks like the Scubapro Luna 2.0 will go for about $935 with transmitter. The major drawback for the Luna 2.0 is the proprietary transmitter, incompatible with a later Shearwater upgrade. The same could be said for Garmin, Suunto, and Mares.

If I were to buy an inexpensive AI computer today, I would strongly consider the Oceanic Geo Air. It runs DSAT (around a GF high of 95) and PZ+ (around a GF high of 85). It uses a PPS (MH8A compatible) transmitter that could later be used with a Shearwater computer. The computer and transmitter go for $800.

I received this quick reply from Scubapro. I followed up by asking if there was a user's manual, we'll see:

They are available for order via any Authorized SCUBAPRO Dealer. They are currently on backorder.

Cordially,
Dan

Daniel R. Knauss
Tech Service Dept.
Johnson Outdoors Diving LLC – SCUBAPRO®
Regarding my query about an owner's manual, I received this reply. Scubapro was very responsive to my emails:

It has not been posted yet since they have technically not been released, but are available for order. It should post soon though.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom