Info Two New Dive Computers from Scubapro for 23! LUNA 2.0 (with & without Air Integration with GF) with aggressive pricing

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

It's an alphabet soup that would make the diversityists happy!

Give us a clue: what's ADT, what's MB? Better still what "problem" does it solve?

Not having a go at you @scubadada, just wondering why these companies seem to love playing around with algorithms that just work. Buhlmann+GF would be fine.

@Wibble et al.

I was going to respond but I remembered how you were dissecting and tossing around the MacIntrash dive computer watch and decided not to respond. I'll just let you get it out of your system and argue about something you don't know about and can only speculate. You are so much more adorable and much more fun that way

:p

It's an alphabet soup that would make the diversityists happy!

Give us a clue: what's ADT, what's MB? Better still what "problem" does it solve?

Not having a go at you @scubadada, just wondering why these companies seem to love playing around with algorithms that just work. Buhlmann+GF would be fine.
I didn't think you were having a go at me :). I'm particularly interested in dive computers and have generally kept up with developments, especially with regard to the many decompression algorithms that are available. As you may have noticed, I often post with the goal of helping others more fully understand this topic. I have always thought it important to understand when making the choice for acquiring and/or diving a computer.

I have never been a fan of Uwatec/Scubapro's proprietary use of Buhlmann ZH-L8 or 16 ADT MB. There is a short section regarding the 8 compartment model on pp 42-3 of Powell's Deco for Divers. ADT is adaptive, MB is microbubble. The algorithm is said to take temperature and work of breathing into account, as well as microbubble formation. PDIS is profile determined intermediate stops, a component of this algorithm. As you can imagine, these factors all make the native algorithm more conservative. This algorithm is poorly described by Scubapro, with many details left secret.

The fact that Scubapro and other brands are moving to Buhlmann ZH-L16C with GF is very telling. Even Suunto offers this on their Eon Steel.

Scubapro is coming out with two new dive computers in 22/23 Winter. One version is Air Integrated and one isn't AI. Both come with a choice of 2 algorithms: Predictive Multi-Gas Bühlmann ZH-L16 ADT MB PMG, or ZH-L16 + GF (Gradient Factor).

Reading the information sheet for these computers, one sees very clearly that they will be direct competitors for the Shearwater Peregine dive computer with added features (especially the AI feature) at competitive pricing compared with the Peregine.

LUNA 2.0 without AI:
The NEW SCUBAPRO Luna 2.0 is a sleek, intuitive all-purpose dive computer loaded with easy-to-use features. Designed to be one of the thinnest dive computers, the Luna 2.0 offers an oil-filled thermoplastic housing for reliable performance and comfort. Its large modern widescreen features a high contrast black/white LCD display and large characters for easy reading at depth. A simple two-button interface lets you navigate the system with ease, aided by clearly marked screen prompts. You get a choice of ADT and GF algorithms, plus 100% nitrox compatibility and three selectable gasses for open circuit diving. Three dive modes are available – Scuba, Apnea and Gauge, along with selectable PDIS and six Microbubble levels.
  • Easy-to-use design.
  • Oil-filled thermoplastic housing is super thin and sits comfortably on the arm.
  • Wide, high-contrast black and white LCD display screen and large characters for easy reading at depth.
  • Intuitive menu and two button controls make it easy to navigate through the system.
  • Choice of 2 algorithms: Predictive Multi-Gas Bühlmann ZH-L16 ADT MB PMG, or ZH-L16 + GF (Gradient Factor).
  • Nitrox compatible (100%) with 3 selectable gasses.
  • PDIS (Profile Dependent Intermediate Stops) calculates an intermediate stop based on N2 loading, current and previous dives, and breathing mixes for safer diving.
  • Six Microbubble levels (L0-L5) let you personalise and adjust the level of conservatism in the ADT algorithm to match your experience level, age and physical conditioning.
  • 3 Dive modes: Scuba, Gauge, and Apnea.
  • NEW soft silicone arm strap is comfortable against your wrist
  • Durable silicone housing case cover & pre-installed screen protector
  • Max Operating Depth: 394ft/120m.
  • Bluetooth Low Energy interface lets you download dives to any iOS or Android device or PC/Mac.
  • Firmware can be user-updated by going to scubapro.eu or the SCUBAPRO LogTRAK 2.0 app.
  • CR2450 battery is user-changeable and rated for up to two years/300 dives.
  • Bungee mounts on the corners of the housing allow for alternate securing methods.
View attachment 746646

View attachment 746647

LUNA 2.0 AIR INTEGRATED:
The NEW SCUBAPRO Luna 2.0 AI is a sleek, intuitive air-integrated dive computer loaded with easy-to-use features. Its wireless air integration feature enables you to monitor tank pressure easily, plus provides true remaining bottom time (RBT) and allows your air consumption to be factored into the decompression calculation.

Designed to be one of the thinnest dive computers, the Luna 2.0 AI offers an oil-filled plastic housing for reliable performance and comfort. Its large modern widescreen features a high contrast black/white LCD display and large characters for easy reading at depth. A simple two-button interface lets you navigate the system with ease, aided
by clearly marked screen prompts. You get a choice of ADT and GF algorithms, plus 100% nitrox compatibility and three selectable gasses for open circuit diving. Three dive modes are available – Scuba, Apnea and Gauge, along with selectable PDIS and six Microbubble levels. The Luna 2.0 AI also offers an optional integrated heart rate monitor that lets you visually track your heart rate and skin temperature to ensure you stay in your individual target zone to maximise fun and safety at depth.
PLUS
  • Air-integration monitors tank pressure and provides true remaining bottom time (RBT) calculations based on the workload from breathing.
  • Optional heart rate monitor records heartbeat and skin temperature that can be factored into the decompression calculation along with workload.
View attachment 746648

View attachment 746649

Table showing feature and specifications comparison between Scubapro's current high end dive computers:

View attachment 746705

Regulators-scubapro
Computer-Shearwater/garmin
Bcd-anyone can make a steel plate.
Wetsuit-henderson/bare

My opinions

So fine for the 95% of the market targeted... Remember their catch phrase of "deep down you want the very best".... Design by marketing by marketers, not serious divers. Will sell well for the masses (uncommitted recreational check box participants) and not adopted by the serious ...

I still think Apple hit the mark with a "need bases add-on for the "wanna be" cool folks....

After that, it is SW.....

Just wish Deep6 would get the new firmware to market....

So fine for the 95% of the market targeted... Remember their catch phrase of "deep down you want the very best".... Design by marketing by marketers, not serious divers. Will sell well for the masses (uncommitted recreational check box participants) and not adopted by the serious ...

They are targeting the majority of the market out there, what's wrong with that? They have different computers for different levels of divers out there. What is unique about these two computers is that they are very competitively priced for their intended market with more features that the similarly priced DC's from the known brands. Where can you find GF and AI, etc. at this price point offered by a big brand name?

Now for the serious divers bit, you are looking at it from an "affluent" North American/Western person not from the perspective of the greater majority of diver population around the world. In addition to "price" and "features," must also note that these two computers are backed by "Scubapro" a most recognized and respected name in the dive business around the world with global support and best financial stability backed by a HUGE well financed holding company with a very long tradition of stability and longevity. Perhaps this doesn't make sense to you or may not have great value to you in the US, in the rest of the world and for the "working man" who loves diving and wants to go diving and wants better dive computer with more features like the high end ones he has been drooling over for a long time but can't afford it, this is his answer. It may not have the fancy screen but it won't matter to him much as long as the screen has readable clear unclutters display, he is satisfied and happy.

I know that in my part of the world, the majority of the market, this is an awesome deal (as long as the real box lives up to its promise in reliability and performance).

P.S. In my part of the f'ed up world, MANY divers are making serious deco dives to 60m using air and using the Suunto Zoop DC and they survive.

I’ll put their regs against any reg in the business though. So it is the best, no one can argue they are worse than any other reg on the market. Your comment reads like your speaking of mares or some ****.

Also, if you were a dive company, would you market to the masses? Or market to niche tec divers using rebreathers? Pretty simple numbers game. Serious tec divers have their options already. Scubapro is trying to get rec/vacation divers to get AI at a cheaper price point. Which I value. Will I wait a few years before I get a scubapro computer? Yes. I’ll stick to shearwater but the point remains

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom