TSA ban on SCUBA tanks

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

mempilot:
Line 2 here refers to intact tanks, not disassembled tanks.
I don't see it stating that. Following that logic it should be OK to import a disassembled bomb too?

mempilot:
Individual airline policy will dictate whether you can check a disassembled tank.
It was my understanding that TSA rules are mandatory (at least in the USA).

crispos:
2) If they refuse to allow me to check the tank in. I bring a friend who drives it back home, right?
Of course you will also need to bring a friend to the airport for the return flight. And if he ends up shipping it to you it will take a while before you'll see your tank again.

ScubaRon:
I don't see it stating that. Following that logic it should be OK to import a disassembled bomb too?

It was my understanding that TSA rules are mandatory (at least in the USA).
Here, I'll highlight it for you. A dissassembled tank is not holding compressed gas, and you are not carrying it on. TSA rules are mandatory, but there rules here have to do with a cylinder containing compressed gas, not a disassembled one.

Transporting Scuba Equipment

Some scuba gear can be transported on-board the aircraft. Please refer to the guidelines below:

* Regulators, Buoyancy Compensators and mask, snorkel and fins are all acceptable as checked or carry-on baggage.
* Dive tanks or any compressed gas cylinders are prohibited from carry-on and checked luggage.
* Knives and tools are prohibited from carry-on luggage. These items should be packed in checked luggage. Any sharp objects packed in checked luggage should be sheathed or securely wrapped to prevent injury to baggage handlers and security screeners.
* Spear guns are prohibited from carry-on luggage. These items should be packed in checked luggage

ScubaRon:

While I agree that the sentenance is ambiguios, your analogy is completly flawed. An empty scuba tank with a removed valve is completly incapable of an explosion. A bomb on the other hand still has explosive material.

You can't take a disassembled cylinder through a security checkpoint. You can check a disassembled cylinder depending on your airlines's policy.

mempilot:
You can't take a disassembled cylinder through a security checkpoint. You can check a disassembled cylinder depending on your airlines's policy.
And how would I check it without going through security?

mempilot:
TSA rules are mandatory, but there rules here have to do with a cylinder containing compressed gas, not a disassembled one.
That is incorrect and the whole reason why I started the discussion with TSA, DEMA etc. The rules apply to any scuba tank, regardless of whether it contains compressed gas or not.
It makes no sense, but that's the rule.

ScubaRon:
And how would I check it without going through security?
Do you even fly? Are you not familiar with the difference between carry-on screening security and checked luggage screening? I'm talking about carry-on vs checked Ron and you know that. You just want to argue. OK, I'll explain.

Car drops you off at the curb. You enter the airport. You walk up to the the ticket counter. You check in and check your disassembled cylinder. It gets carried to the back and is screened for bomb residue and anything else suspicious.

Now you get in line at the security checkpoint for your terminal. You put your carry-on bags on the belt. They screen it for contraband. You take it to your airplane.

You have access to your carry-ons, not your checked baggage.

You know this though.

ScubaRon:
That is incorrect and the whole reason why I started the discussion with TSA, DEMA etc. The rules apply to any scuba tank, regardless of whether it contains compressed gas or not.
It makes no sense, but that's the rule.
Show me a document that states what you are saying. I'm giving you my experience, since I get NOPIC forms in the cockpit everyday listing HAZMAT cargo in the bays. I just sat through security and HAZMAT recurrent training last month. So unless you can show me a document which states a disassembled tank is not allowed, I think you are misguided or confused with terminology. Don't tell them the cylinder is for scuba. Do you think it matters? No. It's just a hulk of metal with no enclosed space. BTW, we can't carry tires on their rims anymore either because they can contain compressed gas. Take the tire off the rim, and guess what? Yep.

Mem-

I think you and ScubaRon are reading a sentance and interpreting it two different ways. The sentance says scuba tanks can not be checked. You are interpreting it as meaning compressed tanks, and he is interpreting it as saying no tanks, period, end of story.

I am interpreting it as ambiguiosly worded and could lead to unpredictable results by the people doing the screening of your checked luggage.

Also, I'm sure you won't attack me for my lack of airport knowledge considering my background...

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom