TSA ban on SCUBA tanks

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Wow. This thread is almost as old as the one I accidentally revived.

Pease note the date, Krusty. This thread is over a year old. And you should never touch old unexploded ordinance, such as threads like this......

Well here is my .02 16 days ago we departed Ft. Lauderdale international Airport Heading to Costa Rica i took along a 6cf pony for my other half aswell as my 13cf pony Valves off one Tsa inspector asked about them while they were in the x-ray when removed from my bags them did a interior visual check and they allowed them to pass Same went with the return Flight from Costa Rica they checked them and passed the right away

now the funny part our Regs they asked me to turn on the computers i had no problem with that but i did explain to them that they went thru a internal self check counting down 9-8-7 etc as i turned the first on a couple of the Tsa guys started backing up i couldnt help but Laugh inside

I know this link is old.. The thread that lives! I'm on the fence to bring spare air or my 19 cf pony with me to bonaire. I've brought my spare air before there with no problem (before had owned a 19 cf pony) Now that own a Pony, would like to bring instead of spare air but I'm concerned of extra weight. Only limited to 50 lbs on Contintental per bag so I'm concerned of extra weight of pony and extra reg.. I could probably divide the gear among two bags.

I found the updated TSA link for tanks so I'm not concerned about bringing either on plane
TSA: Compressed Gas Cylinders

I did read recommondation to have a protective plastic cap for cylinder threads. (will see if LDS has any spare can give me)

What this thread didn't answer and what was looking for was.. Will pony require an inspection by dive shop in bonaire because tank will be empty. Also, re: filling. Will dive operators down there appreciate filling pony's? Will I need to bring my whip to fill from the rental tanks I get down there?

I'm not planning to use it to extend bottom time so will only really need it filled once.

ideas?

Depends on how anal they are. Technically, they should be inspected as they were emptied. I have found that when I tell them I emptied them to bring down with me they are usually fine with it.

logic would be if the pony has a current vip sticker there ought not be a problem with fill station down south also hydro must be ok also on the other hand that might be too much common sense........

Try carrying on a video camera and housing. The looks alone are priceless. They were just chompin at the bit to x-ray and bomb test that baby.

I think my camera is slightly radioactive now. :wink:

They didn't really hassle me though.

They usually do a swab test on mine... and have found "explosive residue" inside the housing on two separate occasions.

What happened then, Dr. Bill? Confiscated housing?

The solution is to "take their law away" and have congress come up with something that may actually work at a reasonable price.

:rofl3:

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom