After Red Sea, negative experience at Cairo International Airport

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Live and learn! I hope detailing my experience helps make other visitors to Egypt a little smarter.

I don't think there is anything you can do other than follow the printed rules. If they make up rules as they go along, there's not much to be done. I'm somewhat comforted this wasn't blatant theft in this instance.

We traveled EgyptAir from Hurghada through Cairo last week at the end of our Red Sea liveaboard trip. In my backpack I carry a Gopro camera with video lights, several dive computers 2 regulator sets, a tank fill whip, 360 degree tank lights for night diving, several dive torches, charging packs for phones, a laptop with charger, and chargers for dive lights and the camera. The backpack is heavy and fully loaded.

The security screening was the most thorough I've ever experienced. The screener took literally everything out of the bag, and took batteries out of dive lights. He inspected each light, showed special interest in the 360 degree tank lights which I turned on for him.

He stated that batteries must be removed from all devices but only removed the battery from one of the 3 dive torches, he didn't mention it again as he inspected my camera including my video lights.

He was polite, respectful and apologetic about the process, nothing was denied and there was no suggestion to check any of the items.

People have been told that the reg is a weapon..I don't know why people carry them on anyway; they are almost indestructible, and are easily packed securely in checked baggage.

Checked luggage may get lost, misdirected, or smaller expensive items can be stolen. I don't want a dive trip ruined because my gear didn't make it with me and I'm rather attached to it. I've got my AI transmitters on my 1st stage between my two reg sets and my wife that's almost $600 right there. I'd never be under the weight requirements if I packed all the stuff I mentioned above in my checked bags, I'd incur heavy international baggage fees. Thankfully my heavy backpack (probably close to 40 lbs) has never been subject to weighing at check in. And who wants to go to the trouble of replacing gear that doesn't need to ever be out of your sight in the first place?

The only thing that gets checked is my BCD, wetsuit and fins, and believe me I've considered wearing them onto the plane. But the fins could be problematic when they use the steps rather than a jetway and the BCD may confuse a security agent into thinking I'm a suicide bomber.

Do you carry your regulators in carry-on with hose attached? And does security allow it considering that you could knock on the pilots cockpit door at 30,000ft and strangle the pilot with it when he opens it to check who’s knocking?

does the Philippines still require regs to be checked too? if so, we may need to start a list of countries with dumb rules about carrying on regulators

Slightly off topic, but I had line removed from a fishing reel in SYDNEY because "it could be used to garrote someone". In the meanwhile, they were letting people through with guitars that had steel strings. You can't apply logic to airport security sometimes.

Do you carry your regulators in carry-on with hose attached?

I carry on the complete regulator set with hoses. Never a problem but they will almost always be subject to a "bag pull" and additional screening.

does the Philippines still require regs to be checked too?

We flew through the Phillippines on the way to Truk last year and we carried on all the gear I mentioned in an earlier post including regs.

a diver paying a bit at security in egypt ?
Just 1 - 5 $.You should have $1 singles ready in your pocket.

Just 1 - 5 $.You should have $1 singles ready in your pocket.
this is first hand experience? i m living in the middle east and as you said bribing is a big no no where i live

Wen flew Egypt Air London- Sharm return in August with a 3 day stop off in Cairo on the way out and return home via Cairo
i had reg with transmitters in Hand luggage on all flights with no problems.

I was expecting difficulties in Sharm after hearing horror stories regarding the security checks before and after check in, but the journey was surprisingly uneventful. I had no queries about the regs or non-diving camera equipment. Rest of diving gear was in my checked bags

The only issues were the mandatory wait until 2 hours before check in at Sharm, and the overpriced meals once we crossed airside . We arrived 3 hours before the flight home and had to hang around for an extra hour before check in.

It was an otherwise pleasant experience on the flights .

The weather on landing in London was a different matter though!

People have been told that the reg is a weapon, like a bolo. you can swing it around and hurt people.
I don't know why people carry them on anyway; they are almost indestructible, and are easily packed securely in checked baggage.
We carry our to lighten the bags weight.

Back
Top Bottom