After Red Sea, negative experience at Cairo International Airport

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

this is first hand experience? i m living in the middle east and as you said bribing is a big no no where i live

That's not a "bribe," it is "bakshish."

My first international dive trip was to Coz. I had packed all of my dive gear in my checked bag both going and coming home. When I got home, my reg set was missing, having been removed somewhere between Coz and home. Ever since, we always pack our reg sets, dive computers, and prescription masks in our carry ons and have had no problems at security.

But then, we've not been to Egypt, either.

ok but did you try / witness it first hand?
What difference does it make to you? Everyone gives a little bakshish to get things moving in Egypt.

It may be just a coincidence, but I am not surprised after the recent attacks involving pagers that Egyptian airport screening personnel were taking a second look at anything with batteries.

I flew through Cairo 2 years ago with a group and had pretty much the same experience with security. We had to hang out for a while at Burger King outside security to wait for them to let us through, then just me and one other diver in the group got told to move our regulators to checked bags out of our carry-ons.

What difference does it make to you? Everyone gives a little bakshish to get things moving in Egypt.
well i want to know for when i will go visit egypt > is it real or should i avoid doing it

On one of our trips to egypt, in the Sharm airport, the security screening guy asked to be gifted a memory card. It was handed over fearing what could happen. When the airline representative heard about it, he went over and demanded that the security guy return the card, saying that corruption was not acceptable in Egypt. In our case it was just one individual on one trip, not a systemic issue.

In Sharm, Hurghada or Marsa Alam airports most of the security staff can easily recognize diving gear, so even if you happen to find the odd person who doesn't there's always going to be a colleague/superior to sort things out. In Cairo things are vastly different and the odds of finding a fellow who believes a regulator set can be a fancy weapon are not to be underestimated.
This being said, the real risk of taking borderline stuff (like li-po batteries of larger mAh rating etc) in the backpack is to see them denied at the second security check, after passport control. The odds to see the fellow pull some piece of paper saying anything that is detachable and over 2000mAh is not allowed onboard of the plane aren't exactly zero.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom