TSA ban on SCUBA tanks

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

wmspdi

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
50 - 99
I know pony tanks and Spare Airs are a sore subject on these boards, but I thought I might pass this on for those who do like them. I spoke with the TSA (Transportation Security Agency -- AKA the Federal Airport Security screeners) in Washington, DC. I wanted a clearification regarding their ban on SCUBA tanks (per the TSA website). I was informed that we are no longer permitted to travel on any commercial aircraft with any type of compressed gas cyl, regardless of size... even if the valve has been removed, and the interior is available for inspection. This ruling includes ponies and Spare Air units in carry-on and checked bags. In a word they are now airline "contraband" and may be confiscated. This may render the issue of ponies for the traveling diver a moot point.

Wow... it would be kind of ironic if it's the government responsible for effectively forcing safer recreational dive practices. Now, if we can just get them to say that split fins are banned as a weapon of mass coral destruction, and that in order to get through the X-Ray machine, you need a long hose, we'd be getting somewhere! :D

(Chill out folks - yes I'm kidding.)

Hmmm .... i wonder how the guy in front of me with a pony in his carry on got through last week then? I was a bit surprised they let him through with it, new rule or not.

gedunk:
Hmmm .... i wonder how the guy in front of me with a pony in his carry on got through last week then? I was a bit surprised they let him through with it, new rule or not.

As a law enforcement officer in Ohio it can say from experience that it is not uncommon to find "officer discression" in the field. Sometimes common sense wins out over policy. This usually lasts until the officer is burned by a supervisor for letting something slide that should heve been enforced. I expect that as supervisors step in, there will be less leeway for the screeners. I for one am not going to take the chance on losing $100+ tank. I do dive with a 19 ft3 pony when on a Caribbean vacation because I:

1- can't transport doubles or any other tanks with me on the plane
2- have no control over who I may be buddied with (I've had problems in the past with "pick-up buddies", and sometimes DMs pair me with new divers).
3- many of the resorts I dive at (on family vacations) will not provide doubles
(Sandels, Couples, Superclubs...) and a pony on an 80' dive is better than nothing. The lesser of the evils have now been removed as an option.

roakey:
I just looked this up a couple days ago:

http://www.tsa.gov/public/display?content=09000519800683a5

I'm going to print this out since I've heard of people getting hassled about carrying on regulators, and it clearly says you can carry them on, on this page.

Roak

Try carrying on a video camera and housing. The looks alone are priceless. They were just chompin at the bit to x-ray and bomb test that baby.

I think my camera is slightly radioactive now. :wink:

They didn't really hassle me though.

roakey:
I just looked this up a couple days ago:

http://www.tsa.gov/public/display?content=09000519800683a5

I'm going to print this out since I've heard of people getting hassled about carrying on regulators, and it clearly says you can carry them on, on this page.

Roak

From the TSA web site listed above:

Transporting Scuba Equipment

Some scuba gear can be transported on-board the aircraft. Please refer to the guidelines below:

* Regulators, Buoyancy Compensators and mask, snorkel and fins are all acceptable as checked or carry-on baggage.
* Dive tanks or any compressed gas cylinders are prohibited from carry-on and checked luggage.
* Knives and tools are prohibited from carry-on luggage. These items should be packed in checked luggage. Any sharp objects packed in checked luggage should be sheathed or securely wrapped to prevent injury to baggage handlers and security screeners.
* Spear guns are prohibited from carry-on luggage. These items should be packed in checked luggage

gedunk:
Try carrying on a video camera and housing. The looks alone are priceless. They were just chompin at the bit to x-ray and bomb test that baby.
One better: I carry on my cave light, so you've got this ominous gray cylinder with screw on end caps with a cord coming out of it to this machined metal cylinder. Usually draws quite a TSA crowd. I always stand outside the ropes to tell them that it’s a dive light and talk them through their inspection. Despite my telling them that I’ll describe how to turn it on (I always travel with the battery disconnected) no one has taken me up on the offer. We’ll see what happens next month when I fly to Florida cave country…

Roak

Dive light (I don't have the big, honk'n label on it):

http://www.sarind.com/acatalog/cbps45h10mrfssmall.jpg

[edited: DIS-connected, I always travel with the battery DISconnected!]

I'm not sure this is actually a new development. You have never been able to carry scuba tanks of any kind on board aircrafts, even before 9-11. I've been seeing tanks on their list of no-nos for years.

ScubaTexan:
I'm not sure this is actually a new development. You have never been able to carry scuba tanks of any kind on board aircrafts, even before 9-11. I've been seeing tanks on their list of no-nos for years.

Not quite correct. I've carried SCUBA bottles many times. They simply needed to be drained to below 41 PSIG to comply with DOT and FAA hazardous materials regs.

TSA's justifications may be more a "make the inspector's life easy at the expense of the traveling public" deal.

Nothing new here. TSA has developed passenger harrasment into a fine art, without increasing the safety of airline passengers, for a couple years now.

I expect it's an x-ray machine issue, but yanking the valve off an empty tank for an internal inspection is not rocket science.

It's just one more reason to drive to the dive site, at least until they change the rules to make taking tanks across bridges or through tunnels in your trunk a federal crime...

FT

Back
Top Bottom