TSA ban on SCUBA tanks

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

ScubaTexan:
I'm not sure this is actually a new development. You have never been able to carry scuba tanks of any kind on board aircrafts, even before 9-11. I've been seeing tanks on their list of no-nos for years.
This is not true. You used to be able to check tanks as long as they were empty. Unaware of these new rules I traveled with an (almost) empty Spare Air in my checked luggage a few weeks ago and encountered no problems.

But the issue is that the rule now states "no tanks" and this means that if you encounter a strict TSA agent, you either won't get on a plane or have to throw out your tank, neither of which appeals to me.

Could ScubaBoard, representing 20,000+ members, bring this up with TSA?

Don't you guys see it? It's just another DIR conspiracy. No more SpareAir and pony crap. If only the CHP could enforce the same rule...

:biggrin:

I asked Spare Air what their opinion of the TSA policy was and their response was as follows.

Dear Ron,

Thank you for your inquiry. TSA has confirmed with us that it is legal to bring an empty cylinder in your checked on luggage. What seems to be confusing, is there Web site states "compressed gas cylinders" are not allowed. If your Spare Air is empty, it is not "compressed" and not a hazardous material. Also, Spare Air only contains compressed breathing air, not gas. We hope that this will be updated on there Web site shortly. Our Web site will be updated within the next couple of days.

To travel with Spare Air, TSA recommends that you remove the regulator from the cylinder so that the TSA agent inspecting your luggage can confirm that the cylinder is empty. Removing the cylinder is easy. Once you have purged all the air out of the cylinder, you simply unscrew the cylinder from the regulator. To make traveling with your Spare Air easier, we developed a traveling kit.

Traveling with SPARE AIR? You need the SPARE AIR Travel Pak to keep your unit protected and clean during traveling!
Includes:
*Protective cap for regulator threads
*Protective cap for cylinder threads
*3 extra tank o-rings
*Durable plastic reusable pouch for all

(TSA requires the regulator to be separated from the cylinder when flying)

Part# 963

You can order this online for $10.00 plus shipping at www.spareair.com.

Kindest regards,

Keith M. Thomas
Marketing Department

regardless of whether you are carrying ominous-looking light cannisters, camera parts, cylinders of any sort, or various doo-dads that the average TSA new hire would not have any clue about, there is one practice that will save you considerable time.

It requires paper, rubber bands, and catalogs. Print on the paper "THIS IS SCUBA EQUIPMENT" in large letters. Open the catalog to the page that shows Lights, Camera Gear, Spare Air, Tanks, whatever. Circle the object you packed with a large marker. Rubber-band the open catalog and the paper around the scarey looking object.

This requires (a) that they be able to read; and (b) that they possess the cognizance to recognize the similarity between the object and the photo on the catalog page; however, assuming those two abilities the TSA types should be able to identify the object in question as harmless.

This may save you some 'splainin'...

If your Spare Air is empty, it is not "compressed" and not a hazardous material. Also, Spare Air only contains compressed breathing air, not gas
You're kidding, right? Spare Air didn't actually send you that message, did they? I never knew that "compressed breathing air" isn't a gas. And to think I wasted all that time learning ideal gas laws when the stuff that goes in my tanks is not a gas. Those geniuses at Spare Air must have discovered a fourth state of matter in addition to solids, liquids, and gasses that their magic little product stores.

"Compressed gas cylinder" in the 36 sections of the Code of Federal Regulations where it is found is a noun, not a noun modified by the adjective "compressed." I'm not terribly surprised that the guy is from the Spare Air marketing department, and his message has the "travel kit" sales pitch on it.

I wonder what color the sky is in Spare Air's little world.

ScubaRon:
I asked Spare Air what their opinion of the TSA policy was and their response was as follows.

Dear Ron,

Thank you for your inquiry. TSA has confirmed with us that it is legal to bring an empty cylinder in your checked on luggage. What seems to be confusing, is there Web site states "compressed gas cylinders" are not allowed. If your Spare Air is empty, it is not "compressed" and not a hazardous material. Also, Spare Air only contains compressed breathing air, not gas. We hope that this will be updated on there Web site shortly. Our Web site will be updated within the next couple of days.

To travel with Spare Air, TSA recommends that you remove the regulator from the cylinder so that the TSA agent inspecting your luggage can confirm that the cylinder is empty. Removing the cylinder is easy. Once you have purged all the air out of the cylinder, you simply unscrew the cylinder from the regulator. To make traveling with your Spare Air easier, we developed a traveling kit.

Traveling with SPARE AIR? You need the SPARE AIR Travel Pak to keep your unit protected and clean during traveling!
Includes:
*Protective cap for regulator threads
*Protective cap for cylinder threads
*3 extra tank o-rings
*Durable plastic reusable pouch for all

(TSA requires the regulator to be separated from the cylinder when flying)

Part# 963

You can order this online for $10.00 plus shipping at www.spareair.com.

Kindest regards,

Keith M. Thomas
Marketing Department

Until such time that TSA changes their wording, I would suggest you get a ruling from TSA (on TSA letterhead) before attempting travel with a Spare Air or pony. This would be simular to getting an IRS ruling on a deduction that falls in a "grey area". If you get a hardheaded TSA security agent (like I did when I called TSA), and don't have an official ruling to hang your hat on, you may not get past the check point. I learned from a past exprience with the Feds that "I was told" doesn't matter to them. They tend to go buy the book. In passing this doesn't surprise me, ask any three Federal Agents a question, and you may get three different answers... the system is just to big and complicated for everyone to be on the same page all of the time.

ScubaRon:
I asked Spare Air what their opinion of the TSA policy was and their response was as follows...
Ron,

If Spare Air has done their legwork as a responsible manufacturer, they should have already contacted TSA on this issue and have something on TSA letterhead that explicitly allows depressurized Spare Airs to be allowed in checked-in baggage.

If I was in Spare Air's position AND I cared about my customers, I know I would!

As long as you have Spare Air's ear, could you contact them again and ask if they have such documentation and if they'd be willing to fax a copy to you.

If they DON'T have such documentation, then this really sucks because they're saying "Hey, no skin off our nose if your cylinder gets confiscated (we might be able to sell you another!) and oh, by the way, wanna buy something from us?"

Roak

I would definitely print out the page and take it if you're carrying aboard any of the permitted items as well - I've been forced to check regulators in FLORIDA by a TSA agent who said "snorkelling gear" was not permitted in the cabin. Not too many dive tourists passing through Ft Myers apparently.

That link does expressly say "dive tanks or..." - that definition can EASILY be read as any tank including Spair Airs not being permitted anywhere on the aircraft. Ask Spair Air for a copy of the advise from TSA, or as mentioned, get it on TSA letterhead, scan it and make it a PDF, and post it here so other users can borrow it. Pony/no pony diving philosophies aside, it would suck to be told you can't take your gear along when you're already at the airport.

My favourite is my canister light battery - a shrinkwrapped package of 10 generic green cells with a wire sticking out one end - that badboy ALWAYS gets a note wrapped around him with a rubber band. You would think it shows up on X-Ray pretty clear, but I've only once found a TSA note in the bag saying it was opened for inspection...

That "cheap' airline flight can cost you a bunch more than you expected if you have something the inspector doesn't like, including your "attitude."

A possible $10,000 administrative fine is a bit over the top!

http://www.usatoday.com/usatonline/20040220/5944418s.htm

The solution is to "take their law away" and have congress come up with something that may actually work at a reasonable price.

FT

I have to agree that the TSA generally is a source of hassles without any justifiable increase in security. To be honest, we feel safer when we depart a European airport returning home!

BTW, anything can be a restricted item , at anytime This from the TSA):
"The prohibited and permitted items list is not intended to be all-inclusive and is updated as necessary. To ensure everyone's security the screener may determine that an item not on this chart is prohibited."

My wife and I fall into the "most hassled" category, we are competitive parachutists and often drag dive gear along as well. Skydivers had enormous problems with destroyed gear until our national orgization, the USPA stepped in and negotiated a set of liveable, written proceedures for the TSA inspectors. Why haven't we seen anything from the scuba indrustry along this vein?

All the best, James

Back
Top Bottom