Trip Report A Week (25 Nov - 3 Dec) at Cayman Brac Beach Resort (CBBR)

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Hoag

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
Hi everybody, I just got back a week or so ago from a week at the Cayman Brac Beach Resort (CBBR) traveling with The Dive Academy in Oakville Ontario on a trip organized by Fly & Sea Dive Adventures. I have never traveled with The Dive Academy before and it had been over 3 years since my last dive trip, so I was expecting an "interesting" trip.

FWIW, there is a quote that I believe is normally attributed to Jimmy Buffett that goes something like this:

"The difference between a Tourist and a Traveler becomes apparent when things inevitably go sideways. A Tourist freaks out and expects somebody else to solve the problem, but a Traveler comes home with a good story."

In that light, I try to always be a traveler, so here is my story.

Logistics:
The original plan was to fly from Toronto to Grand Cayman on Air Canada and then connect to a Cayman Airways flight to Cayman Brac on Saturday 26 November, but Air Canada cancelled its Saturday non-stops to Grand Cayman so we had to come up with another plan.

The new plan had us leaving Toronto on Friday 25 Nov and flying to Miami where we would spend the night, and then catch a direct flight to Cayman Brac out of Miami on Saturday. This new plan also meant that we had to fly through Miami (with about a 6 hour layover) on the way home. It also meant that we had to "deal with" TSA and clear US Customs, something that a direct flight to/from the Caymans would have avoided. No big deal. On the way there, we clear US Customs in Toronto and on the way home, with a 6 hour layover, we had lots of time to clear US Customs, gather our luggage, walk to the Air Canada counter and check in for the flight to Toronto.

All the flights were on time (give or take a few minutes) and had no significant issues. As a side note, having a NEXUS Card was worth every penny and although there is not a "NEXUS" line at the US Customs in Miami, when I asked, I was told to go through the "Global Entry" line (which had no one in it so I just walked right up to the scanner and then the Kiosk :)) On the way home, since the security at Cayman Brac does not meet TSA standards, we had to get off the plane in Grand Cayman and clear security again (then get right back on to the same aircraft) before our flight to Miami.

Accommodations and Check in:
CBBR was simple, charming and quite clearly optimized for divers. The rooms were clean and functional. Registration both at the Front Desk and at the Dive Shop was all done online in advance, so it was simply a matter of showing ID, and a Credit Card for incidentals and they handed you a wrist band with an RF chip in it as your key. The wrist bands were water proof but would not stand up to a dive. Luggage was left and the staff would take it to your room. Once there, it was time to go check in at the dive shop. As mentioned above, registration with the dive shop was already done, so it was mostly just a matter of showing up to confirm that you matched the face on your C-Cards, tell you what boat you are on and give you a numbered mesh "boat bag". You were asked to put your dive gear (except your mask & computer) into this mesh bag and place it outside your door by 7am the following morning and the staff would pick it up, take it to the boat and set your gear up for you.

Our group was on a meal plan that included 3 meals per day. The meals were tasty, hearty and plentiful with a good variety that offered something for just about every palette. The meals were set up as a buffet style. Not that this was unique to CBBR, but the sunrises each morning were breathtaking!
Cayman Brac51.jpg

Screenshot 2022-12-11 at 11.57.36 AM.png

The Dive Op:
There are three dive boats, and our group had a boat (the "Coral Sister") basically to ourselves. CBBR runs what they call a "Valet Diving" service. When you get to the boat, your gear will be stowed under your seat, your BCD will be mounted on one of your tanks and your reg will be in position but not attached. The first thing that they do is to analyze the (NITROX filled) tanks. They hand you the log and they do it for you showing you the results which you would then log the date, O2 content and tank number. The O2 was very consistent at 32% and I never had to change it all week. After both of your tanks were analyzed, they would attach your first stage and move on to the next diver. Prior to leaving the dock on the first morning, we also had a comprehensive safety briefing.

Cayman Brac57.jpg

The diving had fairly benign and conservative profiles:
1st dive (morning): 90 feet and 60 minutes (Typically a wall or a wreck. We did dive the Tibbetts one day.)
2nd dive (morning): 50 feet and 50 minutes
3rd dive (after lunch): 50 feet and 50 minutes
Throughout the week, my NDL rarely moved off of "99".

For the most part, the diving was what I affectionately refer to as "Toilet Bowl Diving". Turquoise water, with unlimited visibility, few if any waves, virtually no current and no colder than room temperature.

As for what we saw ... well, we saw the Tibbetts of course, but there were Turtles, Lobster, Sting Rays and Spotted Eagle Rays and lots of Grouper. A pleasant surprise was that although we did see some, the Lionfish were "few and far between".
Cayman Brac22.jpg

Cayman Brac17.jpg

Cayman Brac41.jpg
Cayman Brac48.jpg

Prior to a dive, you would put on your wetsuit, grab your mask & fins and go to the stern of the boat. The crew would meet you there with your BCD (and tank) and you would get into your mask, fins and BCD at a seat on the swim/dive platform on the stern. After the dive, remove your fins in the water and hand them up to the crew member, then you would again sit on the chair, and after you undid your BCD, the crew would take it back to your seat and switch it over to your new tank.
Note: If you are someone who freaks out when other people touch your gear, CBBR may not be an ideal fit for you.

Due to high winds, there was a Small Craft Advisory on the last day, and the day's dives were cancelled since the boats could not depart their mooring spots.

Conclusions and Final thoughts:
First and foremost, it was so good to get back into the water after a 3+ year hiatus! Just to complicate things, I also had not one, but 2 new dive computers (I traded in my Oceanic ProPlus3 and Geo2 for a Shearwater PERDIX AI and a Teric.) and I love my new computers. As a recreational/vacation diver, they are far more than I will ever need, but I prefer AI, and since there isn't an AI version of the Peregrine, this is what I got.

From a logistics point of view, it would have simplified things if the original plan of flying into Grand Cayman and from there to Cayman Brac could have been executed, but hey, there are certainly worse places to spend a Friday night than Miami. This did, however add one more night (and hotel cost) to the trip and it meant that we had to deal with both TSA and US Customs which wouldn't have required if we could have had the direct flights.

The resort was well laid out for our needs and was extremely focused on making our time in Cayman Brac as enjoyable as possible. The staff at the hotel (and bar) as well as the crew on the boat made sure that our every reasonable request was looked after, and the service was impeccable.

The dive op was well organized and was focused on making our vacation as easy as possible. Some may find that they do not want someone touching their gear and may not like the "Valet Diving", but personally, I am OK with somebody else catering to my every whim.

I guess, the real test of a trip like this would be "Would I go back?" and for me, that would be a resounding "Yes! In a heartbeat!"

I would also be remiss if I did not mention the team at Fly & Sea and Paula & Dean from the Dive Academy all of whom worked very hard behind the scenes to give us the appearance that the trip was effortless.

Postscript: I got an email from Fly & Sea Dive Adventures a few days after I got home. It had a voucher attached valid for the 2 missed dives that were cancelled due to the weather on the last day. The vouchers are valid for 2 years and are valid at either CBBR or at any of their sister resorts.

Hey @Hoag, what a timely report! I was on GC ((GC trip report)) at the same basic time you were on Brac.

Have you dived GC and if so how would you compare it to your Brac experience?

I like the nassau shot; do they seem fairly accepting to diver proximity? On GC they are pretty skittish.

How fishy/interesting were the wall dives on Brac, what other dive destinations would you say that Brac diving (particular from the fish/marine life quantity angle) compares favorably too?

And lastly, the picture of the resorts pool looks very nice; what about the beach or other beaches around Brac, if you spent time doing lounging on your trip.

Thanks!

Hi everybody, I just got back a week or so ago from a week at the Cayman Brac Beach Resort (CBBR) traveling with The Dive Academy in Oakville Ontario on a trip organized by Fly & Sea Dive Adventures. I have never traveled with The Dive Academy before and it had been over 3 years since my last dive trip, so I was expecting an "interesting" trip.

FWIW, there is a quote that I believe is normally attributed to Jimmy Buffett that goes something like this:

"The difference between a Tourist and a Traveler becomes apparent when things inevitably go sideways. A Tourist freaks out and expects somebody else to solve the problem, but a Traveler comes home with a good story."

In that light, I try to always be a traveler.

Logistics:
The original plan was to fly from Toronto to Grand Cayman on Air Canada and then connect to a Cayman Airways flight to Cayman Brac on Saturday 26 November, but Air Canada cancelled its Saturday non-stops to Grand Cayman so we had to come up with another plan.

The new plan had us leaving Toronto on Friday 25 Nov and flying to Miami where we would spend the night, and then catch a direct flight to Cayman Brac out of Miami on Saturday. This new plan also meant that we had to fly through Miami (with about a 6 hour layover) on the way home. It also meant that we had to "deal with" TSA and clear US Customs, something that a direct flight to/from the Caymans would have avoided. No big deal. On the way there, we clear US Customs in Toronto and on the way home, with a 6 hour layover, we had lots of time to clear US Customs, gather our luggage, walk to the Air Canada counter and check in for the flight to Toronto.

All the flights were on time (give or take a few minutes) and had no significant issues. As a side note, having a NEXUS Card was worth every penny and although there is not a "NEXUS" line at the US Customs in Miami, when I asked, I was told to go through the "Global Entry" line (which had no one in it so I just walked right up to the scanner and then the Kiosk :)) On the way home, since the security at Cayman Brac does not meet TSA standards, we had to get off the plane in Grand Cayman and clear security again (then get right back on to the same aircraft) before our flight to Miami.

Accommodations and Check in:
CBBR was simple, charming and quite clearly optimized for divers. The rooms were clean and functional. Registration both at the Front Desk and at the Dive Shop was all done in advance, so it was simply a matter of showing ID, and a Credit Card for incidentals and they handed you a wrist band with an RF chip in it as your key. The wrist bands were water proof but would not stand up to a dive. Luggage was left and the staff would take it to your room. Once there, it was time to go check in at the dive shop. As mentioned above, registration with the dive shop was already done, so it was mostly just a matter of showing up to confirm that you matched the face on your C-Cards, tell you what boat you are on and give you a numbered mesh "boat bag". You were asked to put your dive gear (except your mask & computer) into this mesh bag and place it outside your door by 7am the following morning and the staff would pick it up, take it to the boat and set your gear up for you.

Our group was on a meal plan that included 3 meals per day. The meals were tasty, hearty and plentiful with a good variety that offered something for just about every palette. The meals were set up as a buffet style. Not that this was unique to CBBR, but the sunrises each morning were breathtaking!View attachment 758091
View attachment 758094
The Dive Op:
There are three dive boats, and our group had a boat (the "Coral Sister") basically to ourselves. CBBR runs what they call a "Valet Diving" service. When you get to the boat, your gear will be stowed under your seat, your BCD will be mounted on one of your tanks and your reg will be in position but not attached. The first thing that they do is to analyze the (NITROX filled) tanks. They hand you the log and they do it for you showing you the results which you would then log the date, O2 content and tank number. The O2 was very consistent at 32% and I never had to change it all week. After both of your tanks were analyzed, they would attach your first stage and move on to the next diver. Prior to leaving the dock on the first morning, we also had a comprehensive safety briefing.

View attachment 758095

The diving had fairly benign and conservative profiles:
1st dive (morning): 90 feet and 60 minutes (Typically a wall or a wreck. We did dive the Tibbetts one day.)
2nd dive (morning): 50 feet and 50 minutes
3rd dive (after lunch): 50 feet and 50 minutes
Throughout the week, my NDL rarely moved off of "99".

For the most part, the diving was what I affectionately refer to as "Toilet Bowl Diving". Turquoise water, with unlimited visibility, few if any waves, virtually no current and no colder than room temperature.

As for what we saw ... well, we saw the Tibbetts of course, but there were Turtles, Lobster, Sting Rays and Spotted Eagle Rays and lots of Grouper. A pleasant surprise was there although we did see some, the Lionfish were "few and far between".
View attachment 758089
View attachment 758090
View attachment 758092View attachment 758093

Prior to a dive, you would put on your wetsuit, grab your mask & fins and go to the stern of the boat. The crew would meet you there with your BCD (and tank) and you would get into your mask, fins and BCD at a seat on the swim/dive platform on the stern. After the dive, remove your fins in the water and hand them up to the crew member, then you would again sit on the chair, and after you undid your BCD, the crew would take it back to your seat and switch it over to your new tank.
Note: If you are someone who freaks out when other people touch your gear, CBBR may not be an ideal fit for you.

Due to high winds, there was a Small Craft Advisory on the last day, and the day's dives were cancelled since the boats could not depart their mooring spots.

Conclusions and Final thoughts:
First and foremost, it was so good to get back into the water after a 3+ year hiatus! Just to complicate things, I also had not one, but 2 new dive computers (I traded in my Oceanic ProPlus3 and Geo2 for a Shearwater PERDIX AI and a Teric.) and I love my new computers. As a recreational/vacation diver, they are far more than I will ever need, but I prefer AI, and since there isn't an AI version of the Peregrine, this is what I got.

From a logistics point of view, it would have simplified things if the original plan of flying into Grand Cayman and from there to Cayman Brac could have been executed, but hey, there are certainly worse places to spend a Friday night than Miami. This did, however add one more night (and hotel cost) to the trip and it meant that we had to deal with both TSA and US Customs which wouldn't have required if we could have had the direct flights.

The resort was well laid out for our needs and were extremely focused on making our time in Cayman Brac as enjoyable as possible. The staff at the hotel (and bar) as well as the crew on the boat made sure that our every reasonable request was looked after, and the service was impeccable.

The dive op was well organized and was focused on making our vacation as easy as possible. Some may find that they do not want someone touching their gear and may not like the "Valet Diving", but personally, I am OK with somebody else catering to my every whim.

I guess, the real test of a trip like this would be "Would I go back?" and for me, that would be a resounding "Yes! In a heartbeat!" I would also be remiss if I did not mention the team at Fly & Sea and Paula & Dean from the Dive Academy all of whom worked very hard behind the scenes to give us the appearance that the trip was effortless.

Postscript: I got an email from Fly & Sea Dive Adventures a few days after I got home. It had a voucher attached valid for the 2 missed dives that were cancelled due to the weather on the last day. The vouchers are valid for 2 years and are valid at either CBBR or at any of their sister resorts.

Great trip report, it sounds like you had a wonderful time! Just an FYI, in the past I have seen examples of divers that didn't want anyone setting up their gear and the dive staff acquiesced and let them do their own thing. We've been on multiple Reef Divers trips and we have no complaints about their gear-handling, in fact, I really like "valet diving!"

You should try the Little Cayman Dive Resort next, a very similar experience to CBBR. I love both the Brac and the LC resorts and dive ops, but the Bloody Bay Wall is really something special!

Hey @Hoag, what a timely report! I was on GC ((GC trip report)) at the same basic time you were on Brac.

I like the nassau shot; do they seem fairly accepting to diver proximity? On GC they are pretty skittish.

How fishy/interesting were the wall dives on Brac, what other dive destinations would you say that Brac diving (particular from the fish/marine life quantity angle) compares favorably too?

And lastly, the picture of the resorts pool looks very nice; what about the beach or other beaches around Brac, if you spent time doing lounging on your trip.

Thanks!
Hi,

I have been to Grand Cayman, but it was almost 15 years ago, so I don't think that there would be a fair comparison.

On the walls, the life is starting to recover as the lionfish numbers get smaller. (The thoughts are that the Lionfish may have just moved deeper to get away from the recreational divers and the DMs who are hunting them. This has allowed the other fish populations to begin their recovery.)

The Nassau Groupers were very plentiful and friendly. The one that is in the pic just hung out and ignored me totally.

As I mentioned, it has been over 3 years since my last trip, so it would be hard for me to give a timely comparison, but I would guess that it would have been similar to Turks & Caicos as far as the diving (although TCI is much more wall oriented).

There is a beach at CBBR, here is the only shot that I got that really shows it (taken from the dock):
Cayman Brac01.jpg

Great trip report, it sounds like you had a wonderful time! Just an FYI, in the past I have seen examples of divers that didn't want anyone setting up their gear and the dive staff acquiesced and let them do their own thing. We've been on multiple Reef Divers trips and we have no complaints about their gear-handling, in fact, I really like "valet diving!"

You should try the Little Cayman Dive Resort next, a very similar experience to CBBR. I love both the Brac and the LC resorts and dive ops, but the Bloody Bay Wall is really something special!
Thanks for the advice! We had planned to go to Little Cayman and dive Bloody Bay Wall one day, but the weather didn't co-operate, so we missed out on that. Apparently it is only about a 20-30 minute boat ride, so it is very achievable for the 1st dive of the morning and then head back to a Cayman Brac Dive Site during the surface interval.

Thanks for the advice! We had planned to go to Little Cayman and dive Bloody Bay Wall one day, but the weather didn't co-operate, so we missed out on that. Apparently it is only about a 20-30 minute boat ride, so it is very achievable for the 1st dive of the morning and then head back to a Cayman Brac Dive Site during the surface interval.

We have taken advantage of that option in the past during good weather. When we stayed at CBBR, a dive boat would take us over to LC to di a couple of dives on the Bloody Bay Wall. And when you are staying at LCBR they usually offer divers the opportunity to take a trip over to Brac to dive the Tibbetts Wreck along with another Brac Reef.

In the past (before Covid) they used to offer a 3 dive day (weather permitting) to the opposite Sister Island. You would have lunch at the neighboring resort and get the opportunity to check out the property; but I don't know if they are still offering that option?

Thanks!

Cayman Brac is a lovely little island but it is far less developed for tourism than Grand Cayman, but the CBBR has a fabulous pool and it also has a nice little beach, see the photos at the link below.

There is nothing like the 7MB on Brac, the beach entry may be a little rocky and there may be some weeds but it's a nice place to relax and play IMO. The resort also has a lovely, small spa that your wife might enjoy.

We did a VRBO house rental in cayman brac.... We dove with brac scuba shack, and they run a really good operation… we had lunch at the CBBR and it seems like a good place to be… we were just less than impressed with the scuba

I am just back from CBBR and the OP summed up the experience well. The staff there at the bar, dive shop and restaurant went out of there way to be hospitable. The dive op at reef Divers is absolutely top notch, the boats are roomy 46 foot Newtons and you can go for the tour or do your own thing as long as you are back at the boat within the time limit. A number of the divers stretched out their bottom time and the DMs were cool with it. The number of divers on the boat was 18 at the start of the week and down to 6 at the end. Even with 18 divers, the boat did not feel crowded. Our boat had Yannis, Oli and Laura as captain and DMs, and they were a joy to dive with. I can't say enough good things about the dive op, it is stellar.

I have dived GC and the Brac many times and IMO, the reefs are much healthier and fishier on the Brac. There is no Stony Coral Disease there yet but it is inevitable. Highlights of the trip included reef and nurse sharks, lobsters, morays, eagle rays, and all the usual smaller critters. There was a mobula ray seen on one of our dives but it was in the shallows and I did not personally share in the experience.

Can't wait to go back there.

I am just back from CBBR and the OP summed up the experience well. The staff there at the bar, dive shop and restaurant went out of there way to be hospitable. The dive op at reef Divers is absolutely top notch, the boats are roomy 46 foot Newtons and you can go for the tour or do your own thing as long as you are back at the boat within the time limit. A number of the divers stretched out their bottom time and the DMs were cool with it. The number of divers on the boat was 18 at the start of the week and down to 6 at the end. Even with 18 divers, the boat did not feel crowded. Our boat had Yannis, Oli and Laura as captain and DMs, and they were a joy to dive with. I can't say enough good things about the dive op, it is stellar.

I have dived GC and the Brac many times and IMO, the reefs are much healthier and fishier on the Brac. There is no Stony Coral Disease there yet but it is inevitable. Highlights of the trip included reef and nurse sharks, lobsters, morays, eagle rays, and all the usual smaller critters. There was a mobula ray seen on one of our dives but it was in the shallows and I did not personally share in the experience.

Can't wait to go back there.
We had Yannis & Oli as our Captains & DMs too (on the Coral Sister) with Jucky arriving later in the week.

Back
Top Bottom