TSA ban on SCUBA tanks

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

mempilot:
Do you even fly? Are you not familiar with the difference between carry-on screening security and checked luggage screening? I'm talking about carry-on vs checked Ron and you know that. You just want to argue. OK, I'll explain.

Car drops you off at the curb. You enter the airport. You walk up to the the ticket counter. You check in and check your disassembled cylinder. It gets carried to the back and is screened for bomb residue and anything else suspicious.

Now you get in line at the security checkpoint for your terminal. You put your carry-on bags on the belt. They screen it for contraband. You take it to your airplane.

You have access to your carry-ons, not your checked baggage.

You know this though.
Million mile member at AA, so I think I know what I am talking about. What you describe is how it used to work until about 1.5 years ago. Today after I check-in I have to carry my check-in luggage to the security checkpoint, which is supervised by TSA personnel. They run the luggage through the large X-Ray machine (or whatever it is), open it up if necessary. When all is OK they will lock the luggage, give me the key and then process it. I then go in line for the security checkpoint as you described.

chrpai:
Mem-

I think you and ScubaRon are reading a sentance and interpreting it two different ways. The sentance says scuba tanks can not be checked. You are interpreting it as meaning compressed tanks, and he is interpreting it as saying no tanks, period, end of story.

I am interpreting it as ambiguiosly worded and could lead to unpredictable results by the people doing the screening of your checked luggage.

Also, I'm sure you won't attack me for my lack of airport knowledge considering my background...
Chrpai, you are exactly right. The TSA has an ambiguously worded sentence on their website. That's why I have informed people to call their airline before attempting to bring a tank, disassembled or not, to the airport. I don't attack anyone, until they get flippent. :) Chrpai, I know you would never do that.

ScubaRon:
Million mile member at AA, so I think I know what I am talking about. What you describe is how it used to work until about 1.5 years ago. Today after I check-in I have to carry my check-in luggage to the security checkpoint, which is supervised by TSA personnel. They run the luggage through the large X-Ray machine (or whatever it is), open it up if necessary. When all is OK they will lock the luggage, give me the key and then process it. I then go in line for the security checkpoint as you described.
That is the same thing I described. Every airport is set up slightly different. There is screening for checked bags and screening for carry-on bags. Trust me. I spend a lot more time in airports than you do.

In Memphis, the ticket agent tags your checked luggage and places it on the TSA supervised X-ray belt behind the counter. If they do a hand search, you'll find a notice in your bag. In KC, they hand search it in front of you, or you can leave it with them and move on. This is the same in Ft. Lauderdale. I've seen a lot of different configurations of the same thing.

Thanks for the input. Yes I will call my air line.

chrpai:
Mem-

I think you and ScubaRon are reading a sentance and interpreting it two different ways. The sentance says scuba tanks can not be checked. You are interpreting it as meaning compressed tanks, and he is interpreting it as saying no tanks, period, end of story.

I am interpreting it as ambiguiosly worded and could lead to unpredictable results by the people doing the screening of your checked luggage.
Keep in mind that the old rules specifically mentioned tanks containing compressed air. But you are correct that the only point that matters is how the TSA agent interpretes it. And my guess (and the experience of many on this forum ) is that some will say "no problem" and others will say "no way".

mempilot:
That is the same thing I described. Every airport is set up slightly different. There is screening for checked bags and screening for carry-on bags. Trust me. I spend a lot more time in airports than you do.
man, you type fast!!!:biggrin:
I'm sure you're spending more time in airports than I do, but the point that started this discussion was that you stated (or so I thought) that TSA did not check any check-in luggage and that therefore the rules don't apply.

mempilot:
Do you even fly? Are you not familiar with the difference between carry-on screening security and checked luggage screening? I'm talking about carry-on vs checked Ron and you know that. You just want to argue. OK, I'll explain.

Car drops you off at the curb. You enter the airport. You walk up to the the ticket counter. You check in and check your disassembled cylinder. It gets carried to the back and is screened for bomb residue and anything else suspicious.

Now you get in line at the security checkpoint for your terminal. You put your carry-on bags on the belt. They screen it for contraband. You take it to your airplane.

You have access to your carry-ons, not your checked baggage.

You know this though.

I find methods used in Europe, Middle East and Asia to be more sensible. When you enter the airport, you and your luggage are screened first. Then you can go to the check in counter. That way if there are any problems or they want to open your bags you are there to answer questions.

I have also found that most of the countries that live with terrorism are still more reasonable, logical, and consistant about travel restrictions without compromising safety.

jonnythan:
Which law or statute would this violate? Could you give a citation?
It's call SSI or Sensitive Security Information. For the layman that would mean what the lines, objects and colors of the item being x-rayed mean when shown upon the screen.

chrpai:
Mem-

BINGO!!!!! You win!!!

You have hit the nail on the head! HQ tells us one thing, our FSD says something else and common sense and training do the rest......hence why Washington says "NOTHING GOES", our FSD says "what ever Washington says but I don't want to here any complaints" and what we actually do is..." hummmmm SCUBA tank eh...x-ray ok....any pressure?...no?...ok...look inside...ok....have a nice flight!

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom