TSA ban on SCUBA tanks

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

chrpai:
The monitors are right there for anyone to glance at. There are no physical barriers to prevent anyone from looking.
Which airport? Are they the carry on x-ray machines (small) or the L3 checked baggage ones (mini van size)?

I'm just glad to hear of someone being helpful since all I ever hear is *****ing and moaning about how stuff can't go. Funny though we have never refused any SCUBA gear in checked baggage here in Tampa and I have inspected tons!

The person boardig the BA flight to LGW who was mad because he couldn't carry a golf club on board. Key word being "club"

eandiver:
Which airport? Are they the carry on x-ray machines (small) or the L3 checked baggage ones (mini van size)?

Tp name a few: SAN, LAX, ALB, MSY, and ATL. I've flown through those airpots in the past few months and have been able to see the monitors on all of them. It's pretty difficult to see the monitor for the line that you're *in*, but usually the monitor for the line next to you is, well, right next to you. It's no big secret or anything, and there's no reason other people shouldn't be seeing them. It's kinda fun to watch while you're waiting in line.

These are carry-on machines, obviously.

eandiver:
For a screener to let a passenger or other unauthorized person do that could result in charges being brought against the screener under federal law.

Which law or statute would this violate? Could you give a citation?

eandiver:

DCA. Its the new ones the installed after 9-11 right by the ticket counters that process checked luggage. I wouldn't say they are as big as a mini van, but they are pretty big. There is about a 5' partition barrier around the area, but nothing to stop you from looking at the big old color monitor.

I'm just glad to hear of someone being helpful since all I ever hear is *****ing and moaning about how stuff can't go. Funny though we have never refused any SCUBA gear in checked baggage here in Tampa and I have inspected tons!

I was going to Denver on a ski trip with a buddy. On the way out they said ski boards ( those short trick skis with no poles ) were ok. On the way back they wouldn't allow it. It was a major pain in the butt because his plan was to fly with no checked luggage and of course the line at the ticket counter to check luggage was horific, but thats the airlines fault not TSA's fault.

I flew recently with several individuals that brought pony tanks through Logan airport, AFAIK none of them had any TSA difficulties with those.

FAA - Safety, will it cause the aircraft to go down?
TSA - Security, can it be used as a weapon or bomb?
Airline Policy - Does it pose a HAZMAT threat?

The FAA puts regulations (laws) in place, which are called Federal Aviation Regulations (FAR's). These are based on data gathered in accident investigation by the National Transportation Safety Board (NTSB). The FAA used to be the sole federal entity responsible for aviation security as well. The FAA used to set the security protocols and guidelines, and then approve private sector security firms to carry out the actual operations. After 9/11, congress determined that this process was not enough. Under the Department of Homeland Security, they bundled Customs, Immigration, Border Patrol, and many other related departments focused on protecting US citizens from external threats. They also formed the Transportation Security Administration (TSA) to provide security for air operations in and out of the country. Their hot points change as intelligence dictates to respond to new threats.

The FAA still governs airline operations, which also include crew, passengers, and cargo. They dictate what an airline can and can’t do, all regarding safety, like how a crew operates a plane and their procedures and protocols for handling certain situations. This includes transportation of hazardous materials, carry-on or checked, onboard passenger carrying aircraft.

Airline policy starts with the foundation of rules set forth by the FAA and TSA, but is not limited to them. All airlines implement much stricter guidelines than required by either of these agencies. This also includes the transportation of HAZMAT aboard passenger carrying aircraft.

For instance, the FAA may say that transporting an empty gas cylinder is ok, as long as it is packaged and stored properly in compliance with HAZMAT rules. The TSA may say that you can’t take it through security, as it could be reassembled on the other side and used as a weapon or bomb, but you may check it as baggage in compliance with the FAA and airline policies. The airline may say that they will only accept these cylinders as checked baggage if they are used for life support for the person traveling in relation to medical reasons. Under this scenario, the airline says yes to check it, the FAA says yes to check it, and the TSA says yes to check it.

Most airlines used to allow this. Now they are starting to decline this type of cargo on passenger aircraft. Many airlines will no longer let you check HAZMAT because it is too difficult for them to be guaranteed that the packaging and labeling was done correctly. You can still ship this via cargo only aircraft though.

You’ll ask, what about having the valve off the tank? They cannot be certain what you had stored in the cylinder and whether it possesses any residual harmful material. So, they say no. Before TSA and heightened security, you could do this and only a very few even wanted to mess with it. Now that they say no, everyone is up in arms.

It is a combination of aircraft accidents and incidents caused by HAZMAT, heightened security risks and threats, and tighter airline policies due to controlling costs that have led to these bans. You may not think that flying is any more secure, but you are wrong. For every one piece of contraband that gets through security today, 100 got through pre-9/11 and 1000 are caught and stopped from getting on board. If the increased hassle or inconvenience keeps one more aircraft from being used as a weapon, then I think we can all live with it. Try flying in and out of Israel, and ask yourself if we have it bad.

Our government agencies and airlines have a tough job to do. You may not agree with everything they do, but know that it is being done with the best intentions in mind, yours.

mempilot:
It is a combination of aircraft accidents and incidents caused by HAZMAT, heightened security risks and threats, and tighter airline policies due to controlling costs that have led to these bans. You may not think that flying is any more secure, but you are wrong. For every one piece of contraband that gets through security today, 100 got through pre-9/11 and 1000 are caught and stopped from getting on board. If the increased hassle or inconvenience keeps one more aircraft from being used as a weapon, then I think we can all live with it. Try flying in and out of Israel, and ask yourself if we have it bad.

Our government agencies and airlines have a tough job to do. You may not agree with everything they do, but know that it is being done with the best intentions in mind, yours.

Hey good post. I'll admit I'm aggravated at times when I see the stupid things TSA does. What aggravates people the most is a lack of information. If we know why things are done a certain way, or why policy is different at each airport etc. then it's easier to deal with these issues. That's how I feel anyway. Thanks for posting the statistics. It'll help my tolerance level at the next airport fiasco.........

Interesting post and very timely as I am going down to Coz on Saturday and would like to bring a (big steel) tank as I plan to spend alot of time down there. Can anyone help me:

1) So I vent the tank and take the valve off, O2 clean it down South. What's the problem?

2) If they refuse to allow me to check the tank in. I bring a friend who drives it back home, right?

3) If I really wanted to dive doubles where I am going, I could bring my double strap, soft BCD and dive independent Al 80's.

4) More of a worry to me would be the tank weighs 40 lbs and Air Canada might consider me overweight and charge me.

crispos:
Interesting post and very timely as I am going down to Coz on Saturday and would like to bring a (big steel) tank as I plan to spend alot of time down there. Can anyone help me:

1) So I vent the tank and take the valve off, O2 clean it down South. What's the problem?

2) If they refuse to allow me to check the tank in. I bring a friend who drives it back home, right?

3) If I really wanted to dive doubles where I am going, I could bring my double strap, soft BCD and dive independent Al 80's.

4) More of a worry to me would be the tank weighs 40 lbs and Air Canada might consider me overweight and charge me.
I suggest you call your airline in advance. Our airline states on their web page that they will not take scuba cylinders. Your airline will tell you whether they will accept them as checked baggage. They sometimes know the regs better than the feds since the airline can get fined for letting stuff through. Obviously, your not carrying on a big tank, so it would have to be checked. A checked tank with the valve off meets some airline's requirements, but not all. Canada and Mexico have pretty much adopted the FAA's regulations with a few mods. Work it out in advance and save yourself a lot of headache.

wmspdi:
From the TSA web site listed above:

Transporting Scuba Equipment

Some scuba gear can be transported on-board the aircraft. Please refer to the guidelines below:

* Regulators, Buoyancy Compensators and mask, snorkel and fins are all acceptable as checked or carry-on baggage.
* Dive tanks or any compressed gas cylinders are prohibited from carry-on and checked luggage.
* Knives and tools are prohibited from carry-on luggage. These items should be packed in checked luggage. Any sharp objects packed in checked luggage should be sheathed or securely wrapped to prevent injury to baggage handlers and security screeners.
* Spear guns are prohibited from carry-on luggage. These items should be packed in checked luggage
Line 2 here refers to intact tanks, not disassembled tanks. Individual airline policy will dictate whether you can check a disassembled tank. BTW, you'd be suprised how much boxed ammo you can check in your luggage as long as you declare it.

Back
Top Bottom